Sign in to follow this  
Snowflake

My new (to me) 2008 135i

Saw an identical 135i hot footing up Richmond Rd a couple nights ago. Was it you? If so, slow down ;)

Na mate haven't been over those ways for a while!

Is there a break-in period with new tyres that I should be aware of?

Around 500-1000ks they settle down.

• Like 1

Extremely happy with the fitment of the wheels - as soon as I took my first drive there was an immediate improvement of the old runflats. Both front and rear now sit flush with the body and give the car that subtly aggressive look I was after.

Great to meet a few more guys yesterday and now look forward to taking advantage of the engine potential!

Quick pic from parking up for lunch on Sunday - can't help but turn around every time I walk away from the car!

post-52035-0-15345600-1433715095.jpg

post-52035-0-71299200-1433715104.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good on those wheels.

• Like 1

The car has been at BM Workshop all week getting full check over with regular service items as well as spark plugs replaced. Have also had a walnut blasting job done on the intakes (Which were very dirty for 70,000kms!) so looking forward to see if I can feel the difference. Even if I can't, it provides a bit of piece of mind know things can operate a bit cleaner!

Will post the after pics tomorrow after I pick her up to show the difference. Should be all ready for a tune now :D

post-52035-0-78619100-1434580363.jpg

post-52035-0-24477500-1434580369.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up the car last night and went the long way home - wow car seems to have a little more power and a lot more response! Even the sound between 3-6k rpm seems to be different than I remember... Not sure how much of this is a placebo effect but happy none the less considering the difference in the before/after photos!

post-52035-0-89291200-1434669554.jpg

post-52035-0-94458200-1434669563_thumb.j

placebo or not the photos alone will definitely give you some peace of mind! well done

• Like 2

Realising this thread should be in the projects section now...but anyway...

I ordered a JB4, BMS Dual intakes, Charge pipe w/ tial BOV, and Oil Catch Can around 2 weeks ago from the states and arrived on Saturday morning

Was quite busy this weekend however had some time yesterday afternoon to attempt to install the JB4. I don't have much experience at all with engines apart from changing oil and filters, but read that it wasn't too difficult, so had my ipad in the garage with the PDF and Youtube video instructions and took around 1.5hrs. Car started first time though and didn't throw any codes so success! Hardest bit was knowing how much force was needed for the removal and installation of some bits but now I know can do it in 30mins if I need to remove it at all

This car is now a beast! I was worried that I had done too much research and my expectations would be too high, but there is a very noticeable difference in power and torque. The first time I let the boost build in 3rd gear made me laugh like a kid

Excited to feel (and hear) the difference once the intake and charge pipe are installed later this week

post-52035-0-54789600-1436737363_thumb.j

• Like 3

Awesome! Glad to hear this has panned out well.

Dyno time! :)

Thanks man

Wish I booked a time to get a dyno run for the ECC meet at Hampton Downs in a couple of weeks! Thought that I would not have these mods installed by then so never registered my interest. I would expect at least 300hp to the wheels now by the way it pulls!

Thanks man

Wish I booked a time to get a dyno run for the ECC meet at Hampton Downs in a couple of weeks! Thought that I would not have these mods installed by then so never registered my interest. I would expect at least 300hp to the wheels now by the way it pulls!

Will be another day coming up soon

So I spent this weekend installing the ER charge pipe and BMS intakes - what a mission! Took me around 7hrs total as I was being cautious not to break anything and lost a screw down the engine which took 30min to recover

Using the instructions provided by ER, they weren't very detailed and my OEM charge pipe seemed to be different design to theirs, specifically an additional hose right by the MAP sensor which meant unlocking the wiring harness was a right pain. Had to heat the hose up with a hair dryer to get access

The next problem was the ER charge pipe doesnt seem to fit properly - I have identified on photo below - basically need to line up 3 points to get it secure: Throttle body, intercooler piping, and middle bracket. No matter how hard I try I can't get the middle bracket screw back in.

First test drive I didn't have the clamp on tight enough to intercooler pipe (they warn that because it is plastic you don't want to tighten too hard or else it may crack) and on my 1st real pull it popped off so I limped home.

I then took everything out again and tried again. This time I set the throttle body end first and put the C-clip in then managed to wiggle the other end into place and tightened silicone hose down hard. This still left the middle bracket around 2cm too high and 1cm too wide from the screw hole - so I put a few cable ties through instead.

Have done a few test drives although not full boost and nothing has budged so when I build up the courage (and Im close to home) will see how it goes. If there are more issues I will reinstall stock and send it back to USA. Intake noises sound good though!

Before

post-52035-0-80164700-1437349707.jpg

After

post-52035-0-12003500-1437349728.jpg

Where the pipe goes and the 3-points

post-52035-0-81942500-1437349769_thumb.j

Can't help with the fitment sorry but was wondering whether the cone filters will have some kind of enclosure around them. Otherwise, can't help thinking they will suck in a lot of warm engine air unlike the stock intake which is sealed and draws ducted cold air straight from the intakes.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 3

Can't help with the fitment sorry but was wondering whether the cone filters will have some kind of enclosure around them. Otherwise, can't help thinking they will suck in a lot of warm engine air unlike the stock intake which is sealed and draws ducted cold air straight from the intakes.

There has been many a debate on this exact topic and I think the answer always comes down to 'it depends'. Some of the US guys don't rate them since they are in much warmer climates and in a lot more traffic which suits the enclosed intake solution. However others who race or only drive in the weekends say there are improvements. Dyno before/afters show around a 15hp increase (which I take with a grain of salt) and from a week having them on I cannot tell a huge difference in throttle response or overall power, however I do enjoy the increased noise though, so for that reason alone I will leave them on until at least summer. Also the snorkel from the front of the car remains on so they do get fed some cold air

Edited by Snowflake

Now they are all releasing kits to move them to the otherside of the engine, proven dyno results apparently. The power steering reservoir moved.

post-44088-0-13600800-1437969512.jpg

Edited by Steve1616

Now they are all releasing kits to move them to the otherside of the engine, proven dyno results apparently. The power steering reservoir moved.

Makes sense as this engine does run very hot! Some kits (Stett) also put the filters underneath as well which makes sense although run much more expensive