Sign in to follow this  
FRT

Importing from Japan

Apologies if this thread is done to death some where else....

But has any one used: http://www.beforward.jp/beforward_newzealand to import?

Is it as easy as it looks?

Any problems?

Any recommended compliance centres?

Any other recommend importing companies?

Cheers.

One of the guys at work uses them all the time and says its super easy.

Do your homework first and it's not difficult. If you know the rules for compliance, and buy a suitable vehicle, then it's quite straight forward.

Special Interest Vehicles and the like is where it becomes a lot more difficult.

It is hard to recommend Compliance Centres when you don't include your location in NZ in your signature ....

I use this company to buy all my cars through .... http://www.jpctrade.com/

Edited by RvT
  • Like 1

JPC Trade have a guy call Lachlan working in Japan who is an Aussi so it makes conversation very easy and relaxed. Suggest conversing with him as you main contact.

• Like 1

Great ok thanks

Hi guys, just joined tonight and am looking at my first purchase of BMW. Looking at a 323i from Japan, after reading everything I can find on here I must admit to being a bit shaky, not sure if its excitement or fear. Saw one that fits the bill, 60,000lms lots of goodies, but my biggest concern is the mechanics and electrics, that's where the "shaky" comes in, reliability and getting one that will at least have no major problems from kickoff.

This one has dual pipes as per normal, but one pipe seems to be white and one black? However I'm guessing that these pipes are only post the rear muffler, so is this a concern?

I know that white pipe can mean head gasket, cracked head etc.

There are also some bolts that are rusty under the front, seem to be holding the bumper on.

Should I give it a miss?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I see few of you have recommended JPCTrade. Can you please provide additional details ? Reviewing the site I understand the process is:

1. Register on JPCTrade site and give an initial deposit of US$1000 which will allow you to bid on vehicles.
  2. How does the bidding process work ? It live bidding like Trademe where the bids from all prospect sellers are added to it and they keep bidding until the end (time) ? Or there is a reserve price that if there is only 1 bid at starting price, the car will be unsold ?
  3. If the bid is successful, I understand the JPCTrade will send a full invoice which includes the total cost of car + shipping + FOB Charges (Agency Fee, Inland Transportation Fee, Documents, Maritime Insurance). Can any advise what the expected FOB charges are ?
  4. What would I need to arrange or plan when the vehicle arrives in Port ? I live in Wellington CBD.
  5. Are there any tips or recommendations on how to select a vehicle as we don't get to see it physically ? If I select a Score 5 or 4.5, will that guarantee the vehicle will pass NZ Compliance without any issues ? Will a Score 4 vehicle recommended ?
  6. If I made a initial US$1000 deposit and end up not find a vehicle to my liking, will that funds fully refundable ? Has anyone done this before and who easy it to get full refund (less paypal fees I understand) ?

Any help or feedback is really appreciated.

I see few of you have recommended JPCTrade. Can you please provide additional details ? Reviewing the site I understand the process is:

1. Register on JPCTrade site and give an initial deposit of US$1000 which will allow you to bid on vehicles.
  2. How does the bidding process work ? It live bidding like Trademe where the bids from all prospect sellers are added to it and they keep bidding until the end (time) ? Or there is a reserve price that if there is only 1 bid at starting price, the car will be unsold ?
  3. If the bid is successful, I understand the JPCTrade will send a full invoice which includes the total cost of car + shipping + FOB Charges (Agency Fee, Inland Transportation Fee, Documents, Maritime Insurance). Can any advise what the expected FOB charges are ?
  4. What would I need to arrange or plan when the vehicle arrives in Port ? I live in Wellington CBD.
  5. Are there any tips or recommendations on how to select a vehicle as we don't get to see it physically ? If I select a Score 5 or 4.5, will that guarantee the vehicle will pass NZ Compliance without any issues ? Will a Score 4 vehicle recommended ?
  6. If I made a initial US$1000 deposit and end up not find a vehicle to my liking, will that funds fully refundable ? Has anyone done this before and who easy it to get full refund (less paypal fees I understand) ?

Any help or feedback is really appreciated.

Hi

Lots of questions and I can give you the answers but will get writers cramp and it is easier to talk you through the process by phone. Can you PM me your phone number and best time to call and I will give you a ring if you like ?

Cheers

Ron

JPC Trade have a guy call Lachlan working in Japan who is an Aussi so it makes conversation very easy and relaxed. Suggest conversing with him as you main contact.

Also Auto Access is good, Stu McLean is General Manager, another Aussie guy. He will look at the car you want to bid on (provided its in his area) and send pics from the auction. I put a deposit on a car and then decided to buy in NZ. Stu returned my deposit in full. Great service and helpful guy all round.

Hi

Lots of questions and I can give you the answers but will get writers cramp and it is easier to talk you through the process by phone. Can you PM me your phone number and best time to call and I will give you a ring if you like ?

Cheers

Ron

I was able to speak with Lachlan (who I believe no longer works at JPC Trade) and he gave me most of the details and I was quite happy with info. I ended up bidding on a 2006 530i with 95K mileage and grade 4.

The car is expected to ship sometime next week and expected to arrive in Wellington on July 13th. The sales rep said he will mail the required documentation a week after the car is shipped and I will get a call from shipping line agent.

Can anyone advise on whats the process and what I should be doing once the car arrives at port ?

Clear the car through customs.

Pay MAF fee.

Pay GST.

Once cleared organise a authorised transport company to pick it up and deliver it for you.

You can't enter the warf to get it yourself.

Then off to compliance.

Hope like hell the graders did not miss any repairs.

Register car.

I hope the 530 was cheap. The prices of them are plummeting.

Can anyone recommend a good and reasonable and compliance center in Wellington ? I have read all over the compliance can be pain if there they need things to be fixed like brake pads/rotors/battery/tyres. Can any also recommend a mechanic place to repair any issues that are highlighted during compliance. If there is a place than do all compliance, registration, repairs, that would be great.

Edited by miamikk

You missed a few steps there Dan..

Pay MAF fee.

Get told by MAF car is too dirty and needs to be steam cleaned.

Pay fee to designated MAF steam cleaners for car to be "properly" cleaned.

Get told by MAF car needs to have under body and wheel arch liners removed as they have water behind them (not from the steam cleaning surely...)

Pay another fee to designated MAF cleaners to have parts on car ripped off removed and cleaned behind.

Try and pay GST.

Find out you have to be "registered" as an importer, set up Importer number.

Try and pay GST

Find out you are registered as a Business Importer not Private Importer as you were sent the wrong form.

Get correct form, register as Private Importer.

Try and pay GST and find out you already have a number!!

Pay GST.

Get car.. etc..

Find half of trims have been thrown into the back of the car still wet and have not been refitted as they are now broken, and find the other half are still attached to the car and haven't been removed or cleaned behind.

Take to compliance, if you can get hold of some dealer plates, if not, get company to take to compliance.

Pick up / get picked up from compliance

Buy parts to fix the list of bits the compliance people have picked up.

Get parts fitted / fit parts.

Take back to compliance / get taken back.

Register car..

Get to enjoy vehicle.

And if you are really lucky you get to add in the extra steps..

Go to collect car on trailer..

Find driver's window smashed.

Ask why.. get told "the keys got locked in the car" ... really? in an E30? And no-one asked if I have a spare key - which is here, in my hand..?

Get blind f**kwit to guide you onto trailer so you scrape the door on the trailer.

Buy replacement window.

Chase shipping company to pay for window...

It's a great game!

• Like 2

^^ not a big deal then, yeah right!

More aggravation than a big deal, it mostly depends how much you can do yourself, if you have access to parts, tools, workshop, trailers, etc.

That is where the "professionals" come in against the DIY approach.

But there can be a few curve balls along the way, even when you are paying someone else to do the job for you.