Sign in to follow this  
richard.pykett

E21 Group 5 Build

Just getting my head around how to post pictures here.
Some progress shots of the Group 5 build this week. Rear wheel tub fabrication.

20150205 205631

20150205 205645

20150205 205726

20150205 205830

More at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elan-Motorsport/662026323873874?tab=public&view

Thanks for looking - Richard

• Like 2

Thanks James - yes Clecos are brilliant thing, but buy 3 x more than you think you need! Got both my lots from Trade Tools (last 100 they gave me a deal on and I think were $1.79 + GST) Understand that Aviation Parts in Albany ( http://www.apparts.co.nz/) will do them for around $1.40. I just use a 1/8th stub drill rather than the recommended #30 drill. Seems to work just fine.

What are you building?

Richard.

Hi Richard

Been following you for a while on Facebook. Great work! Can't wait to see the m50 build. Keen us posted.

Hi Richard

Been following you for a while on Facebook. Great work! Can't wait to see the m50 build. Keen us posted.

Hi Niroy - thanks. It will be a while before we actually build the engine - will almost leave it until last so that it doesn't have to sit for ages before getting fired. Lots to do before then, however plan is to do Molnar rods, 8.5 pistons and leave it at 2.5 to make it a revver. Steve Murch has a nasty grind for the cams and reckons it should run to 8000 quite happily. Not far off starting the inlet and exhaust manifolds. Planning on around 600 flywheel hp and hope that the weight is around 1000kgs.

R

Hi All. Just posted an update on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elan-Motorsport/662026323873874?tab=public&view

Be sure to check out the RHDEngineering M50 ITB manifold we are using as a base for our dual plenum setup. Excellent value from https://www.facebook.com/rama.rhdengineering?fref=ts

Thanks for looking

Richard

What throttle bodies are you running with those runners? Do they supply them?

What throttle bodies are you running with those runners? Do they supply them?

Hi Ash - not going to run ITB's as there is apparently no gain on FI. Plan is to do a single TB feeding into a conical plenum (Audi rally car) and then into a more normal plenum. Rama does do a complete M5x ITB setup for $1500 AUD. https://www.facebook.com/rama.rhdengineering

Cheers

Richard.

New update just posted on facebook - TTI.com sequential etc...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elan-Motorsport/662026323873874?tab=public&view

Edited by Skintkarter

Awesome work on the plenum (actually in general, but for some reason the plenum excites me extra).

Out of curiosity, is there a formula to work out the size / shape of the chambers?

Awesome work on the plenum (actually in general, but for some reason the plenum excites me extra).

Out of curiosity, is there a formula to work out the size / shape of the chambers?

Thanks Cam

Yes there probably is a formula to use, but it's difficult to sift through the mine of info and misinformation out there. Recommendation from Steve Murch was to only go to a 70mm TB to retain response (response is what we are after, as I don't think that power is going to be the issue). As far as I understand it, the crucial things are the transfer ports, the cross sectional area of which need to equate to the cross sectional area of the TB. The shape and volume of the main plenum was probably more packaging driven than anything else - definitely no CAD flow analysis! Some of the cones go down to a smaller diameter at the minor end, but would become even more of a pain to fabricate, so mine is 70 to 35.over 550mm. Main plenum is 80 x 120 x 550. Time will tell.

Thanks for the response. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this comes together, especially since you are making such regular and pretty rapid progress.

Nice merge collectors. Looking forward to seeing the spagetti come together!

I think I used 15º also, but no mill to do those nice copings...

Out of curiousity, why 62º not the 60º you'd expect?

I had to use (lots of) paper templates out of my CAD model and the angle grinder :(

Nice merge collectors. Looking forward to seeing the spagetti come together!

I think I used 15º also, but no mill to do those nice copings...

Out of curiousity, why 62º not the 60º you'd expect?

I had to use (lots of) paper templates out of my CAD model and the angle grinder :(

Thanks Glen. Dunno why you over cut, but every post I read on the subject said you had to. Did the first ones on water pipe and at 60, they were way off at the pointy bit. Cut the second practice one at 62 and was fine. No doubt my youngest who has just started engineering at Auckland Uni, will be able to explain it to me shortly. Four into ones - cut at 92 also. Started the snakes today and it looks much harder than I thought it would be. Hopefully I haven't backed myself into a corner with the turbo placement and exhaust outlet.

Was just looking at your FB page again - more good progress!

You should definitely think about using the Link for boost control. I can't speak for whether it does a good job on the control part, but I have been fiddling with the potential setup on mine (sadly on the bench - car is nowhere near being fired up) and you can do cool stuff:

- two open or closed loop boost maps, change by toggle switch

- adjust boost onset by gear

- if closed loop (and you have a spare analog input) you can hook up a rotary switch with resistors so it becomes a stepped voltage input, and have different boost targets for each position (as many positions as on the switch - I have decided six) AND different if you like on each of the above maps. It's not just different boost levels either - they are boost target at specified rpm, so you can have more or less aggressive boost mapping (progressive boost onset, rather than a big spike, and on an engine/turbo like yours you can probably programme in a little boost increase at the top end where it might normally fall off)

- you can have the boost maps set against anything you like (rpm vs boost target is what I describe above) - I am still thinking this through, but for example can see a benefit in having rpm vs throttle position (although I think this means losing the rotary switch boost control) to possibly make it easier to drive in the wet

- the toggle switch for the second map can also switch to a 2nd fuel map and 2nd ignition map. Perfect for 98RON vs more boost, more ignition timing, more fuel, more power E85...

-

Edited by CamB

Thanks Cam - sorry only just read your post. Wow, you have thought quite a bit about this! You are way ahead of where I'm at and I have much to learn in this area. We should talk more about this later on. I was pretty much going to talk to a tuner (thinking Hans at E&H Motors) with experience with the Link and also the TTI gearbox and do what they said.

Is this for your 02?

Thanks Cam - sorry only just read your post. Wow, you have thought quite a bit about this! You are way ahead of where I'm at and I have much to learn in this area. We should talk more about this later on. I was pretty much going to talk to a tuner (thinking Hans at E&H Motors) with experience with the Link and also the TTI gearbox and do what they said.

Is this for your 02?

Yep - for the 02, although it will likely take me a long time to get anywhere near a dyno so I expect you will be completed before I have made heaps more progress. I am of course happy to answer questions and give my 2p worth on anything, but I have zero experience other than spending time asking questions / playing with settings / testing. It just happens that I spent a lot of time looking into boost control... The Link is pretty straightforward to setup, and of course the magic is in actually tuning it.

I have basically set myself the challenge of getting the car running by myself, then will get it tuned properly. Or maybe will try myself - the engine in it for mockup purposes is just an old m10B18, so if I blow it up its not a big loss.

(Edit - forgot to say a lot of the driver around research for the ECU was to make sure I only made a loom once and understood all I needed / could / would want to do. I only have a Storm so am limited by number of inputs, but I see enormous value in logging a session or race and then checking afterwards for undesirable things (like high temps or low oil pressure)).

Edited by CamB

This is the most amazing build I've seen in a long long time. Well done sir!

Cheers Jono!

BIt slow at the moment as I'm heading into uncharted waters with the bodywork. Started to make the ali boot lid frame and flanges but needed a bit of input from Mike Roberts (metalshaping god extraordinaire) to guide me back onto track with panel gaps and heights etc... Lots to learn!