Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E36 track car

So I just picked up an E36 325i coupe with 202,000km on the clock. The plan is to turn this into a track car, not sure on the class yet, so will start looking into that.

However, since I have the ute project as well, this build might take some time.

Things I'll be doing to start with are as follows,

- complete stripping of the interior and windows, these will be up for sale so let me know if you need anything.

- full roll cage

- race seats

- manual conversion

- race seats

- new wheels and tyres. Currently has Michellin snow tyres near new, also for sale.

- M3 or GTR front bumper

- exhaust, intake and ecu

Will probably get a better list once I get more knowledge and advise on what else I need.

post-2466-0-90974400-1424241906.jpg

post-2466-0-00945400-1424241948.jpg

post-2466-0-09716600-1424241958.jpg

post-2466-0-15464300-1424241971.jpg

• Like 1

great base and an awesome colour too! will def be a lot of work but im sure you will get it done it no time!

great base and an awesome colour too! will def be a lot of work but im sure you will get it done it no time!

Yea allot of work indeed. But I'm pretty excited tbh. Going to get it weighd tomorrow :)

Welcome to the E36 project track car club! Looks like a better base than mine!

Welcome to the E36 project track car club! Looks like a better base than mine!

Thanks man. What are you running? This will be all new territory for me, so keen on as much help as I can get

I'm interested to know what it weights in at. Ive just bought the same model to do the same thing good cars to start with

• Like 2

Okay, so from the Tip in Onehuga, with just under a quarter tank of GAS and myself in (most of the interior still in tact, minus the door cards and spare wheel) is 1428kg. Im 98kg more or less.

Ill be doing a full strip down of the car this weekend and then go back on Monday to see the delta lost.

Thanks man. What are you running? This will be all new territory for me, so keen on as much help as I can get

I've got an auto 318i at the moment with the lethargic m43. Considering changing to a m42 or a m50 one day.. Just out to have fun for now.

I've got an auto 318i at the moment with the lethargic m43. Considering changing to a m42 or a m50 one day.. Just out to have fun for now.

Yea that's what I'm going for too, like I'm no David Hill.

I'll have a M52B28 up for sales soon if your keen

Yea that's what I'm going for too, like I'm no David Hill.

I'll have a M52B28 up for sales soon if your keen

Not at this stage, I have no time for a few months now cos of work haha.

• Like 1

Nice buy. Are you going to keep electric windows? Looks like a 93?

Nice buy. Are you going to keep electric windows? Looks like a 93?

Cheers. Um at this stage I'm not sure, I've started stripping the interior and given that the drivers window has popped off the hinges, I may just land up take the entire motor and window setup, replace it with plastic ones

Heading to pick n part this morning to pick up a windscreen, headlights and some other spare body panels.

Have also decided to do the manual conversion first, so will be shopping around for a package from somewhere that hopefully isn't too expensive

Edited by FrancoisPV

Cheers. Um at this stage I'm not sure, I've started stripping the interior and given that the drivers window has popped off the hinges, I may just land up take the entire motor and window setup, replace it with plastic ones

Might be a bit of a mission going plastic windows without frames, any ideas how you might do it?

Might be a bit of a mission going plastic windows without frames, any ideas how you might do it?

No idea, I gues I'd probably start off with 6mm Perspex cut to shape, heated into a bend and fixed to the standard hindges. Did something similar in the Corolla but that's a Toyota :)

Spent most of today stripping the beasty, just a de loom and sound dedining removal left.

Also has those funky color changing headlights, might keep might sell

post-2466-0-84522900-1424487561_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-36187400-1424487627_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-25451000-1424487656_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-24591500-1424487686_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-51210000-1424487721_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-88286100-1424487884_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-32230500-1424487911_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-75753700-1424487950_thumb.jp

Are you going to keep it street legal? Those headlights look like full replacement items .. could sell them off for a good price if they are and have the proper cut off for HID

Are you going to keep it street legal? Those headlights look like full replacement items .. could sell them off for a good price if they are and have the proper cut off for HID

Yea not sure how much they're worth tbh. I did pick up some second hand ones from pick part today, so may swap them out.

I'd like to keep it street legal, but will have to see what the process would be

ts pretty easy to keep it legal, depending how far you want to go. Motorsport authority card covers a roll cage, race seats, harnesses and removing abs and airbags. Cert is required if you want to go for adjustable suspension or big power gains/different motor.

ts pretty easy to keep it legal, depending how far you want to go. Motorsport authority card covers a roll cage, race seats, harnesses and removing abs and airbags. Cert is required if you want to go for adjustable suspension or big power gains/different motor.

Yea I'll be going adjustables and for now stock motor with intake exhaust and ecu. Once I get enough practise, I'll do engine rebuild with internals. So either way, cert will need to be done. Need to,start shopping for a place who can cage it.

On a more retro note, I noticed today that the springs have been chopped AND the coupe has a different windscreen from the sedan and compact.

Bummer. Also the panels and headlights are different. There are other different bits

Bummer. Also the panels and headlights are different. There are other different bits

Yea, I tested the compact fenders on a coupe at pick part, they fit and line up, as do the headlights. Haven't tested the front bumper yet, but picked a Motorsport front this morning, so hopefully that fits.

Off to repco today to pick up some parts and misc for both the ute and coupe

Left headlight delete for the track hehe

Haha that's actually the plan. Need to fabricate a funnel into one of the light beams

Not much of an update. Just been procuring parts and pieces to do a mass set up / install over a weekend or few days. Like a Big Bang as such, but I did get a really cool race seat, not sure the MSNZ will approve

post-2466-0-59736500-1425270666_thumb.jp