Sign in to follow this  
Rohil

E30 starting problems

Hi guys, so i see that a similar thread to this one was posted a few weeks ago on here but i thought id make my own as i have my own set of problems.

The car wont start, which is next to no help for anyone who wants to help me diagnose the problem. So the car used to start occasionally in Neutral only (Auto Trans), and i thought doing it this way would be okay until even that stopped working. When we jump the battery is starts every time but the battery has been tested and it seems fine? When you turn the key you can hear the fuel priming, it just wont turn the engine over.

As i said i have had the battery tested and have been told its fine, however when i jump it the car starts perfectly. And because iv been told the battery is fine i dont really want to spoend money on a new battery if the problem lays elsewhere. Could it be the starter? I have no clue, but i have been told (admittedly the person who told me that literally just had a glance) it could be the starter. This is the ONLY thing holding the car back from being my daily, i have put in a lot of work over the last few weeks these holidays getting it all nice. Once the car can start everytime no problem, itll be on the road and i cannot wait for that!

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, it is much appreciated!

What car are you talking about? E30 or E46?

Regardless, the battery is obviously not fine.

Test another battery (of the correct CCA rating for the car) and see if that works...

E30 sorry, ill give that a go, ill find out what the correct CCA rating is for the E30. I have read that a group 49 sized battery will fit in the boot, is it beneficial to get a bigger battery? Or better to run one with the same CCA rating?

Ill try another battery hopefully that sorts me with starting. It occasionally starts but once in a blue moon. Yeah suspected inhibtor switch for the auto. Right now i dont have the funds but i want to manual convert. Thatll take care of that haha. Or so i hope.

Battery connections? Jump starting will mask that. As alluded to - make CERTAIN the battery is good. DIN 55 is the correct battery for it

The battery was under the bonnet and it had this problem, i used new wires to relocate it to the boot and its still doing the same thing so i dont think its the connections. Ill have a look at the battery. Thanks guys for the help so far!

Well, looks like you are stabbing in the dark somewhat. Get a sparky to check it. Will be a whole 5 min job at most to diagnose

Yeah i think ill have someone that actually knows what theyre doing to have a look at it. Being honest i have no clue what to look for

Start off by testing the starting function at the diagnostic socket by bridging pins 11-14, especially when it will not fire from the key. Being a 323i, it will have the older 'D' shaped socket shown on the left.

I2bLWTu.jpg

If it starts every time from the socket, you have an issue with the electrics (ign switch/auto selector/relay etc.). If not, you have an issue with the battery/starter/grounding of motor to body/supply from battery.

Do this test and report back.

Cheers man! Ill give it a go tomorrow and report back. Hopefully this can narrow down my search a little

Sorry iv been tied up this weekend and with uni starting tomorrow it sucks i have no time right now to look into this. Earliest ill get time is next Sunday, i guess i gotta wait till then. Maybe in that time ill take my battery out and get it tested again because its quick.