Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Bridgestone My02

Does anyone have an opinion on Bridgestone MY02's? I am needing some 225/45/17s and I can get these at around $185 per tyre. Its hard to find reviews on them but I did find that they had a treadwear rating of 300 so I assume from that they are not that sticky. As my E36 coupe is a weekend car I don't mind a tyre that wears faster as long as its a bit sticky. If I can do that for around $200 or less per corner then just like Prince Charles I'm all ears!

get something premium used

alternatively RE002s are about $240ish in E36 size.

The MY02's aren't a bad tyre - I had them on our old Impreza.

For not more more money (like Andy says!), you can get the RE002, which is a stunning tyre for the money! They really perform - The E39 and the Touran both have them now.

I got a set of RE002's for the Touran a couple of months ago, in 225/45/17's for under 800 (I think it was $740) as there was a buy 4 for the price of 3 sale and I usually get a good deal from my tyre guy anyway. If it's not urgent, wait for the next sale B)

Edited by Allanw

That's cheap new per tyre. But they aren't that flash. Not a bad tyre, just not a stunning tyre either. The best set up for my coupe I thought out of all the various combo's was 245/40-17 all round fyi. But buying new in this size is a bit more expensive which is why I always went premium used with matching pairs. Just my opinion.

"Premium - used" is an oxymoron.

The best performance is in the first half of the tyres , plus most 'used' tyres' are close to or past their use by date.

Stick to new if you value your ride and enjoy driving.

So my used pzeros and contis are not worth switching to from my re002s?
  • Like 1

There are some secondhand Toyo Proxes R888 on TM 4mm and 7mm left, super sticky but I am concerned that at 4mm 2 of them are past their best. I would prefer new just for the piece of mind.

your findings on your one set of RE002s are inconsistent with mine, i have had them on 4 of my own BMWs now and have not found your wierd tread wear.

I replaced my most recent set with Contis, more expencive almost twice the price (if you were buying new), and i dont think they are any better.

I almost always buy second hand premium tyres from dealers etc. quite often you will get cars come to NZ then the dealers upspec them with bigger tyres, then sell off the stuff they came over on the boat with. my set of Contis on my E30 right now were only 4 months old, and still had the paint on them. they were from a Polo or a Golf, forget which one. they had never been driven on basically. even had the usual wayward handling every tyre has when brand new before being bed in

• Like 1

Well my pzeros and contis were free and so on the second half of their lives. Maybe for race tires .. or for some bling skid tires. Whaat you're smoking up pzeros? Hehe

• Like 1

Well I have decided to save a few more pennies and get some better tyres, with the front end rebuilt it feels great and tyre quality is starting show itself as I wind through Whitemans Valley every day. So I am looking at some Nitto Invo's after a recommendation from a chap who drives an S6. Or perhaps Some Re002's.

I too have had real problems with the RE002s switching from the 001's just over a year ago and at first they were a good tyre but wear was getting pretty bad on the back wheels for a 6 month old tyre (i don't light the rears either) and took them back to Bridgestone, who said it must be that particular batch but replaced them under warranty, then a few weeks ago I was tightening the handbrake and noticed the inside walls of one of the new rear tyre's had begun to de-laminate i took the car back in, told them I don't want these dangerous POS on my car and to either source me some Asymmetric F1 - 2's or give me my money back!

S001s have been absolutely brilliant and holds to the road, which installs confidence. Done 10,000kms on them and wear okay, no difference from my02 that I used to run on my old car. Noise is a little less on the S001 and the biggest difference is the stiff side walls whigh make the turn in more accurate, especially when your pushing hard.

MY02 were okay, but performance is no were near what you get out of a S001. Price wise, MY02 cost me about $170-180 a corner and I got 4 S001 for the price of 3 - I think about $990 for four tyres.

Just had a quote from Bridgestone on a set of Re002's, they have a buy one get the next for half price so a set would cost me $660. I have read both good and bad on them, the guy at Firestone hinted they have been upgraded since they first hit the showrooms. Anyway I drove an Audi S4 with them on and I couldn't fault the feel, the grip seem good but I had nothing to compare them with.

I did not like the RE002A's on my car, TBH they ruined the car... on the upside, they ruined he car for ages as they last and last, 22,000km.

RE050A are awesome.... but only lasted me 9,000km.

I am still of the belief the best compromise tyre on the NZ markey and NZ retail prices is the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. I got 20,000km out of a set and they were really good all round.

2C.

I know Michelins are better.. but I could not afford them at the time, Bridgestone offered a buy 3 get one free that sold me and Goodyear had Quadruple Fly Buys and a flexible payment deal.

Also, currently running the Goodyear F1 non Asymmetric on my daily and they are honest.. nothing on a Asymmetric but great value and good grip for you average non wanker driver.

Re003 has been out for a few months. No doubt we'll see them here at some stage.

I'll give these a miss but will try the re11 replacement Re71r if I can get hold of a set.

Sounding like þhe F1s are excellent value for money.

The RE002s i had on a previous car handled OK, but were unreliable. When i got the car it needed the RE002s on the front replaced as they delaminated (despite being almost new), and apparently thats really common.

I am still of the belief the best compromise tyre on the NZ markey and NZ retail prices is the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. I got 20,000km out of a set and they were really good all round.

I have had F1 Asymmetric 2's on for a couple of months now, nice ride, grippy in the dry and quiet but have noticed wet weather grip (on round abouts) is not as good as the 001's and 002's

No argument here.

Different tyres work on different cars, I have never had many people agree with my opinions on tyres, well short of other guys who actually race etc.. and that is normally talk of semi slicks etc.. The RE002's were sh*t house on my daily 2011 Megane RS, as in they were removed and thrown away. They were so bad in the wet they actually confused the car's systems, they would have traction control and stability control freaking out where on other tyres it would not have intervened.

The car is over steer bias though, a lot different to non M BMW's that are prone to understeer, its set up a lot different than most would expect, in terms of wet weather grip, the GY F1 AM2 was in another league, that is actually were the Good Year outshone other tyres at around that $450-500 mark the most... what they failed on was steering feel, they had soft side walls.

Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Super Sports? They seem to be regarded as the best fast road tyre around the places I look on line, but I have never tried them.

Still a big thumbs up for the RE050a from me, I have set on my RS new that are about to die, but I drove the 2015 Megane RS275 (sub 8 min Nurburgring basher) with them fitted on a track day a few weeks back and they were awesome, so good we could not get the car to loose control on the wet "emergency lane diversion" test, that is cones laid out with a water truck trowing water on the track, you swerve in at say 120kph, even drivers who hadn't done any previous track work didn't manage to loose the car or have the stability control intervene. Impressive.

• Like 1