Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Lost international parcels

Anyone have experiences where they have bought from overseas and the package has been lost in transit to NZ?

I made an order last month from ECS Tuning, Package was sent 13th Jan, Arrived in NZ on the 20th and hasn't been tracked since. NZ Post won't help as it was never processed and given a NZ Tracking number so hasn't gone through to Customs, so they reckon.

ECS won't help at all, they told me to keep waiting and they will put it through USPS to eventually tell me "There's no point going to USPS as they can't do anything because it arrived in NZ".

I ended up filing my own claim with USPS to investigate and plan on opening a claim with PayPal to refund my payment as I read and found that with proof of non delivery you can file for a refund if the recipient does not receive the items.

Anyone had any experiences with this? Pretty much going down the only path I have but wondering how I could possibly trace it locally?

I have to wait 17 working days for USPS to respond on my claim after their investigation and I will be fast running out of time to file a refund in the 60-day window for PayPal :/

post-2139-0-76727200-1424055891.png

Edited by e30ftw

Where you given a track number when you purchased the item?. If so you can use the USPS track sight to see were they last had it logged then proceed to make a claim with Pay pal giving them all the info you have. Also contact ECU tuning and tell them what has happened and what you are doing to see if they will help or advise you. Don't delay or as you mentioned the time period for making a claim with Pay pal will expire and you will loose every which way. It's one of the pit falls of buying overseas some times things get de-railed best of luck .

how can they say it had arrived in NZ when their counterpart, NZ post has no record of it? as such you have grounds to lodge a complaint with PayPal.

Seems to me that it is definitely still under USPS's purview, given that it has yet to be given a NZ tracking number. I've had stuff stuck in customs before, but I've never had an issue getting a NZ tracking number.

I wouldn't wait to file a refund request through Paypal. Just get together all the documentation that you can and go for gold. Worst that happens is that it all sorts itself out and you have to un-refund or just re-order.

Here is ECS' useless response after asking why they won't raise a case with USPS, after telling me to wait a week more and they will - Then refusing to.

John,

The reason being that usps does not have this package. It goes to your countries postal service which is why we cannot guarantee delivery. we cannot file a claim with someone who does not have this. I would suggest contacting your countries postal service.

Thank you

If delivery was not garunteed, why the f**k would I buy from you. Never using ECS again.

see if ECS has a facebook page,

vent your frustration on there for all his follows to read,

thats what i did, felt good too.

• Like 1

Social media is great sometimes. Also maybe try call them .. If no luck ask to speak to a manager and keep going up the food chain

Seems like a sh*t reply, they don't seem interested in helping at all.

Similar thing happo to me. Package coming from a us company I won't name. Track and trace indicated it was in Scandinavia and had been there for weeks. Sender wanted nothing to do with sorting it out, rang usps my self and they kept telling me the sender had to sort it. Countless phone calls early in the morning to sort it out, in the end usps sorted it out for me.

Go to Paypal and lodge a dispute. Go to the Resolution Centre and lodge a claim that you didn't get your item. You will be very surprised at how fast things will happen The seller has to fix it or Paypal will give you your money back. Make sure you tell them you have tried to resolve the matter of non delivery with the seller. It's all part of the guarantee that Paypal provides and has nothing to do with insurances that have been mentioned in this thread.

Edited by FIAT 131R
  • Like 1

the law in NZ, if you organised your own shipping you would have to wear it. if the seller organises it, it is thier problem. The freight company is in a contract with the entity who initiated it. you are not paying freight company directly. you are paying supplier for the goods, and to organise shipping.

This should extend to overseas, however I dont know for sure. but as i see it, ECS are in a contract with USPS to deliver the goods. If USPS dont, the seller is likely to be required to find out situation etc.

Had a similar issue last year with one of my packages - in the end it was customs who had the package and held it up without notifying either end , they classified it as commercial ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah haven't been too impressed by ECS as of late. US$ Prices have crept up and so has the cover all bases shipping.

I have been using youshop for my ecs stuff and other bits and consolidating with great results

Had a similar issue last year with one of my packages - in the end it was customs who had the package and held it up without notifying either end , they classified it as commercial ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that happen previously, But I don't recall losing tracking of the item and got a letter from them. How did you find out customs was holding it?

I feel for you, it's happened to me. But before you react further make sure you have the correct perspective.

- ECS did nothing wrong correct? They sent the package in good faith and you got a tracking number to confirm correct?

It seems to me that trying to cancel the transaction on PayPal or publicly shaming ECS on social media to be a bit out of line no?

I hate dickheads who vent on social media when they have no place doing so or spew their opinions in the wrong direction.

Unless you got shipping insurance you accepted responsibility for delivery I'm afraid.

But I tell you what - I 100% guarantee you that Customs or NZ Post will find that package for you if you tell them it's full of Anthrax.

I never said they did anything wrong and I never said I was going to vent to social media over it. I was simply asking if anyone has had experiences with this as I am taking the only route (that I have found) I have since ECS has been very unhelpful in tracking it down.

I have been using youshop for my ecs stuff and other bits and consolidating with great results

I normally do too, but this was quite a big order..

The problem is in NZ. It is a NZ Post issue - their tracking is abismal.

I had exactly the same issue with an item posted from the US, using USPS, and the USPS tracking showed it landing in Auckland, and clearing Auckland airport around December 17th. OK... Christmas.

It was eventually delivered on January 24th.

During that time I had contacted NZ Post on several occasions, and they invariably said the item was 'in transit to NZ' and that if I had an issue, I should refer to the sender. I pointed out that ISPS had tracked the item through Auckland airport, but NZ Post variously didn't have a response, or suggested this was incorrect.

On January 24th, having received the item (delivered by Rural Post) I phoned NZ Post again to ask where my package was. 'In transit...' etc. I asked how they knew this was the case and was advised it was because their system did not show it as having entered NZ.

I then told them I had just received it, and asked how this was possible given NZ Post tracking didn't show it being in NZ. This was quickly turned around as my wasting their time asking for info about something I knew the answer to!

The same thing has since happened with something my daughter ordered, and with another item I am expecting from Europe. Fortunately none are valuable, having a maximum value including shipping and insurance of perhaps NZ$50 (probably less), but it is inconvenient.

^ some of you have no idea how postal and carriage of goods laws works.

If the sender can prove they've sent it they are absolved of further responsibility. Period.

But being a business which would ship/ post the majority of their products, good customer service, and trying to resolve a postal issue, should be expected, no?

Interesting. The Mrs just had this exact problem a week ago.

Got the run around from both DHL and NZ Post.

Eventually the package just arrived with no update to the tracking ticket at all.

It was around 10 working days late.

Best to try and use one service door to door. Can cost you an arm and a leg though.

^ some of you have no idea how postal and carriage of goods laws works.

If the sender can prove they've sent it they are absolved of further responsibility. Period.

Not sure that is the case. In the instances where I have had issues with non-delivery, both domestic and international, I have been told that I cannot do anything about it and only the sender can contact the postal services involved. There is an "international agreement" that covers it. I got bored reading it on about the 15th page of blah.

Might not be the senders responsibility as it has transferred to the postal service, but it is still with them to pursue the non-delivery.

• Like 1

I can't remember where i was reading liability laws for the U.S, but NZ Consumer law states goods delivered by a business that are delayed / lost, the business is liable not the consumer.

I know it's probably not the same for international, but I did read similar when reading through stuff the other week about lost international packages.

Anyhow I have raised a case with PayPal, I'm not blaming ECS but maybe this will get their attention. I'm not exactly going to sit back and let my $500+ go down the drain. Maybe as others have said, it will turn up eventually. Would prefer it did too..Save me having to reorder again.

• Like 1

I can't remember where i was reading liability laws for the U.S, but NZ Consumer law states goods delivered by a business that are delayed / lost, the business is liable not the consumer.

I know it's probably not the same for international, but I did read similar when reading through stuff the other week about lost international packages.

Anyhow I have raised a case with PayPal, I'm not blaming ECS but maybe this will get their attention. I'm not exactly going to sit back and let my $500+ go down the drain. Maybe as others have said, it will turn up eventually. Would prefer it did too..Save me having to reorder again.

Paypal is terrible to deal with if your a business, it's a very pro consumer service, so if you lodge the claim, ECS will want to do all they can to remedy, so paypal doesn't just take the money back. That becomes an even bigger headache for ECS.

Edited by vtgts300kw

They have no obligation to, that's the 'customer service' element above.

We hope they'd all choose to help out in this situation but we can't expect them to do so.

PayPal set the wrong expectations with users and work in the very grey areas of consumer-level international trade. They shouldn't offer a non-delivery refund service at all, it's not supported by law unless they (PayPal) covers any loss. But who can afford not to accept PayPal? It's wrong of them to do this to vendors. And PayPal prohibits credit card charge backs by Terms of Service which is also a questionable practice as they're eroding a guaranteed right you have. Yes you can avoid this erosion by not using their service but what's the real alternative? It's wrong of them to do this to consumers.

People think they're entitled to a refund because PayPal will give them one and that's wrong. All PayPal does is take the money off the vendor (and charge them transaction fees) and that's wrong if the vendor has acted in good faith.

If people want to insure themselves against postal loss they should do exactly that and purchase insurance.

Doesn't mean I don't feel stink for the OP, it's happened to me (including bad customer service) and it sucks!

If I buy something from a vendor and it dosent turn up, and I ring up USPS and they tell me there is nothing they can do until the sender lodges a enquiry to them and the vendor cannot be bothered to do that for me said vendor can go and f**k them selves and I will never buy from them again.

Yes ECS sent the package and its not really their problem from then on, but if they cannot take the time to get on the phone to help sort something like this out....

They have no obligation to, that's the 'customer service' element above.

We hope they'd all choose to help out in this situation but we can't expect them to do so.

PayPal set the wrong expectations with users and work in the very grey areas of consumer-level international trade.

In order to have no obligation they would have to clearly state the terms of shipping, wouldn't they? If they organise the shipping from their end, does that not make the goods "Free Into Stock (F.I.S.)" and the sellers responsibility until delivered rather than Free On-Board?

Let me put it another way which might make it easier to comprehend M3AN's position.

s 210(2) of the Land Transport Act relates to service of infringement notices: "If any such notice or request is sent to a person by post, then, unless the contrary is shown, it is to be treated as having been delivered to him or her when it would have been delivered in the ordinary course of post, and in proving the delivery it is sufficient to prove that the letter was properly addressed in posted"

So?

If an infringement is sent to you and the sender (Police, Council etc) can prove it was sent, it is automatically considered received.

Why?

To avoid parties refusing responsibility by claiming "I did not receive anything in the post".

Of course seems unfair as we all know sometimes the post as a matter of fact does not turn up (see: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10876193 and see: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1396748/Postie-accused-over-missing-mail-items ) but it is contrary common sense to blame, for example, the Police (as the sender) for the nondelivery of an item by the service provider (NZ Post).

• Like 1