Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

850i E31 Trademe listing worth it?

Hi guys and gals,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=856518167

Came across this 1991 BMW 850i with 120,000km for $8,500 ono however the catch is that it needs a new brake master cylinder...Any one know about these and some common issues to look out for.

Dont know if its even worth my time to view as it looks kinda neglected and a bit too good to be true!?

What the sellers mentioned would just be the tip of the iceberg.

Plenty of gremlins would be hiding within just from general wear and tear / lack of maintenance. (All suspension and mounting components for instance)

Other factor is has it been in any accidents..

A potentially good buy but I wouldn't bother unless I had a workshop to strip it down to a degree and a fair amount of cash to sort it out.

The seller bought it post divorce and hit on hard times. Obviously didn't manage to recoup his money trying to sell at the price he bought it for (around $15K) so has decided to try and cut his losses and keep the creditors at bay. Feel bad for the guy (also wished he'd offered it to me for $8.5K when I was looking!).

A new BMC is around $250 and not that hard to fit. It's likely to have other issues but it's still a very cheap 8er. As I tell most people - whether it's a $10K one and $10K on parts, or a mint one for $20K - expect to pay $20K all up for a decent 850i.

That said, if you've got good parts contacts and can do the work yourself, this one is a bargain.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/46575-my-new-e31-breaks-issue/?hl=vincentfrandsen#entry505568

• Like 1

Very helpful information thanks so much,

Yea, think I will give it a miss and wait for one just with a bit less wrong with it. I own a SL500 benz so I know these German cars can put a hefty dent in you bank balance! Anyone know any info on that maroon e34 V12 wagon listed on Trademe by any chance?

Cheers!

Ahhhhh!!!

Awesome car i might have to ask him for some more pictures!

I think the deal breaker here is the year. 1991 is too early for an E31 and I would definitely look for something well after 1994. Not an easy one though....

Hi,

Yea funny you should say that, there seems to be a huge price differentiation between early and late models. I see a later model Csi for i think around 27k (which is way out of my price range!!!)...

Might just give the E31 dream a miss lol

cheers!

What happened in 1994?

Kurt Cobain died.

• Like 5

A friend of mine is selling his excellent condition 850.

I think it may be that 27k one.

Well looked after, however not a CSI. Just some bits

Should add if you have an E46 M3, he would be keen on a swap ;)

Sadly, Amber, despite the plate and csi spoiler, his car's only worth around $20k if it's absolutely mint but probably more like $13-15K, if not.

Yes

Sadly, Amber, despite the plate and csi spoiler, his car's only worth around $20k if it's absolutely mint but probably more like $13-15K, if not.

I will be sure to let him know.

I know this family very well and they are fantastic with their cars. I considered the 540i Msport they had up for sale not too long ago.

Haha, that is WAY out of my price range lol

Awesome car tho, would be the one to get if someone wanted a showroom condition e31!

And as for that $12,000 maroon one, just a little to many kms for myself...although I'm sure the engine could probably do another 240,000km.....nice car

To be fair I have no knowledge on the worth of these cars.

And yes, I can understand the High Ks idea.. I was like that with the M3. It now has 115km (72Miles) and I have started panicking haha!

• Like 1

An E46 M3....now that's got to be up there in my dream cars!

I'm praying that they get cheaper in the next couple of years so I might be able to afford one, however its got to be manual with the 19 inch wheels like the black one above, amazing car :D

• Like 1

More like Black Beast now:

SMG which I can't say anything other than I love it.

In before manual troops arrive.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Wow that's so awesome,

So SMG isnt is bad as they say it is eh?

Wow that's so awesome,

BuMvf6pIAAA2CmD.jpg

• Like 2

Wow that's so awesome,

Don't slag it until you own it is the theory.

No need for me to post up SMG beating manual.. Or to go into why. As above comment, can of worms. But certainly don't drag it off your list until you have

- tested it on a track. On rural roads. Ramp light drags.

- spoken to Ray @ HellBM who owns them and wouldn't be potentially creating the devil of an M3 wagon with an SMG box if it wasn't worth it...

• Like 2