Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

E36 rack swap

Yeah I think thats gonna be easiest option as far as I can tell, probably like 5mm would give a comfortable gap. That wont give the driveshaft alignment too much stress will it?

Nah your probably going to change the angle by like 2 degrees.. No biggy. That is strange though, Mounts look in pretty good shape.

Is this an m50 or m52? The reason I ask is cos my m52 had factory stainless headers, these look cast... Could this be something to do with it?

I also had to put spacers in my rack mounting position, and my engine mounts look taller than those...

It's m20 2.5 factory headers. M50 has bigger mounts I believe. I've put two 3mm square washers on each side now it clears by about 3mm as opposed to 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I been figuring out all the hoses atm, am going to use this e46 hose for the rack to fluid reservoir, other hose think ill bend up the e30 one.

Am I able to/is it worthwhile using the e46 oil cooler bit, or should I just flag it and go straight to the reservoir? Does it even work with the e30 pump..? Was just going to mount it underneath the radiator.

IMG_9673.jpg

Hi all. I am doing the conversion to my 318 manual coupe and am having some 318 specific manifold clearance issues but otherwise seems to be going well ,if a little slowly. For what it's worth i think that the metalastic column bush should be retained as the subframe is rubber mounted so with rigid connection to steering column there is shock transferred which should not be if left out (IMHO etc)

Holden Astra steering shaft + a $30 pipe bender, rack is ready to go :)

IMG_9694.jpgIMG_9696.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one how did you manage to work that one out? Splines the same?

Seen it on a few uk forums. Never clicked that vauxhall = opel = Holden till I was walking round pick a part pulling out every linkage I came across haha...duh. Spline on rack side is almost the same except for a 'master spline' which I just hacked down with the dremel. And for the steering column side of the linkage I separated the e30 u joint and put it on the Holden one as it didn't have splines

479b67e078c03110e36df3fbe0d7b7e7.jpg

Edited by potatomash

Well first got one from a 2002 Astra then the u joint was a bit gritty so got another one from a vectra wagon not sure what year.

I must say its a nice looking shaft...lol

Edited by potatomash

Well, I am getting on with my steering rack conversion on my 318. Possibly not too many people doing it to these but if you are i have found a rather lucky mod with the exhaust manifold. I cut a section of it out so i could start modding it when i realised that if i turned the bit i cut off upside down and welded it in it would clear the steering linkage .... result!! see photos. Will only work for 318 but unbelievable coincedence.

Also, i personally don't think that omitting the flexible portion of the steering linkage on a car with rubber mounted subframe is a grand idea so I'm going with the mod outlined in the sticky which is using urethane. if anyone is interested i am buying the rod of 80mm urethane tomorrow and will have a fair bit to spare so deals can be made for the remainder when i'm finished.

post-52211-0-73352900-1434532177.jpg

post-52211-0-85840100-1434532193.jpg

post-52211-0-06195000-1434532205.jpg

Edited by agent75

Nice one that's the best way to solve clearance issues. Got mined all plumbed up tonight and man it goes good. Old e30 rack was a dog! Can actually feel what the cars doing now. The akg engine mounts feel good as to everything feels way tighter