Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Spacers - WoF/cert requirements?

I read somewhere, recently, of a vehicle owner experiencing problems at WoF time because the garage thought he might have spacers fitted. As it turned out, this wasn't the case and what could be seen was a casting mark, or similar.

However, are spacers not allowed? Or, do they require certification? If I was using any they would be of correct hub-centric design rather than some slabs of metal bolted to he hub. I've no plans at the moment in this direction, but thought I'd see if anyone can advise for future reference.

TIA.

Check on the NZTA web-site, there are certain sizes that are allowed only with a cert, and some sizes / types that are not allowed at all. Some sellers don't inform you of this when you buy them.

Post from the LVVTA website attached.

It's important to differentiate between spacers and adapters - they are handled differently.

It'd be easy to argue about the cost involved, as the cert could easily cost more than the spacers. However, I appreciate the safety aspect, but even so would have expected this to be within the abilities of a WoF tester to check, rather than requiring an involved process and certification plate.

I dare say a lot of people using spacers have some very ordinary wheels they use for a couple of days of the year... ;) Of course, that could lead to roadside issues should a particularly zealous traffic officer get involved.

Interestingly, spacers as supplied and fitted by a high-volume manufacturer are allowed, without additional certification work. I wonder how many WoF testers know about Porsche factory option M415 which increases rear track by 21mm, 1mm more than appears to be the maximum allowed under the NZTA regulations? And this is with just the use of longer wheel studs, and not an engineered screw fitment.

Did BMW offer ex-factory wheel spacers on any models?

It's so easy to pick holes in legislation!

LVVTA_STD_Wheels_&_Tyres1.pdf

• Like 1