Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

Bimmersport newbie

Hi guys and gals,

Im new to the BMW scene, just purchasing a trusty old 318ti e36 as my new daily driver.

I have never been into the BMW scene (until now), sticking to Mercedes, how ever I am so impressed in the 318ti that I am trying to source a cool BMW under $10,000, so the question is this, whats the best model for that price range; any suggestions e36, e39 ect? not really that fussed on how many doors, transmisson ect to be honest...

Cheers!

Welcome mate, (I am new too!).

My first BMW was an e39 528i. Pretty epic, cushy cruiser. Most of the ones out there are still in good nick and the engines are reliable - electronics, cooling were my only areas of grief. Recently I had been looking at getting another one, ended up test driving a motorsport 530i that was $8k. Great to drive, lowish kms. Non-motorsport e39s IMO aren't looking quite as "cool" anymore, and the cost of motorsport ones vs. non demonstrates this.

I'd suggest looking at getting an e46, you should be able to find some under $10k these days. They're great looking, amazing to drive, more modern looking - I've had two of them (318ci and 325ci) and found them pretty reliable.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Yea, love the e39 motorsports, drove a 540i awhile back and was impressed with the way it went. Whilst having a browse on Trademe, Ive seen a E34 V12 wagon aswell as some e36 M3's which look like some good buying!

Might delve further into looking at some e46's however I thing i'd need atleast the 2.8 or 3.0 litre engine!

325 is pretty quick and the fuel economy around town is well balanced. The 330s are still a bit higher in cost on TradeMe when I was looking recently, they've held their value.

• Like 1