Sign in to follow this  
rijac1970

Sharing Experience - Don't Panic! (and other e90 stories - everything that could go wrong with your e90)

That's a small list Arron .... your lucky

This thread is making me consider selling my (touch wood; reliable) 120i.

Previous owner did the gasket work, (doesn't leak ATM).

Thing is an upgrade would cost more than fixing stuff, which makes it a hard call.

when people on the otherside of the glass office windows wave at you and say hi.... you know you've been spending waaaaay too much time at jerry clayton!

Vero has started to lose money on me. But many 350 repairs still hurts the bank account!

everyone was wrong... it was the brake hoses... failed my WOF. more money down the toilet

Been seeing a half km per litre improvement in consumption after fixing my oil leak and valvetronic motor.

the lemon is strong in this one damn.....

my e38 panzer with 300K is still chuggin silky smooth. everything works and only thing leaking is the power steering reservoir :)

• Like 1

Hey mate, check your inbox. I pmd you

Are these particular models riddled with faults? At least you learnt a lesson which is a good part of your experience, i think most people would've thought the same in such a situation

Can confirm my 335i also pisses oil in everyplace it can. When i bought it transmission seal and VCG had been done. Since then have changed the OFHG and at some stage will need to do oil pan seal and maybe rear main seal.

Can confirm my 335i also pisses oil in everyplace it can. When i bought it transmission seal and VCG had been done. Since then have changed the OFHG and at some stage will need to do oil pan seal and maybe rear main seal. 

Well since all the work was done I haven't lost a single drop of oil.

well hello there...  a year has passed with (relatively) trouble free motoring after all the drama!

a couple more radiator hoses leaked (which is to be expected with age i guess) and Oil level has been holding up with just a single bar drop after a long drive otherwise always reports as full...  

it has developed a loud rattling when cold and in gear (no rattle in idle)...  comes from somewhere below the belt pulley nearer the airbox side of the engine.  goes away once the engine rpm drops to normal. any thoughts?  

also any advice on battery replacement?  I called BMW and got a shocker of a quote.....  

Edited by rijac1970

On 21 March 2015 at 8:15 AM, BM WORLD said:

aren't the 4cyl engines in these assembled in the UK ?

it's revenge for the war!

6 hours ago, rijac1970 said:

well hello there...  a year has passed with (relatively) trouble free motoring after all the drama!

a couple more radiator hoses leaked (which is to be expected with age i guess) and Oil level has been holding up with just a single bar drop after a long drive otherwise always reports as full...  

it has developed a loud rattling when cold and in gear (no rattle in idle)...  comes from somewhere below the belt pulley nearer the airbox side of the engine.  goes away once the engine rpm drops to normal. any thoughts?  

also any advice on battery replacement?  I called BMW and got a shocker of a quote.....  

If I were you I'd call Glenn at Botany Motor Works can have him diagnose and repair, and supply and fit an appropriate battery! :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

it's revenge for the war!

If I were you I'd call Glenn at Botany Motor Works can have him diagnose and repair, and supply and fit an appropriate battery! :)

thanks.  its just a bit far for a battery change.. 

i found a battery place near where i live and they quoted me 220 or so installed for a varta 21d silver calcium or a din55lh startmaster - BMW quoted 600+ for the battery excluding installation...  wth.

you need to be able to compare apples with apples.  you can buy a suit from around $200 up... the $200 halensteins job will be very average, buy an $800 Cambridge and have it altered, it's good, or go and get a made-to-measure (or better still, Bespoke), and you've a different experience.

If the BMW batty is genuine aparrently they last a lo=oooooong time.  You're paying retail, there's probably a full system test from the BMW dealer. 

The mid-ground might be reasonable quality, should be tested in-situ, charging system test, provided with a warranty.

The cheap end will be possibly a lesser quality unit, perhaps bolted in, maybe they'll dispose of your old one.  Maybe a lesser warranty, charging check if you're lucky.

like the suit, you pays your money and makes yer choice.  Jeez it's Auckland, you guys are always driving, yeah?  Maybe the distance to JC makes the $600 option worthwhile.

There's always the AA Battery Service, cheaper if you're a member. Not a forum sponsor though.

HTH

• Like 1

You're on the shore so try Bellars Motor Works or Burger Motor Works, even if just to ask advice. 

Or BM Workshop Grey Lynn.

E90s are supposed to have the battery 'registered' to the car, not all places will do that. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Hey Matthew, can you explain more about registering batty to e90, I'm keen to know more.  A link would do...

On 8/5/2016 at 10:29 PM, Matth5 said:

You're on the shore so try Bellars Motor Works or Burger Motor Works, even if just to ask advice. 

Or BM Workshop Grey Lynn.

E90s are supposed to have the battery 'registered' to the car, not all places will do that. 

thanks.  the place i called in albany said they had the capability to register the battery.  yet to be confirmed though. 

new problem...  intermittent headlight turning off and on....  if it stays off long enough the yellow warning light goes on.

did some googling, and it is either the ballast or just a grounding wire issue.

anyone experienced this?  

if i keep this up we could package this thread and sell it off as a resource for new e90 owners.. just waiting for the kitchen sink to fail and we'll have everything covered.  

On 6 August 2016 at 7:19 AM, Olaf said:

Hey Matthew, can you explain more about registering batty to e90, I'm keen to know more.  A link would do...

Oh well, no response, so I researched myself.  "Battery Registration" resets stored settings about the battery, and tailors charging to the characteristics of the battery.  ISTM you wouldn't skip this, BMW built in the smarts, so do it right.

here's a couple of threads for those interested:

http://www.munichmotorsport.com/wordpress/?page_id=164

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418907&page=2 

hope that helps

Olaf

On 8/5/2016 at 10:52 AM, rijac1970 said:

i found a battery place near where i live and they quoted me 220 or so installed for a varta 21d silver calcium or a din55lh startmaster - BMW quoted 600+ for the battery excluding installation...  wth.

Varta makes a lot of the OEM batteries for Euro brands. I know most, if not all of the Merc genuine batteries are Varta, and the genuine battery in my old Golf was a Varta.

• Like 1

made an impromptu decision to trade it in for a 7 seat SUV over the weekend... lol....  thanks to all of you for your input and sharing of knowledge.  it helped me get the most out of the old girl for the last 2 years.   one day i might come back to a BMW but needed the people mover and the x5 is just to far beyond my budget.  good luck all e90 owners.  

• Like 2

well done Richard, it sounds as though it was somewhat troublesome and best cut loose. Good luck with your new people mover, we hope to see you back here in future!  It's a somewhat broad church, so don't feel you need to leave.

regards

Olaf

• Like 1