Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

E36 rack swap

Hey guys, the guy I bought my car off gave me two steering racks with it as he was planning to swap at some point. He told me one was an e36 m3 evo one but I been racking google for the part number and all I can find is one's from an E46 of some sort and the other an E36 318...

Not sure if anyone can shed some light but would appreciate if they could. These are the part numbers:

First one (e46?):

ZF 7852 974 491

BMW 1 096 908

Second one (e36?):

ZF 7852 955 242

BMW 1 141 609 0

im not getting a hit for the first, can you check BMW part number?

the second i am getting E36 and Z3, possibly case is the same for both with different innards?

The first one appears to be from a 3-series E46 2.0 diesel.

Just check turns on both. One with the black hook on the spline is definitely a e46 rack. Other looks e36.

E36 is 3.4 turns. The only ones worth bothering is e46 clubsport rack, 3 turns lock to lock or z3 2.7 turns. More expensive but I'm sure a e36 3.4 turn and whatever the other is makes an improvement over the 4 turn e30 rack.

Hmm. Anyone have a club sport one for me?? :D

Edited by potatomash

The labels would have been different colours, green or voilet I believe this also de-notes what they are and number of turns. Brent touched on this subject some time back when someone was asking for a Z rack also try looking at some Ti ones I know mine has the 2.7 in it.

Have a few E46 sport racks. (3 turns) $350 each

Swapped my e46 rack in tonight. Clearance between the headers and steering knuckle isn't good..about 2mm or so, that's using an e36 u joint. The e30 knuckle actually doesn't even clear it...Anyone else run into this? I'm gonna get some AKG poly motor mounts which will hopefully lift the engine a bit and give some more clearance? :huh:

FnCMBJn.jpg

Something looks wrong there, the steering input shaft on the rack looks like it is stick out way too far than most racks.

What car was that rack from again?

It's from a 330ci. Purple tag ending in 067. It normally has a plastic cover on it which I temporarily removed for test fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh right. Still looks way too long compared to ones I have seen. I had one 2 months ago wasn't that long, it did have the black plastic cap over it too but it's very similar in size to the e30 one if you have it to compare

Ok so here it is with and without the plastic cover on, still look too long..?

SejohwV.jpg

Oh so the bottom of the plastic is flush with the rib bit on the rack?

Edited by potatomash

RIght, yeah thats basically where mine does too (wit the plastic sleeve off)

Edited by potatomash

Just double checked mine, That plastic sleeve makes it look deceivingly longer when it's taken off. Not sure what is up with that though, I had ample room for mine even with M52 headers which sit alot closer than e30 ones. Weird.

aovtk0.jpg

Edited by e30ftw

You should keep that sleeve on and just trim that black plastic thing a bit. Makes lining the steering up way easier if you are by yourself.

Also, it can only go in so far as you can't get the bolt through if it's too far in/not far in enough.

Yes I will keep the plastic bit on and was planning on trimming . That's not really my problem though, clearance is. Might try get one of those vauxhaul corsa linkages as they look smaller

1988 coupe standard m20b25 motor

Can you not just use the standard e30 linkage and cut the rubber out and bolt together? I have a sh*t load of room with m52 and Eaual headers.

The e30 U-joint doesn't even clear the headers, it actually hits the pipes :/ like so...

Either my motor mounts just fully suck and are sagging big time or something is out possibly out of line (subframe..?).

Dunno, what to do, I'm hoping my poly mounts coming in the mail are going so solve my problems

IMG_9636.jpg

Did you put the rack spacers above or below the tabs?

Above, below makes even worse

How about a picture of your engine mounts? They must be farked

So mounts look fine :mellow:, slight lean on them but nothing much, my cars only done ~70000miles so kinda to be expected.

Does any one know the factory width spec? doubt they have shrivelled much by looking at them - one side is only about 2mm lower than the other

IMG_9645.jpgIMG_9647.jpg

Weird.

Just space the motor up with some big metal shims, wont need much by the look of it?