Sign in to follow this  
rexila

E34 Steering - Decrease Turning Lock Angle

Hi All

Progress is slow but steady on my M50b25tu E34. So far the manual conversion is done along with the usual other bits and pieces.

Currently I'm in the process of fitting some bigger wheels and brakes and then lowering the suspension.

The wheels are 19x9.5 at the rear and 19x8.5 at the front. The wheels clear the struts and car body perfectly with mm to spare. The only issue is the inside of the front wheels upon full lock will rub against the cars engine/whatever is in the way. The first thought was to space the offset but this requires certification.

Before I have a good look and start to play with it, does anyone have any ideas to fix this? Can I add material to a steering lock stop (if there is one on these cars)? If it is a bolt can I space it to reduce turning? From memory (the trial fitting was a while ago) the steering locks out due to the steering box and arm lengths, which might be a bit of a nightmare.

The wheel track is only 10mm further inwards on each side from memory so not much modification is needed.

Cheers

Sam

Isn't a straight forward task of adding steering rack limiters to your rack ? ( nylon split washers into rack ends)

e34 has a steering box .

have seen washers welded to the track rod stop brackets

What are your offsets and tyre sizes? E34's are bloody cavernous up front.

What are your offsets and tyre sizes? E34's are bloody cavernous up front.

yeah, my thoughts too.

spacers would be a better solution.

Either way, you will need to certify the vehicle for the modification, and i would almost put money on it that spacers will be much easier to get through than any steering mechanism modification

Andy - I was hoping a little turning stop extension wouldn't get noticed and therefore no certification required.

After having another look under the car a quick option would be wheel spacers.

Neal - You may be onto a winner. Ordering some material to make something up.

The current wheels are 15 inch style 2s with 205/65 tyres. Offset is ET20.

I've got 235/35R19s to go on the front and 245/35R19s on the rear. Offset is ET25.

The rolling diameter is very similar, the only difference being width and 5mm of offset. 20mm spacers would be needed to get the inside of the tyre at the same track as standard. I wonder what the minimum inside-of-tyre track width is for the front wheels on an E34?

If anyone is interested, these are the front rims:

20150214_154506.jpg

20150214_154930.jpg

Edited by rexila