Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

M62TU Timing Chain Guides Broke

Hey guys,

So one or more of the timing chain guides/tensioner went in the 540i on Thursday. Started off with a light tick and then within a couple of minutes it transformed into quite the clatter. It's currently stored at BMW's lock up (my friend works there) until I find a way to get it home. Towing wouldn't be an issue but as I live on a hill, I don't know many cars that would be too happy pulling the beast up there.

Has anyone got any parts suppliers they would recommend on price? Was looking at the guides from AutohausAZ as that's where I get most of my parts from but at $us100 a guide, plus $us100 for the tensioner, extra for gaskets and freight and extra $$ for the VANOS rebuild I may as well do while in there it's damn expensive!

Was planning on selling it, but now I'm not sure whether to fix it and give it to the wife or sell it as it currently is...

Good thing I bought an E320 a few weeks ago :D

Excellent, thanks mate. That kit is well priced. And WOW, I'm glad I'm able to do the work myself looking at that job costing!

Is there anyone in NZ that services the VANOS units are do we still need to send them to the US? (I'm not game enough to try a vanos rebuild)

Sorry no help, but just curious, how many k's on the beast?

Sorry no help, but just curious, how many k's on the beast?

There's about 231k. The poor thing didn't have a good life with the previous owner. When I changed the oil in it, the filter disintegrated in the housing and the oil was as Black as can be.

Vanos wasn't really making any noise at all, but guess it's best to do it while I'm in there. Thanks BreakMyWindow, will check them out.

they all seam to go , have seen quite a few go between 220-280 k's

and have heard of the odd one going at 150k's etc .(maybe swapped out cluster etc)

but they will all wear out , bad design really using a narrow single row chain which grinds its way through the plastic guides

not the old M60 engines with a duplex chain setup running past a idler sprocket if maintained will do double the k's of the m62 before needing doing

• Like 1

Indeed, not a good design at all compared to the M60

Great way to limit the life of the engine before an M62 major service is required. Ideal for the accountants?

m60.png

• Like 4

And NOT doing when it needs doing, leads to wallet-emptying noises.

Dude up here was told his needed doing, and he left the workshop saying he'd "save up some money and get it done soon". A month or so later, nasty crunching banging noises happen't as the engine lunched itself :( . MUCH bigger repair bill then!

• Like 1

These m62's are such a fantastic design...very reliable with no design flaws... cough cough, I dread the timing chain guides going on top of everything else. Would be quite a good DIY though if you have the time and facilities.

• Like 2

could be worse audi with there rubber band powered V8 stuck in the front bumper :)

• Like 4

wow i didnt know thats what the M62 is like, thats a very obvious design flaw!

is it possible to retrofit the M60 system?

• Like 1

I think it was prbably a necessary evil to facilitate the vanos? I had mine all done at about 280k, its a big job but worth it for peace of mind.

• Like 1

could be worse audi with there rubber band powered V8 stuck in the front bumper :)

Yup, those are horrendous. Enough to stop me wanting one.

4audis4repairdenver.JPG

• Like 2

Interesting to see Lexus / Toyota is doing it with their 5L 2UR-GSE V8 engine, chain with plastic lined metallic guides / tensioners... I wonder how they will last, given its a new thing for Toyota engines.

isf.png

LMAO and thats not even the worst part. The worst part is that the chain isnt on the front of the engine like normal, its on the rear, against the firewall.

• Like 2

I think it was prbably a necessary evil to facilitate the vanos? I had mine all done at about 280k, its a big job but worth it for peace of mind.

Yeah, I remember how upset your better half was, that your bill was what I paid for our CAR :P

There are a LOT of modern motors that have timing chain failures though:

Neighbour had an Alloytec Commode with 80K on that had jumped teeth - common problem.

VW 3.2 VR6 I have for a "project" known chain and tensioner failures

VW TSI engines - SOME models - grenade with the pin already pulled

Plus MANY other brands, including a bunch of Jap ones.

I'd prefer a belt really!

yea what about the 4cyl bmw diesels in about the 2005 year etc , chains stretching and snapping ,

and its mounted in the back of the motor so the engine needs

to be removed to change

low quality part was used and can fail at 80k's or 200k's

• Like 1

Here are a few pics from mine when I had this work done back in 2010.

The item circled in red is a piece of one of the guides that made it's way up there, causing a nasty rattle sound.

3.jpg

Deflection rail worn from chain contact

1.jpg

Pretty clean looking for 250k's on the clock

2.jpg

4.jpg

Had this sprocket replaced while it was all apart :

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 2

Mums sv6 commonwhore f**ked a timing chain in under 80k

• Like 2

These m62's are such a fantastic design...very reliable with no design flaws... cough cough, I dread the timing chain guides going on top of everything else. Would be quite a good DIY though if you have the time and facilities.

Still deciding on whether to repair or not, the funds for this would get me much needed suspension upgrades in my Ford or a bunch of stuff for the W124... however it's worth nothing right now so probably should repair it :D

4audis4repairdenver.JPG

Wow. That right there looks like something I would never like to play with!

Here are a few pics from mine when I had this work done back in 2010.

The item circled in red is a piece of one of the guides that made it's way up there, causing a nasty rattle sound.

3.jpg

Deflection rail worn from chain contact

1.jpg

Pretty clean looking for 250k's on the clock

2.jpg

4.jpg

Had this sprocket replaced while it was all apart :

5.jpg

6.jpg

Sweet pics, cheers! Job itself looks fine it's just looks very labour intensive. Did you have any other chunks of plastic roaming around the heads?

4audis4repairdenver.JPG

This makes me want to go down to the garage and hug my m20.

EDIT: And also go and tidy that person's workshop.

Edited by duvey
  • Like 2