Sign in to follow this  
eZ_Harry

Pre Purchase Help: Oil Leak?

Hello all,

I'm currently looking at a BMW 320i 2007 and while viewing it today we saw a considerable amount of oil at the bottom of the engine bay. It was only on the left side at the bottom. Could anyone advise me on whether this sounds like a serious issue or it is something as simple as the gasket. I have attached a picture which shows you what area of the engine the oil was.

Thanks!

post-52224-0-82838800-1423905795.jpg

Just curious...your post title says "Pre purchase" but your car in your profile is listed as BMW 320i - have you purchased it already?

Don't buy it, that model is known to be poor.

Buy a 323i or 325i etc

• Like 1

The 320s are prolific oil leakers. I would avoid it like the plague.

Just curious...your post title says "Pre purchase" but your car in your profile is listed as BMW 320i - have you purchased it already?

No, I just thought it was compulsory to say what you owned and I therefore just listed what I was planning on getting.

I think there is a fair bit on this forum and online about how poor (and expensive to maintain) that engine is. Ask forum sponsor Glenn (B.M.W. Ltd)... He will tell you all you need to know, and if that doesn't convince you to look for something else he can also do a faultless PPI.

• Like 1

I think there is a fair bit on this forum and online about how poor (and expensive to maintain) that engine is. Ask forum sponsor Glenn (B.M.W. Ltd)... He will tell you all you need to know, and if that doesn't convince you to look for something else he can also do a faultless PPI.

Yep.

The 6 cylinder versions will probably actually save you money long term.

Plus someone might actually want to buy it come selling time - the 4 cylinder ones (N42 engine???) might be better known by then! (plus the 6's are generally more desirable, have better resale, go better, and aren't really hungry at all)

Edited by Allanw

Thanks for the help, its been a while since I checked the forum but considering I am looking for a first car I want something very reliable that isn't going to cost me anything. Might look at getting something like a corolla unless you have any other suggestions?

I want something very reliable that isn't going to cost me anything.

No manufacturer has ever built one of those models yet

• Like 4

The e90 320 is basically the evolution of the e46 318 (n43 and n42 motors respectively) is that correct?

ie they share the same leaky pedigree?

Yup, they leak.

The e90 uses the n46 motor which is similar to the n42 from the early to mid e46's.

The later e46's (like mine) have the n46 motor also.

My suggestion is avoid the 4 cylinder e46's and e90's, and get a six cylinder.

I have both and the 6 is far superior in every way.

Yep I've had experience with 2 e46 2.0 4cyls and my mate has an e90 320i. They've all had leaky oil problems.

Sort of makes you wonder why a so called prestige motor vehicle built by a manufacturer that is supposed to pride itself in making quality vehicles would continue to make something that leaks on one model and carry it over to the next? If a simple thing like a gasket is failing change your supplier to one that can supply a gasket that won't leak. I have lost a lot of faith in BMW in recent years due to their parts not going the distance and the high cost of the parts they sell you that will do the same thing. no wonder there is a large parts aftermarket.

Sub standard parts? And a bad reputation? How do you sell that as being acceptable?

its clearly not hurting new car sales. the cars were fine when they were new, its only now that they are old and crusty (/out of warranty) that they are falling to bits. Car makers dont cry many tears over old cars failing, they want you in their latest stuff when it gets old.