Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W Ltd

Clarkson Sacked

At least Prime is in HD now (on Sky at least, not sure about Freeview). Not sure about streaming options, I hear downloading is easier. ;)

i watched on BBC iPlayer using a geo unlocker.

I watched it last night, taped (Voda cable tv box) from Prime. Dave - hey that was good news, it was indeed in HD!

I thought it was pretty good, actually. Chris Evans? Well, he was being himself. Really. Everyone knows he's a bit of a knob, particularly Chris himself. I like that he's largely unapologetic about it, he has a bit of genuine about him, along with that cheezy energy. He should have a shave though. Designer stubble just becomes 'Aqualung' when your beard is more salt than pepper!

I thought Matt LeBlanc was very good. He's self-assured, a confident peddler, and is a purveyor of dry new york humour.

I was a bit bored with the top gun segment, though appreciated the constant nods to the movie. Sabine was relegated to being unable to beat Evans because her vette wasn't up to the Viper? Hmmm.

I thought Jessie Eisenberg with Gordo was largely un-funny, despite Eisenberg's sharp wisecracks. They were wasted where Evans was fawning over Gordo. Different format, better research and questions needed. Top Trumps style pitting guests against each other? Missed opportunity! What would Parkinson think?!

Anyway, the new Top Gear wasn't terrible, was pretty funny, and a change of presenters always takes time.

Oh, and updating the star in a reasonably-priced car into a rallycross with the minis - brilliant! Love the sound of those Minis, too.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

My 0.02 worth.

• Like 2

E02 was even better IMHO.

I'll have to have a look for this! #8 )

Skipped through 5 mins of wrong gear, was painful and completely un-interesting. Also something is up with the brown dudes eyes?

Looking forward to the amazony thingy.

Bit slow on watching it. But sat down with the Mrs last night. Didn't take her long to ask why Evans is always shouting. 5 mins later she was back to facebook as she was bored of the show.

I loved how they have this new rally cross track. But cut it up so much we really have no idea of the actual track. Nor do they introduce it in anyway....

That first shot of Sabine. sh*t she has aged. Still as awkward as ever in front of the camera.

Did anyone else look at the in studio crowd and feel something was off. To me they did not look like your typical crowd. They looked forced. Or I entered into a contest for tickets to a undisclosed TV show and won type of crowd.

I thought Matt LaBlanc was better than expected though. Polar opposite of Evans in the emotions/shouty department.

Reviews and views are mixed. A 'wooden' (or unimpressed?) audience may be being supplemented by canned laughter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/04/top-gear-reboot-boosted-by-canned-laughter-as-viewers-brand-it-t/

And the Beeb replacing Clarkson with Evans hasn't really worked - Evans is still running his breakfast radio show, and doing the days associated with Top Gear. On more than one occasion he has (allegedly!) been called on by the production team to 'calm down' after upsetting members of staff by ranting at them (reducing one to tears), and he is increasingly becoming a diva at the radio show too.

Edited by gjm

Ah canned laughter. Ruins shows for me. Shows like The Big Bang Theory use it way too much. Almost as if to say when we should laugh and what we should find funny.

Many US light humor TV shows abuse it.

Off to watch the 2nd episode now. Maybe the 3rd will be different as the article states they have been able to take on board all their critical feedback.

• Like 1

Maybe the 3rd will be different as the article states they have been able to take on board all their critical feedback.

I wonder if that'll include fitting a silencer to Chris Evans? ;)

Reviews and views are mixed. A 'wooden' (or unimpressed?) audience may be being supplemented by canned laughter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/04/top-gear-reboot-boosted-by-canned-laughter-as-viewers-brand-it-t/

And the Beeb replacing Clarkson with Evans hasn't really worked - Evans is still running his breakfast radio show, and doing the days associated with Top Gear. On more than one occasion he has (allegedly!) been called on by the production team to 'calm down' after upsetting members of staff by ranting at them (reducing one to tears), and he is increasingly becoming a diva at the radio show too.

The BBC have responded to criticism, and His Shoutyness has been busy on Twitter.

• Like 1

So I watched Extra Gear instead. And straight after it had finished the Mrs asked a pretty valid question.

Why the hell did they not put that show on before the main one? I had no idea who these people were (Other than Harris and Joey) until we watched this.

She still doesn't know anything about Shouty Man, Rory and anything about Joey other than his previous role.

Then I tell her there is another guy of which we have not seen yet.. Eddie Jordan.

Why did they not spend the first few episodes introducing us to the new hosts and new show.....

I found Jensen Button's casual as review while sideways on the McLaren to be refreshingly different; another one to add to the list of why not get that bloke to host instead of chris evans.

The in studio hosting format seems quite awkward still...

• Like 1

The old 3 were the show, they were comedians running a car show. Felt like they carried a passion for cars, and really wanted to tell you every detail about them... i could almost smell the leather.

The new line up, Evans isnt a comedian full stop, Joey (Matt) is a comedian but is playing the cool guy instead - boring. and Sabine is from Germany where comedy is some thing that only other nations do.

I think it will flop long term.

Shame such a shame i really liked the old Top Gear, episodes will probably be repeated forever like faulty towers.

• Like 1

...Sabine is from Germany where comedy is some thing that only other nations do.

Q: How many Germans does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One. We have no sense of humour and are very efficient.

:lol:

I haven't bothered looking at "new" topgear. It's never going to be the same show as it was. Not sure why they kept the name, really.

Yep, it's a different show now folks.

I think there's still fun to be had, albeit a different type of fun.

Lets see what they do with Episode 3. If they don't change their ways people will switch off for good. If there is no changes then I think that is it for me. Plenty of other good shows to watch of which I am not annoyed by Shouty McShoutface.

I've just started watching Extra Gear. Oh dear. It reminds me of a micro-sketch starring Ben Elton on The Young Ones "Nozin Around" Very contrived.

For the first time I was hoping a stage light would drop on Chris Evans like something out of Road Runner & Wylie Coyote, he spent about 35 seconds ad-libing about the new track and failed miserably, then crossed to Sabine who was precise yet strangely boring. My laptop has survived, my reactiuon was not as extreme as Rick's reaction to Nozin' Around at the end of the sketch.

Come to think of it, Rick Mayall would have been better than Chris Evans.

tumblr_n6x33977TQ1r2ij6po2_250.gif

This .gif of Rick Mayall as 'Rick' in The Young Ones is more entertaining than the first 5 mins of Extra Gear, IMHO. I'm off to self-flagelate and watch it to the end in the hope it improves. Extra Gear, not the .gif. Okay?

PS: Sabine is not a supermodel, we all age, I would encourage television that allows people - particularly women - to wear their age with grace instead of subscribing to the perpetual american beauty image illness. /rant

Edited by Olaf

extra gear reminds me of something NZ would make. The new host asks the guests the most inane questions, he reminds me of guy williams but he's not actually trying to be funny. the segment when he asks what do you think of this new model as shown on tv screen and chris harris trys to play cool is pathetic. can't believe he would watch that back and not be embarrassed by it.

Edited by kwhelan
  • Like 1

extra gear reminds me of something NZ would make. The new host asks the guests the most inane questions, he reminds me of guy williams but he's not actually trying to be funny. the segment when he asks what do you think of this new model as shown on tv screen and chris harris trys to play cool is pathetic. can't believe he would watch that back and not be embarrassed by it.

I agree, I'm annoyed Chris is wasting himself on that show. Primarily because he has to act and play cool to fit in with what the producers / directors want. Rather than being himself which is why he is so well liked.

Obviously the dollars were impossible to resist, which is fair enough.

After bagging the new series I have to admin episode 3 was very good,they seemed to have listened and obviously taken some of chris out of it. The cars were really interesting and the whole show was overall as good as the old guys could do. Its not perfect but if they can keep this up they will get there. having some good guests helped but just not having silly challenges but actual car reviews made it so much better.

Worth a watch

Edited by kwhelan

What this version is missing that the old had - chemistry.

Chemistry was the magic of Top Gear. Sadly no more.

Clarkson, Hammond and May have got it. Matt, Sabine and that shouty guy don't. And never will. Period. Even Extra Gear doesn't. IMHO. :D

Who is willing to admit that the reason they kept watching season after season the 'previous' version was not what cars they were reviewing, but what the 'boys' were going to get up to? I do B). That's the magic of chemistry... that was the magic of Top Gear.

My car show of choice is now Wheeler Dealers. Why? Cos Mike and Edd have chemistry ;)

• Like 1

I agree with you Greg it doesn't have chemistry... yet. I'm going to give it a chance. Top Gear US had no chemistry at all for most of the first season but by midway through season 2 that chemistry was locked and loaded.

i guess its like every time you start a new job you are a bit weird around your new work mates but you click sooner or later