Sign in to follow this  
Rohil

M20B25 into a M20B23 E30

Hi there,

So i have a '85 323i that has a tired M20B23 in it and i was looking to swap in an M20B25. I am confident doing everything EXCEPT the wiring, any tips/pointers/help on this? Also because the 323 is L-jet, what will i need to change besides the engine itself and the ECU to make it a motronic? I will be keeping the auto 4 speed for now as i know its possible but once the engine is done id put in a Getrag 260. I am not doing the swap right now, just need a bit of info on what ill need to do etc. I understand things like engine mounts etc can be used, but i will be upgrading them anyways.

Reasons for staying M20 and not going M50/52 is that i have been working on the engine for a while and know my way around it reasonably okay. Parts are plentiful and information is everywhere. Its a cheap simple little engine that i can handle so hence the choice if you were wondering

As always, ANY help would be much appreciated as this swap isnt covered a lot on the interweb.

Thanks,

Rohil

Edited by Rohil

I've got a m20b23 with loom/computer for 300$$$ if you want that? Plus $100 shipping

Do you have the M20B25 engine? Best to get one as complete as possible, from a facelift, motronic 1.3 etc, then the wiring is simple, there has been a wiring diagram posted on here if you search, everything else should just bolt in.

I've got a m20b23 with loom/computer for 300$$$ if you want that? Plus $100 shipping

Hey man, if already got a M20B23 in the car at the moent

Do you have the M20B25 engine? Best to get one as complete as possible, from a facelift, motronic 1.3 etc, then the wiring is simple, there has been a wiring diagram posted on here if you search, everything else should just bolt in.

Ill have to try find one as complete as possible. Would it bolt into the existing auto trans? Because i would need to probably save up for the manual conversion after the engine swap.

So list:

Engine including all pumps, manifolds etc

ECU

Loom

Gearbox (260 and all the manual stuff)
Engine mounts

Do i need the expansion tank from a newer E30 or can i use my current one? Also can i reuse my current radiator and just plug up the auto trans cooling lines?

Would the current auto trans from my 323i fit on an B25? Just so i can get it up and running and then later on add the manual trans?

Anything anyone else could add would be great! Thanks

Edited by Rohil