Sign in to follow this  
Lemieux_66

WTB: Fan clutch tool

Hi guys,

Just got myself a 540i and the fan clutch is stuck.

I have a replacement lined up but need the tool to provide the counter pressure so I can take it off.

I have the 32mm spanner but not other tool (looks like this)

BMW_Water_Pump_Pulley_Holder_Removal_Fan

If anyone has one in Auckland that I could borrow for a few mins/hours that would be sweeeet.

I could bring you a couple of beers as a thanks.

The DIY seems pretty easy (as long as you have the right tools!)

ive had good experience doing the above. A swift whack of a hammer to the spanner usually cracks it.

Haha I've been trying, but I may not be swift enough! I've also tried the screwdriver thing, but it's just too fat and not long enough to stay in there.

I have the tools. Do NOT try without. 90% chances to screw it up if you have not done it many times. Call me

I have the tools. Do NOT try without. 90% chances to screw it up if you have not done it many times. Call me

Bold claim, guess im lucky with a 3 for 3 success rate with my technique.

PM'd ya Dkonsta1, hopefully we can sort something out for tomorrow.

I just bit the bullet and bought one on ebay so will get that in a few weeks, will probably be good to have n the kit for more DIY's as it seems like that would have to come off for a few jobs.

if you are replacing the water pump at the same time, go right ahead doing it the wrong way by wacking it.

doing so will damage the bearings in the water pump, possibly snap off impeller etc been down that road

but using proper tool, it is possible to change fan clutch without replacing waterpump.

never replaced the waterpump in any of the cars i did it on, and it was perfectly fine. Same with a lot of other people out there, its a common way of cracking the nut. its a swift sharp tap on the end of the spanner with a hammer, not bloody belting on it repeatedly.

^^^^^ Yep, as above. Requires a decent sharp impact. I have always done it this way = plenty of BMW's & other Euros with the same setup over the years. Some do get tight but i haven't been caught out yet. Maybe just lucky. Just did the water pump on the E39 a few weeks back. Fan had never been off but was one of the easy ones.

I do hear what you are saying though Andy, would certainly stand to do damage if thumping it, and repeatedly.

Update : Borrowed the homemade tools and all sorted out the swap over in under 5 minutes.

After the ease of that I'd recommend the tool for sure.

Can close the thread now Cheers!

• Like 1