Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W Ltd

Clarkson Sacked

I see Chris Harris and the other guy Rory are going to be Youtube behind the scenes guys.

That's a shame. Would rather have those two instead of Awkward Sabine and knob Evans.

• Like 1

Wow, they are ruining Chris Harris. What a misguided use of him in a menial role with some other guy know ones herd of.... he out does all the host, especially that failed actor from friends and that buffoon of a radio host.

I hope this new TG crashes and burns in its first season, it's bound to get panned by critics

I predict a spike in viewers for the initial release followed by a sharp decline once people realise what a fraud the show will be.

link? stream?

Just watch the new Top Gear.

Avoid.

Avoid like the plague.

I fell asleep on the couch before it had finished downloading... will give it a go dispute your warning Mike! :)

Id be amazed if even you can dispute it Dave. Its bad.

It might get better, but i doubt it will without a big overhaul.

Get rid of Chris Evans... That would improve it.

He's there because he likes cars, and the BBC wanted a 'name' to front the program.

• Like 1

I could live with 'Joey'. Chris Evans though is terrible.

Evans was worse than I expected.

Matt LeBlanc was better than I expected.

I think it needs a third host - maybe Sabine as those three personalities together would be interesting.

And someone tells Evans to stop trying so hard and to stop running and shouting.

I will probably watch the next episode, but only if the cars are good.

Bring on the grand tour.

Evans was worse than I expected.

Matt LeBlanc was better than I expected.

I think it needs a third host - maybe Sabine as those three personalities together would be interesting.

And someone tells Evans to stop trying so hard and to stop running and shouting.

I will probably watch the next episode, but only if the cars are good.

Bring on the grand tour.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that Evans was trying to secure artistic and production authority. Judging from his OTT performance, he may have succeeded - I can see why producers despaired of working with him. They may have more idea of what would work than he does.

i for one am not on the "i hate new top gear" bandwagon.

for what it was i thought it was a decent show. no way near the caliber of the seasons before it, but to draw any links to how it used to be is as relevant as drawing links to other franchises on youtube or similar. it is totally different now.

You know what? I quite enjoyed it.

I thought the studio scenes were quite contrived and Evans 'tried' too hard but otherwise it seemed fine to me. Disappointed we don't get any of Harris at all, I think he's good value. Matt did well, as I expected after stellar performances in Extras.

It's interesting that they've edged toward more of a "Top Gear US" style based around events or challenges with no single car analysis or news. The 'Star in a...' section is refreshing and a good change I think.

Disclosure: I love Top Gear US also and many (most?) Top Gear UK lovers hate it. The first season was dire (they used the same format as the original and failed) but the subsequent seasons have been fun. All they do is a major (normally episode long) challenge and thrash hard core hardware. And being Americans they pull that off perfectly.

It's interesting that they've edged toward more of a "Top Gear US" style based around events or challenges with no single car analysis or news. The 'Star in a...' section is refreshing and a good change I think.

Disclosure: I love Top Gear US also and many (most?) Top Gear UK lovers hate it. The first season was dire (they used the same format as the original and failed) but the subsequent seasons have been fun. All they do is a major (normally episode long) challenge and thrash hard core hardware. And being Americans they pull that off perfectly.

The US team tried to copy the success of the UK show, and failed. And realised they'd failed, so they did it their own way which worked much better (for them).

I wonder if we are going to see a similar situation here? Chris Evans is trying to run Top Gear the way he thinks it should be run, with him front and centre. I hope he's big enough to realise that doesn't work as well as he'd like, and that he'll step back a bit.

You know what? I quite enjoyed it.

I think those are fairly related. The clarkson-less reboot was never going to be like the original, in the same way that TG:US wasn't either. Just enjoy it for what it is, not what it used to be; and they're all quite decent car shows.

I think Tanner from US rounds out the trio quite well with someone who is actually a pretty mint driver; another reason to bring Sabine in as a third main host.

I'm hoping Chris will get better the eps go on, either by stopping trying so hard, or by me getting used to it.

I watched this last night - it was enjoyable aside from Evans being loud and annoying the entire show, but that's just how he is.
It's a shame that they are copying basically word for word the introductions, the statements made by the presenters before scene/section transitions etc, they could have made it a bit different considering it's a different cast.

I'll continue to watch it, simply because it's top gear, i just wish there was a version available with Evans muted.

Dont forget to watch ExtraGear, IMO its what the new TopGear should have been instead. Chris Harris is great, knows how to talk about cars and the new Rory guy has a personality. Evans is rubbish and the show would be better without him. Ill give LeBlanc a chance as i think he will bring some humor to the show, although im not a fan of him purely because he has this "i know im a star" ego about him.

• Like 1

I've not seen it yet. I'm looking forward to it. Rubix hit's the nail on the head. No sense in hating Chris Evans for being who he is! He's loud, abrasive, and waves his arms around. He's a bit of a twat. However, remember when he was a guest of Clarkson's? He came across as a pretty reasonable bloke, really. Give him a chance to settle in. He has pretty good taste too - he did marry Billie Piper after all! And he loves Fezzas. Can't be all bad.

As for "failed actor". You haven't seen "Episodes", a much better comedy than Friends ever%

Top Gear S23E01 meh .. pretty annoying. Matt was good even though it felt a little bit American topgear. Agreed, Chris Evans is terrible.

Extra Gear S01?E01 Felt a lot more natural although I did find Harris probably needs more air time to give him a chance to shine. One small segment in an atom and some forced banter which I didn’t find is his style.

I think Extra Gear will be the new topgear... I don’t see Evans doing well mainly because hes too shouty pirate. That stuff works on radio when hosting solo ... not on TV. You just make your other hosts look awrkard

• Like 2

I've not seen it yet. I'm looking forward to it. Rubix hit's the nail on the head. No sense in hating Chris Evans for being who he is! He's loud, abrasive, and waves his arms around. He's a bit of a twat. However, remember when he was a guest of Clarkson's? He came across as a pretty reasonable bloke, really. Give him a chance to settle in. He has pretty good taste too - he did marry Billie Piper after all! And he loves Fezzas. Can't be all bad.

As for "failed actor". You haven't seen "Episodes", a much better comedy than Friends ever%

Someone (let alone Billie Piper) married Chris Evans?!?! Wow... Perhaps money can buy you love...

And yeah what is with the boots?

Someone (let alone Billie Piper) married Chris Evans?!?! Wow... Perhaps money can buy you love...

Billie Piper also separated from Evans after 3 years, and divorced him in 2007. No little ginger monsters from that relationship, either.

• Like 1

I gotta credit Billie with good sense, or at least coming to her senses!

I was disappointed with extra gear,seemed really scripted,really nervous ,the questions were purile and we learnt nothing new about the cars.The bit about the racing team was slightly interesting but not related in any real way and even the ride along went nowhere.Whole concept seemed flawed and they seemed to be really struggling to find anything to say.

slightly west of(f) topic, I've just watched TG S22E8 (Netflix). Funniest TG I ever saw! Brilliant! Hammond's prize - and the way it was photographed - in the classic car challenge was superb. The lifestyle SUV challenge was par-excellence. I've just showed it to my kids and they were cracking up. Interesting to note Clarkson wailing "I hate working on Top Gear" during the river crossing section.

They were tired, it needed to move on.

Now, where can I watch this new season?

Now, where can I watch this new season?

Free to air on Prime tomorrow night.

Free to air on Prime tomorrow night.

thanks Dave! I guess I shall have to be patient and watch it in low-res, fast forwarding the adverts.

I'm-a-gonna look for it somewhere I can stream it in decent res. I've gone completely off broadcast TV and Sky. /rant