Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

Mercedes-Benz 500Sl 1992

Yea, they are good cars, build like a brick shithouse. Cl65 would have some serious grunt! :D

Just too bad that 95-05 Era were built like crap in areas they should have never had problems in.

As much as I like some Mercs of that era, I just wouldnt touch one.

Just too bad that 95-05 Era were built like crap in areas they should have never had problems in.

As much as I like some Mercs of that era, I just wouldnt touch one.

They weren't that bad, build quality was good however components and mechanical sensors were shocking. Better build quality than late 90's BMW hands down. No sagging hood lining, dull headlights, airbag sensors and false obc warnings! I love BMW, however Mercedes in the 90's hands down had a build quality worlds ahead, however im not sure about the 00's ...

From what I've seen BMW was much better in the late 90s.

Still niggly issues. But between both of them they did have issues.

I guess a late 90s LS400 is the pick of the bunch. Next to no faults :) (Other than being a bit boring)

Love 1990's Mercedes. I had a W140 at one time. Always like the R129 great looking car when paired with some AMG mono-blocks.

• Like 1

Love 1990's Mercedes. I had a W140 at one time. Always like the R129 great looking car when paired with some AMG mono-blocks.

Yes, amazing cars, truly ahead in innovation at the time

Yes, amazing cars, truly ahead in innovation at the time

Any examples of this innovation?

Any examples of this innovation?

The rollover bar which deployed during a crash with the softtop or roof down was pretty cool at the time.

• Like 2

The rollover bar which deployed during a crash with the softtop or roof down was pretty cool at the time.

Fastest ever closing soft top @ the time, auto safety roll bar, fastest production 32valve v8 in 1989, ect :)

Fastest ever closing soft top @ the time, auto safety roll bar, fastest production 32valve v8 in 1989, ect :)

Yes, the M119 is regarded as one of the engines Mercedes has produced.

Indeed. I found it to be quite a fine motor.

Great power delivery and an aswesome sound. Definitely passes the seat-of-the-pants test.

(322 hp/240 kW) at 5700 rpm and 354 ft·lbf (479 N·m) at 3900 rpm. Lovely.

M119vs_M113.jpg

Indeed. I found it to be quite a fine motor.

Great power delivery and an aswesome sound. Definitely passes the seat-of-the-pants test.

(322 hp/240 kW) at 5700 rpm and 354 ft·lbf (479 N·m) at 3900 rpm. Lovely.

M119vs_M113.jpg

Awesome power comparison Michael, Yea the M119 has very little low down torque and I find that it is delivered at around 4000 revs. Mercedes replaced it with the M113 as they wanted a engine with a lower torque range (which they acheived) however it was about 20hp down on the m119...IMO I would rather have higher delivery of torque...I'd presume your soarer would have the same delivery?

The M113 seems like a lesser motor in some ways, more cost saving measures, but better suited for low end torque like you say. It seems to have a lesser following than the M119, given the vibe on the internet.

To be honest I think the M119 makes a sh*t load of torque from the get go, nearly 400nm at 1500pm, going on to a peak of 479nm... it sure means buisness!

My smaller 4.0L Soarer engine has always been a bit lacking in low down torque, probably the main reason people supercharge them a lot. Only making 300nm at 1500rpm, on to a peak of 355nm at 4400rpm, so a similar torque curve to the M119, but down the best part of 100nm! :P

The M113 seems like a lesser motor in some ways, more cost saving measures, but better suited for low end torque like you say. It seems to have a lesser following than the M119, given the vibe on the internet.

To be honest I think the M119 makes a sh*t load of torque from the get go, nearly 400nm at 1500pm, going on to a peak of 479nm... it sure means buisness!

My smaller 4.0L Soarer engine has always been a bit lacking in low down torque, probably the main reason people supercharge them a lot. Only making 300nm at 1500rpm, on to a peak of 355nm at 4400rpm, so a similar torque curve to the M119, but down the best part of 100nm! :P

My m119 only has 57,000km on it, so id doubt it has a timing issue ect, but even with the traction control off there is no way you can spin the wheels!

Is the gearbox quite soggy of the line?

I think it's partly due to that full hydrualic box, quite an old style torque converter generating too much slip.

So if its dry and you floor it - no spin?

What rear tyres are you running?

No its not soggy, however it does occasionally slip under full acceleration when the trans is REALLY hot (continuous driving in hot weather) Id say it would be the torque converter, the trans is 25 years old and whines when in drive but not in park or neutral, father who is a mechanic thinks it could just be blocked oil cooler lines, looks untouched so id say it could do with a service. tbh it has never worried me as I use the car as a cruiser with the top down, and don't really need to do skids lol

Tires are Falken Azenis 275/35/18 on rear

Edited by benzboy

those boxes were hewn out of a block of granite with a hammer and chisel. the famous clunk when getting in gear should be quite apparent, but more so in the W140...

My gear changes are pretty smooth

is there a more quintessential bad guy car?

screams don't F with me.

Would look right at home in a Mad Max scene... :P

I think the most bad ass car would have to be the e30 M3 or r35 GTR dont know why but I think they are all a bit understated which adds to the bad ass scene?!