Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

What looks better; clear or stock cornering lights?

Hi guys, could I get your opinion?

I purchased these clear aftermarket indicator lights of ebay thinking it would update the appearance of my car, however upon installing them I'm having 2nd thoughts on how they look. The guy in the Benz dealer reckoned they looked tackey....Thoughts?

:/

post-52031-0-55469300-1426660748_thumb.j

post-52031-0-37699700-1426660845_thumb.j

Love the clears on that particular car. Had the pleasure of owning a sl600 for a short period. Was a beauty. Yours is too. Nice car man. Personal preference with regards to the indicator lenses but clear all the way from me. :)

• Like 1

Well, personally when it comes to Mercedes I prefer stock aesthetics. The stock corners look better to me, but thats my opinion. Very nice 129 you have there btw ;) I would love to have one of these one day with a set of AMG Aero III's.

Don't happen to have any Monoblocks lying around do you? Need some for my 124.

Edited by Dn540

Well, personally when it comes to Mercedes I prefer stock aesthetics. The stock corners look better to me, but thats my opinion.

Don't happen to have any Monoblocks lying around do you? Need some for my 124.

No I don't. Been trying to source some 17' monos for my 190E. Rare as on Trademe, and when they are on TM they are either all kurbed up and need refurbishing or overpriced lol :wacko:

Edited by benzboy

They do seem to freshen it up in clears but I also like the OEM, oh what to do ?

Either way it looks pretty sh*t hot!

• Like 1

They do seem to freshen it up in clears but I also like the OEM, oh what to do ?

Either way it looks pretty sh*t hot!

To be honest I like the OEM personally. Im really angry because i purchased the clear ones from china for $100 and when i went to fit them i chipped the corner because the corner stuck out to much, and hit the headlight! That will teach me for buying cheap rubbish lol\

And by the way what are the E500's like. Do they go alright with the 300hp, build quality, ect?

Edited by benzboy

Yeah had no issues with the E500, airmatic always in the back of my mind....

The 7 Spd box and drive is smooth and slick so always the choice if cruising. But I have trashed it up the Kaimais and that was still pretty sh*t hot LOL

Really bang for V8 buck it's hard to pass IMO

• Like 1

Yeah had no issues with the E500, airmatic always in the back of my mind....

The 7 Spd box and drive is smooth and slick so always the choice if cruising. But I have trashed it up the Kaimais and that was still pretty sh*t hot LOL

Really bang for V8 buck it's hard to pass IMO

Hmmm, very tempted to view one. A respectable one can be had for under 11k these day. Id want to lower it and put e63 front on it though. I see there is a e55 w211 on TM for 18k which seems like a deal for 500bhp! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=854153251

Hmmm, very tempted to view one. A respectable one can be had for under 11k these day. Id want to lower it and put e63 front on it though. I see there is a e55 w211 on TM for 18k which seems like a deal for 500bhp! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=854153251

Yeah the 500s are good, not the punch of our 550 having 60 less horses but still more smack then anything you can get for the price, I put a UK aftermarket head unit in it as well as the jap radio will be useless, expect 700 to 1000 to address this.

Get right on 10l /100 k so damn good on gas but I'm mainly open road driving as well.

E55 would definitely be dreamy...

• Like 1

This is one of those personal opinion issues either hate them or love them. The clears give it a not so Gordy look but the flat lense surface just doesn't match with the style of the car maybe if they had been frosted it might blend in.

• Like 1

If the clears were OEM quality perhaps. But in this case I think the amber originals look the best, and suit the cars era of style.

• Like 1

Ahh brabus Monoblock Vs. Used to have a set..saw someone mentioning monoblocks. I think the guy that bought the car off me still has them somewhere

• Like 1

If the clears were OEM quality perhaps. But in this case I think the amber originals look the best, and suit the cars era of style.

Yea, i have decided to list the clear ones on Trademe, and I have purchased a pair of new orange OEM ones. Just look better imo...

Good choice. The OEM look great, especially on that colour combo.

Nice car BTW, have always listed after one, I saw one at a motorshow when I was about 10, the roof mechanism was impressive... also, Matchbox did one that looked like your car, even had orange repeaters.

matchbox-33-mercedes-benz-500sl-7630-MLC

• Like 2

Good choice. The OEM look great, especially on that colour combo.

Nice car BTW, have always listed after one, I saw one at a motorshow when I was about 10, the roof mechanism was impressive... also, Matchbox did one that looked like your car, even had orange repeaters.

matchbox-33-mercedes-benz-500sl-7630-MLC

Thanks Graham,

Yea roof is pretty impressive for late 80's technology for sure! Unfortunately mine isnt working at the moment so im having to resort to taking the hard top off manually aswell as soft top....hoping it will be a simple fix, finger crossed ^_^

Careful of the supercharged Merc motors i've heard some horror stories, including a written off one of my mates. Not trashed. Just cruising at 30kph and boom. Engine done.

Back to the Q at hand. usually i say clear... but with those SL's I tend to prefer the OEM. I don't know why. Just suits.

• Like 1

Careful of the supercharged Merc motors i've heard some horror stories, including a written off one of my mates. Not trashed. Just cruising at 30kph and boom. Engine done.

What spec was that engine?

that was the C32 supercharged 6cly. We had it stripped at a garage and he proceeded to tell us some horror stories of the Merc supercharged motor failures.

Nothing against merc's he actually went on to by a C63. which is a magic motor.

The C32 piston still sits on his desk.

Top drive train failure, dropped the valve into the motor lunched 3 pistons. Apparently it just happens.

Edited by M5V8

What spec was that engine?

They are a v6 3.2 350hp supercharged. I think they are also a 24 valve?

• Like 1

correct.

except this was a 24 - 3 valve.

;)

correct.

except this was a 24 - 3 valve.

;)

Aahh, i guess i was close...lol

Somewhat. ha.

from what I gathered they had issues with valve-train breakages with all the supercharged motors. They used cast parts just weren't upto the task long term and just broke.

Hah, oh right now I'm with you... just googled it..."The Mercedes-Benz M112 engine is a V6 automobile piston engine family used in the 2000s. Introduced in 1998, it was the first V6 engine ever built by Mercedes"

Built in their infamous quality control era so not too surprisingly really.....Give me a supercharged Toyota Camry 1MZ V6 any day of the week!

Hah, oh right now I'm with you... just googled it..."The Mercedes-Benz M112 engine is a V6 automobile piston engine family used in the 2000s. Introduced in 1998, it was the first V6 engine ever built by Mercedes"
Built in their infamous quality control era so not too surprisingly really.....Give me a supercharged Toyota Camry 1MZ V6 any day of the week!

Was that your silver e36 silver on trademe a while back with a lexus v8 in it or am i dreaming?

It might have been, guy I sold it to in October has since swapped for a Subaru and now the guy with it is currently looking to sell hah.

Mine was a darker grey, not silver. On 17" M sport E46 alloys.

Edited by Michael.