Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

850i E31 Trademe listing worth it?

Hi Michael to answer your question regarding the exhaust, mine is as original as it left the factory. However, I do wish BMW had played around with the exhaust note - the M62 on the E31 is very quiet- you only hear a decent burble as you punch it hard.

As for your query regarding values, hard to say. My car is a tad random. How often does BMW only make only 3 examples in manual for a certain model for the right hand drive market? My car is the only Motorsport spec car too out of the 3 manuals they did make -so it has m sport suspension and cosmetics including the CSI body-kit ( the other 2 manuals in Orient blue live in the UK). So it is a bit unusual. What makes it more unique is that it has only done 53,000 kms. However it is not for sale so hard to ascertain- but lots cheaper than a csi in similar nick!

A year back or so a 1998 4.4 with auto gear box with 112,000 kms went for $23k after being on the market for less than a week. As Jooles mentioned earlier a 1995 4.0 with 100,000ks sat on t/me for $20k for eternity without being sold.

If you roll the clock back a few years to 2009, Gerry Hodges's old 4.0 6 speed exchanged hands at $43k. However, it was in like new condition and had 48'000 ks on the clock.

Hard to value a car in NZ like mine because demand is not high for an e31. However, because it is a one-off and has low k's I guess it will probably command more than the average 840 or 850i.

It's misunderstood because many outside of the BMW fan-base believe it to be a "performance car" that didn't achieve great notoriety or success in the market.

• Like 2

The E31 doesn't need much to jump up another level, pix from car dream Alpina japan.

post-1048-0-98398400-1427268061.jpg

post-1048-0-54962200-1427268074.jpg

• Like 2

I think a low kms 4.4L manual would be worth a bit here but no idea how much, certainly not as much as a csi - a good one of those will be $75K+ now. I got offered a manual 4L 840i with 120K miles ex-UK for $3K - they're cheap as chips there now but likely to be impossible to comply without major work (just ask Brad who brought in the technoviolet csi).

If theyre that cheap over there, it'd make a good donor for a manual swap.

Love that Alpina one above. I'd love an 8 series but the maintenance costs scare me (even doing all the work myself, still aint cheap!).

• Like 1