Sign in to follow this  
DarshanN

Thinking about buying a 135i

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a 135i 2008 with 65K on the clock.

I am checking if all the recall work has been done but is there anything else i should get checked out?

Also can anyone recommend a service agent in the city that does a decent pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks

Darsh

Here is some research I did when looking at N54B30xx 335 tourings.

* Both Turbos, Do they exhibit turbo waste gate chatter, If so is it the waste gate actuator valve and or turbo spindle. This is a large repair if it would happen and is a common fault on all N54B30 engines 60-80ks
* Coils have they been replaced, when
*Plugs have they been replaced, when
* Injector faults
* Sump leaks, gearbox and diff leaks
* Electric water pump need replacing every 50-60ks
* High Pressure fuel pump replacing every 50-60ks
* Oil in the intake, sooty plugs and intake manifold .. needs cleaning with walnut and vaccum.
Awesome engine and performance, however do come with the issues that go with it.
BMW ditched the N54 in place of the N55 single turbo design from about 03/10. Lots of design changes to fixes some of the first gen issues.
My experience with pre-purchase inspections hasn't been good. Most will just tick the boxes and charge you the $160-200. Something I could have done myself.
BM Workshop is the source of great information and Ross @ Botany really has had the experience to I think comment on these car now. The other dealers tech departments usually leave it up to the lackies to do the PPIs which is why I think the quality of service over the last few years has dropped.
  • Like 3

Here is some research I did when looking at N54B30xx 335 tourings.

* Both Turbos, Do they exhibit turbo waste gate chatter, If so is it the waste gate actuator valve and or turbo spindle. This is a large repair if it would happen and is a common fault on all N54B30 engines 60-80ks
* Coils have they been replaced, when
*Plugs have they been replaced, when
* Injector faults
* Sump leaks, gearbox and diff leaks
* Electric water pump need replacing every 50-60ks
* High Pressure fuel pump replacing every 50-60ks
* Oil in the intake, sooty plugs and intake manifold .. needs cleaning with walnut and vaccum.
Awesome engine and performance, however do come with the issues that go with it.
BMW ditched the N54 in place of the N55 single turbo design from about 03/10. Lots of design changes to fixes some of the first gen issues.
My experience with pre-purchase inspections hasn't been good. Most will just tick the boxes and charge you the $160-200. Something I could have done myself.
BM Workshop is the source of great information and Ross @ Botany really has had the experience to I think comment on these car now. The other dealers tech departments usually leave it up to the lackies to do the PPIs which is why I think the quality of service over the last few years has dropped.

Cool, that's exactly what i was after thanks for the info hybrid. Is the hpfp covered under the recall issue or is just safer to replace now? Reading around it also looks like the Injectors are under recall as well.

Looking to get the PPI done at BM workshop in grey lynn. Will mention the above

Thanks Again

If you can stretch for the drive I suggest ray@hellbm. He is on the shore near silverdale which is a hike for some but well worth the effort!

• Like 2

Cool, that's exactly what i was after thanks for the info hybrid. Is the hpfp covered under the recall issue or is just safer to replace now? Reading around it also looks like the Injectors are under recall as well.

Looking to get the PPI done at BM workshop in grey lynn. Will mention the above

Thanks Again

The crew at BM Workshop Grey Lynn are great guys. But note with PPI's many things still can't be seen.

Yeah i kinda figured The PPI wouldn't be able to catch it all, but you would hope if i asked them to specifically check key areas they would.

is there a way online to verify if any of the recall work has been done via the VIN number?

Thanks in advance

Darsh

Yeah tried that, pretty much got told Its an import and warranty is geared to each region so no dice. Might see if my friend who is living in japan can check with a JP BMW dealer

Try other dealers - They told me about an import recall (major engine bearing one mind you)

I own one and love it, so might be pro the 135i N54...but here are my learnings from reading to much internet and getting facts once actually owning it.

Clogged up values and the need to walnut blast - only a problem if you only do very short journeys, or running tons of boost and even then, only have to be done every 80,000km if it starts running rough. BMW work shop can check to see if one needs done very easily, but it's not the issue made out on the Internet. Also, BMW not me not to bother with oil catch can.

BMW will tell you if any recalls are on your car and the major ones that you read about on the Internet like Injector issues, high pressure fuel pump and Turbo issues are mainly from American version of the car. And don't apply to most of our imports.

Seems 2009 way better year than the 2008 with some upgrades which make a massive difference...like having an oil cooler and upgraded iDrive.

BMW is great place to get inspection.

The car is amazing to drive and very quick. Would be great to see what happens if you remapped the ECU and made a couple of engine mods, but I am being patient on that front; as standard still goes really well.s

Good luck and if you have any question fire them through,

BMWNZ don't want to have anything to do with the HPFP recall. I spoke to the CEO of Jeff Gray. He didn't even know about this problem. My 335i is NZ New. He said he'd have to refer this to BMW headoffice. Anyway, BMWNZ wanted about $900 for a HPFP ex Germany, and wouldn't replace under recall. Euro Italian did one for me for $400 odd. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle arguing the point with BMW. If a HPFP goes it is a safety issue. My engine suddenly went into limp mode as I was pulling out to pass someone. Could have been a serious accident. No problem with the Pierburg pump. If you do get the HPFP replaced make sure you run the fuel low, otherwise the mechanic has to drain your tank in order to replace the pump.

• Like 2

I've just picked up a 335i and, although mine doesn't feel like it's got 400nm at bugger all revs, it sounds and goes great further up the range and you just know it's got so much potential. My thinking is the N54 powered beasties will reward those that are either proficient with spanners and computers, or have pockets deep enough to pay someone else to keep it running at its best. I'm loving it, but can see how it would be a headache for others.

Now where was I in trying to figure out where the missing torque is lurking...?

Anyone have any ideas on what a walnut blast costs?

I'm loving my 335i Motorsport JB4, goes like a rocket, 1 chassis with the same donk must be even quicker. see that 135 race car for sale on TM!

Going to do walnut blast myself soon.... just clicked over 70ks

BMW costs $600?? bag of shells DIY $60

Edited by FRT

Going to do walnut blast myself soon.... just clicked over 70ks

BMW costs $600?? bag of shells DIY $60

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this and may be keen to hire your gear later on... ;-)

see that 135 race car for sale on TM!

I had to go look that up... sounds like a bloody fast little car.

There's a guy asking him to swap for a Nissan Pulsar. LOL typical Trademe :D

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this and may be keen to hire your gear later on... ;-)

This is the plan, wish me luck,

where are you going to get the blaster? keen for this as well