Sign in to follow this  
DC3

Ex UK M5

I bought this car 2 years ago through the "special interest vehicle" scheme that NZTA have. I bought from a private seller advertising it on Pistonheads after I had been granted a permit.

It is a 2003 model that has had 3 owners with 1 owning it for 8 of the then 10 years.

My interest in the M5 goes back to 2002 when my son's father in law had one as his work car (believe it or not). I was lucky enough to get to drive it once and was very impressed. I considered buying a second hand one at the time but it was beyond my resources. That car was oxford/caramel so I've had a hankering for one like that ever since

It did however get me into BMWs, my first being an E46 330d. I really enjoyed owning this, especially the torque it produced.

Since then I have sampled a few of their torquier engines but the E39 M5 was always in the back of my mind as the benchmark.

To get back to the said car, I took a punt on the seller being straight with me and he answered all my questions and supplied plenty of photos. He took it to an independent BMW service garage for an inspection. Their view was that it was a good example with the only rust they could find was on some of the fastenings and it would benefit from a clean up. Also mileage was correct.

After I got it home I have spent a lot of time cleaning it and also getting my local BMW tech to bring everything else up to date.

Including...

Engine oil and filter, gearbox oil, rear brake rotors, skim front rotors, cam cover gaskets, gear shift link refresh, both bumpers off repainted, bonnet and door repaint, replace rear scuba boxes (supplied by Ray from one of his wrecks), new tyres, battery, mats and steering wheel. Plus a few shipments of fastenings etc from the UK.

Here are some photos...

post-17273-0-57760200-1425177379_thumb.j

post-17273-0-53467000-1425177401_thumb.j

post-17273-0-03757800-1425177428_thumb.j

post-17273-0-45006000-1425182826_thumb.j

post-17273-0-15085900-1425182885_thumb.j

post-17273-0-07934400-1425183017_thumb.j

post-17273-0-61795500-1425183057_thumb.j

post-17273-0-55224800-1425182954_thumb.j

post-17273-0-48095300-1425183232_thumb.j

post-17273-0-74509800-1425183263_thumb.j

post-17273-0-86941100-1425183117_thumb.j

post-17273-0-57063700-1425183146_thumb.j

post-17273-0-60763400-1425182990_thumb.j

There is a depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for the marque here on Bimmersport which I enjoy. I've met up with some of the M5 owners, Martin, Glenn and Darren who are all very helpful.

I hope you enjoy my post.

Edited by DC3
  • Like 8

I love that interior! Super jealous.

Looks like a great example! Good to see you got it thru all the red tape with nzta.

Wow, stunning car.

I'm not a huge fan of a tan interior but thats super nice.

I might be a bit envious..lol

Very jealous, super nice and great with the interior colour change from black

I know I'd be stoked

Looks great, very tidy. Wonderful color combo too.

Retrimmed wheel?

agreed. Stunning example. The Caramel interior is so much nicer in person.

Thanks guys for the kind comments, really nice to hear and appreciated.

Btw who is your mechanic? Cheers

Jim Murdoch Motors. Jim was one of Bruce McLaren's original mechanics. His side kick Glen does most of the work.

Looks great, very tidy. Wonderful color combo too.

Retrimmed wheel?

In a weak moment I bought a new one, OTT I know but seemed a good idea at the time.

• Like 1

Stunning! Still haven't seen it in the flesh but Martin and I are contemplating a road trip up your way!!

• Like 1

Looks fabulous! Good to know such a car can be brought through with the special interest method.

Stunning! Still haven't seen it in the flesh but Martin and I are contemplating a road trip up your way!!

Oh my, are you sure the 8er can handle those northern windy roads? ;)

Oh my, are you sure the 8er can handle those northern windy roads? ;)

The car will eat those roads up... The only thing that will suffer is my wallet; it also likes to eat up a fair chunk of fuel!

• Like 1

Cool! Jooles, great idea and I look forward to meeting you. Can take you on some great back roads for some ultimate driving machine pleasure.

Edited by DC3
  • Like 2

Cool! Jooles, great idea and I look forward to meeting you. Can take you on some great back roads for some ultimate driving machine pleasure.

keep me in the loop on this one. I haven't been north of Auckland in 15 years. Sounds like a great roadtrip.

• Like 1

I'd be up for a road trip with a bit of notice.......my 5 needs a stretch.......

Your car is looking mint.......I hope to get to the state at some stage.