Sign in to follow this  
EuroBoy

"Overdrive" switch?

Today when putting my interior back in the e30, my dad and i found a switch/button under the acc. pedal. We found the wire that went into it and hooked it up. When compressed by the acc. pedal the car "goes faster".

Does everyone have this? Am I special?

Ive just never found it before as it was dissconected.

Any info on this would be great guys.

Cheers, Ryan

That my friend is the 'kick-down switch' for an auto. Which drops the car a gear when you click it.

Edited by Deftones

oh yeah... the kick switch, yeah it drops down a gear... not all the time .. depends on the rpm / gear your in.

Does everyone have this? Am I special?

Ive just never found it before as it was dissconected.

My M3 didn't have this, so you must be special....... I think you only get about 5 "power boosts" every time you take the car out, so use them wisely my friend!

Some must use an electronic switch to activate the kickdown. Mine had the "switch" but it was simply an adjustable spring loaded button that worked by resisting the full depression of the accelerator pedal. When pressed harder, the button depresses allowing a touch more accelerator - this is connected to the throttle control cable on the auto. When in correct adjustment, this last little bit of pull on that cable acticated the "kickdown" provided this wouldn't cause the engine to go over redline.

Yours appears to be electronically controlled if it has a wire as opposed to my mechanical one.

Guest Andrew

they all do have kickdown - on e30 at least: some are cable kickdown - some are electronic.