Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Awesome cars picture thread.

I'm sure you know about TST's 1million mile one...

They remind me of those 'generic' Fords and American cars you'd see in 80s TV. The design is so simple and obvious, but on point. I'm a fan.

One thing people often miss is the target market and era they were designed in, the designs back then were for middle - upper class baby boomers with conservative values.. so such boxy big and dull saloon cars were just perfect for their tastes.

The Japanese love that 60-80s American styling too... Just look at the Toyota Century V12 and earlier V8, it's a new car that has 50 year old styling!

That said the new LS design has moved away from being so conservative and is a little more edgy like most big V8 sedans

Were wandering off topic I guess but this new toy, I'd have to describe as awesome fun and the looks are growing on me

post-5616-0-12030200-1424581276_thumb.jp

I may be in the wrong place... but what a car!

post-41073-0-20005500-1424595361.jpg

• Like 10

Original LS400, aka Celsior in the JDM market. I read a fantastic book about the whole story written by an author that had unseen documents and interviewed some key figures involved during the developmental stage in the 1980s. I just love it's relentless attention to detail, the quality inside and out is exceptional, and the subtle exterior detailing holds many interesting features.

LS400_2.jpg

"The Japanese behemoth pumped more than $1 billion dollars into project F1. The F in this case stood not for "Formula" but for "Flagship." At its height, F1 employed 3700 of Toyota's top engineers, split into 24 engineering teams. They built 450 mules and 900 test engines and logged more than 1.5 million development miles -- incredible numbers, by any standard. Toyota bet that gasoline would once again be cheap and plentiful, so it started work on the F1's heart, a 4.0-liter, 32-valve V-8. Producing 250 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, the engine was very potent by the standards of the day"

My favorite would be the 1997-8 facelift 2nd Gen complete redesign with the VVTi engine making the car good for a 0-60 sprint of 6 seconds flat. One quick barge.

lexus.jpg

First gen celisor or ls400 I'm sure you get to beat up in street fighter 2!

• Like 1

^ Hahah wow, I remember this too! That has just oppened up one dusty corner of my mind.. must be back in the days of the Sega Mega Drive we had in the early/mid 90s

258930d1348238957-im-sure-we-all-remembe

• Like 1

^ Hahah wow, I remember this too! That has just oppened up one dusty corner of my mind.. must be back in the days of the Sega Mega Drive we had in the early/mid 90s 

Posted Image

Good ol Ehonda lol

I like lots of chrome..............

post-2002-0-52233900-1424842630.jpg

• Like 2

I like lots of chrome..............

Posted Image
Me too

Posted Image

Has to be real chrome not plastic chrome................

And style.

Me too

3d00dbee6e54ccc5c232e1846873525e.jpg

Haha eww god.

I hate those Z40 Lexus convertibles so much... lovelyyyy engine and gearbox, horrendous body style.

• Like 1

Agreed, one of the most horrendous body styles ever. And they chrome wrap it... Turd rolled in glitter anyone??

• Like 2

Agreed, one of the most horrendous body styles ever. And they chrome wrap it... Turd rolled in glitter anyone??

It's was the lowest point for Lexus IMO, they just lost complete focus and started producing utterly dull designs across the range, even the LS400, come LS430 looked awkwardly proportioned and the smaller mid range ES series ended up looking like a car imitating a praying mantis...

The SC430 did take the take though... especially when it came to the story behind it's design phase:

"The design team at Toyota's luxury division talked the bosses into sending them to the French Riviera for several weeks to study the "elegance, beauty, class and richness" of the surroundings to come up with the motivation to shape the sheet metal of the new 2002 Lexus SC430 hardtop convertible.

But the trip was well worth the time and money because, the designers said, they got "visual inspiration" from the luxury yachts in the harbor and incorporated "some of the character lines" from those yachts into the body of the SC430.
Don't know exactly which yacht so inspired the design crew. The finished product gives off hints that boats carrying the BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Porsche logos must have been in port the day the stylists spent time along the water ogling the sea-going craft"
1259583.jpg
Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

Haha eww god. 

I hate those Z40 Lexus convertibles so much... lovelyyyy engine and gearbox, horrendous body style. 

Bahahah so do I to be honest. It was parked at one tree hill one time. My mrs snapped a pic and sent it to me. I had to have a laugh. Too much chrome. Jeepers
  • Like 1

the pictures don't do these cars justice,the dimensions/ proportions in the flesh are gobsmacking from basically every angle

post-5616-0-19546100-1427785653_thumb.jp

Not a huge fan of that Maserati. They look like a huge Mitsubishi FTO, they are a massive car. I guess I don't like coupes that are big, GT's etc. I do hear the 2016 model is going to be reinvented as a proper hard core car though, so that should be interesting to see.

Not a fan of the Jap car scene either, its probably more the people than the cars...

But, I love this Rocket Bunny concept based on the lovely S14 platform, I'm sure most of you are familiar with it. Sorta had a e30 quality. Reminds me of Tony's project.

RBS14A-1-800x533.jpg

• Like 3

I have soft spot for these:

212.jpg

And these:

Lamborghini-Miura-4.jpg

One of them is considerably more attainable than the other!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

I actually quite like big GT style coupes. The Maser certainly isn't a sports car to drive (not in 4.2 proper auto spec anyway) but it meets most needs, looks good, sounds good, is comfy and not slow.

True. It all depends on what you are after I suppose. There is a place for a nice GT car. I guess I just see them as pointless, compromised and showy for sake of being showy, not my style at all.

I would always end up in a Porsche for the same money.

Or perhaps a Vantage N430.

Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage-N430-front-three

• Like 1

I think it's the accented intake but for some reason it made me think of these:

Spotted_Pufferfish_Arothron_meleagris_02

• Like 3

Amazing colours. I like colours.

Posted Image

Oh. And I love rally. This is my favourite picture of the week.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4