Sign in to follow this  
Rohil

M20 Conversion Wiring Help Needed

Tried jumping the starter that way, nothing. So suspected starter, BUT its weird that it would click and try to turn the engine when you use the key?

So its gone into a garage because as much as id love to learn and say iv fixed it, id like to drive it more haha. So fingers crossed itll be up and running soon!

So the guy reckons it's a valve to piston. But he hasn't properly started diagnosing the car. But when I changed the cambelts the cam and crank was lined up to the factory marks. He said it's at 'half cycle' most likely.

So can anyone confirm if this would be the case even though the cam and crank marks are lined up perfectly?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I did ask earlier, Did you try to turn it over using a wrench on the front to see if it was stuck?

• Like 1

If you had the cam/crank timing marks properly lined up, there is no way the pistons would have hit the valves. You will have pistons 1 and 6 at TDC and either 1 or 6 firing i.e. 1/2 cycle

The correct way of doing a belt change is, before installing the belt, you should have the rocker cover off and make sure that, when the cam pulley mark lines up with the mark on the head, no1 valves are closed/no6 are rocking. Also, as it is a 323i, there is a third timing mark that needs to be set to align the distributor so no1 is firing.

Being 180 degrees out (1/2 cycle) only puts no6 on the firing stroke instead of no1. Who is your mechanic??????? I am worried......

It's a m20b25 now, and yes I was also a bit skeptical as I was under the impression with timing marks the pistons would not collide with valves. On a b25, does the dizzy need to be aligned or just leave it to do its own thing?

I did ask earlier, Did you try to turn it over using a wrench on the front to see if it was stuck?

Yeah I did, I mean it was a little hard with power steering and alternator belts on, but was quite easy once they came off to turn it over. That's why I kinda thought there's no way they're hitting

It's a m20b25 now, and yes I was also a bit skeptical as I was under the impression with timing marks the pistons would not collide with valves. On a b25, does the dizzy need to be aligned or just leave it to do its own thing?

On any M20, if the distributor is down the side of the motor, it needs setting. If it is on the front of the head, timing is controlled by the ECU.

So timing marks line up, Engine turns over, I doubt it's a valve to piston. Was the engine a runner before you put it in? Who did you take it to anyway?

Edited by e30ftw

So timing marks line up, Engine turns over, I doubt it's a valve to piston. Was the engine a runner before you put it in? Who did you take it to anyway?

Yeah it was a runner, made sure to see it with me own eyes before I bought it. It's at this guy's shop in mangere, he's built a few turbo'd E30s and owns one himself so I kind of trusted that he'd know what is happening.

Maybe I cocked something up when putting the gearbox on?

Tried a different battery? I've had brand new batteries that wouldn't crank from sitting on the shelf too long.

Okay guys, so the top end was pulled off and apparently it was at 'half-cycle'. Im going to go visit on Saturday to see whats gone on.

Long story short, possible valve to piston. BUT i have a spare m20b23 lying around. Is it possible to use this head on the b25?