Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

Mercedes-Benz 500Sl 1992

Hi guys and gals,

Firstly I know this is a BMW forum however couldn't resist putting up a couple of pics of my SL!

So I purchased this car from a guy in KeriKeri who had about 50 Mercs and beemers, the reason It stood out was that it only has 60,000km!

I also have a walkaround video of the car -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNWUj2F2s8

post-52031-0-30745500-1426556645_thumb.j

post-52031-0-60795200-1426556648_thumb.j

post-52031-0-33636700-1426556651_thumb.j

post-52031-0-33531700-1426556653_thumb.j

post-52031-0-00070800-1426556664_thumb.j

post-52031-0-03982000-1426556667_thumb.j

post-52031-0-63865200-1426556668.jpg

• Like 2

Nice ! I still love these old SL's

Still look good don't they

I was so close to buying one about 6 years ago, only problem it was a two seater. Which meant no dog seats.

Couldn't do it.

Edited by M5V8

Hi guys and gals,

Firstly I know this is a BMW forum however couldn't resist putting up a couple of pics of my SL!

So I purchased this car from a guy in KeriKeri who had about 50 Mercs and beemers, the reason It stood out was that it only has 60,000km!

I also have a walkaround video of the car -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNWUj2F2s8

Lovely Merc :)

Edited by KillerX
  • Like 1

Yea, ive only had it for about 6 months, with the top down it turns a few heads! 2 seats isn't ideal for most people however I only use the car in the weekends so its not really an issue for me to be honest.

Looks very tidy. 60,000kms indeed.

I had the chance to drive a 1994 model around for a few days. Powerful machine, but they are hefty barge of a car. Perfect to cruise around in with the top down, especially with that engine sound. Not so much a car to push into corners though.

Being yours is a 1992 the only draw back would be that full hydraulic 4 speed auto, they are okay but pretty dim witted things. I've heard the 5 speed electronic 1996 version boxes are a huge improvement, but of course you cant just drop one of those in.

Still one of my favorite looking cars of the 90s :)

• Like 1

Hi Michael thanks for you kind words!

Yea, car has about 350hp, and weighs over 2 tons! which is an insane amount for a 2 door roadster, and i'm surprised it goes as well as it does to be honest hauling that much weight...

As for the transmission - dont get me started! grrr.. it will need some attention in the near future, as it makes a bad whining noise in park and drive. However it has been doing it for years so I spose only time will tell (fingers crossed) :mellow:

Hah bugger, yeah, Im not sure if you bother to fix the original or look for alternatives.

I dont know Mercedes specifics but it would be nice to adapt an older car to run a newer box, but that wouldnt be easy unless they ran a separate tcu and you could get all the sensor required etc...

• Like 1

Beautiful car, nice buy! Be greteful you have the 4spd auto, the 5spd is nice but apparently they don't last as long and have some gremlins.

My dream was a 500sl on AMG Aero III's with a 6speed manual.

Are you on Ozbenz?

Beautiful car, nice buy! Be greteful you have the 4spd auto, the 5spd is nice but apparently they don't last as long and have some gremlins.

My dream was a 500sl on AMG Aero III's with a 6speed manual.

Are you on Ozbenz?

No I am not? Never heard of it. Is it a merc forum? B)

Edited by benzboy

http://ozbenz.net/

Aus + NZ Benz forum

Awesome, think I might have to make a NZ based merc forum like here lol....cost too much though :wacko:

well... you have already found the 'other european' section of this site.

As you have seen, we aren't snobs. Plenty of appreciation of other makes found here.

• Like 1

well... you have already found the 'other european' section of this site.

As you have seen, we aren't snobs. Plenty of appreciation of other makes found here.

Indeed. I find its more about the community & people too rather than just the cars.

Indeed. I find its more about the community & people too rather than just the cars.

If it was just about the cars you and your Soarer would be elsewhere, right?!

• Like 2

If it was just about the cars you and your Soarer would be elsewhere, right?!

How much does your e31 weigh? performance wise in comparison to etherty _andys e34, there wouldnt be much in it?

Edited by benzboy

How much does your e31 weigh? performance wise in comparison to etherty _andys e34, there wouldnt be much in it?

Not much in it with the V12 on board - if anything the E34 is probably lighter as the 850 is very close to two tonnes. That said, the 8er is more aerodynamic (I believe it had the lowest drag coefficient of any car at the time) and my car has Wokke's V2 chips so it's pretty quick compared to standard.

Both go like stink for big cars though!

Edited by jeffbebe

(I believe it had the lowest drag coefficient of any car at the time)

A lot of factors effect drag coefficients but there were a few cars pre 1989 that did in fact have a lower or same Cd as the 8er. Even the boxy LS400 could do 0.29, yet beaten by the Opel Calibra '89 and Citroen SM '70 both with an impressive 0.26

A Cd between .25 and .30 seems to the the trend for most modern coupe or saloon cars these days.

Take it to someone who know Mercedes, and Mercedes autos, to service the gearbox. These things need the bands adjusted other wise they'll start flaring and if its bad enough you'll loose drive altogether (usually the band for 1st, 2nd and 3rd). Probably not a major at 60,000km, but something to keep in mind. I also prefer the factory amber lights over the clears ;)

I have a soft spot for large Mercedes. The 140 S Class was one of my dream cars as a kid, unfortunately cheap imports and pond scum butchering them on 20" rims during the 2000s killed any desire to own one (I have actually owned an S320, but it wasn't for long).

However I've had a 560SEC, a 126 280SE, and a couple of 116 280se. Great engines those injected 2.8 dohc, and great cars the 116 and 126 S Classes, without doubt one of the best series/model/chassis of car ever built. If I see a decent 560sec on the market I will buy one.

• Like 1

still love the 560sec. built like a tank.

A real AMG hammer would be a keeper.

• Like 2

^ one of the all time great cars

I would hate to think how much a hammer would cost nowdays! wow

Japanese 90s review. Classic!

The Hammer is a bit quiet outside, but that interior sound at 1:24... NICE!

• Like 1

Nice! I've always been a sucker for the older SL's along with all other Mercs.. I do need to get myself in one again.

I remember being 15 learning to drive in a S420, was like driving a tank, loved it. Not as much as the CL65 I had in the states a year or two back. Huge 2 door Mercs are the best haha

• Like 1