Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

Mk5 golf gti?

Anyone know anything about the mk5 gti golf?

They are for sale for as little as 7.5k, thats for a 230hp 2005+ GTI! Ive heard that the dsg trannys can be a headache, as they are overcomplicated (same design as the trans used in Veyron) http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-850837684.htm

I ask as in about 6 months I will be looking for another car and want to see whats out there early! (Andys e34 is up there on the list!!!)

I have a MkV and am quite a fan, but I definitely wouldn't buy a cheap one.

• Like 1

Would stay away. The mechatronics in the dsg are a nightmare and bloody expensive. It was Volkswagens early attempts at the transmission and not a well refined one at that. The kms are definitely a major influence on the price

Going to bump this up again and see if there is any other feedback. Looking at a mk5 GTi with a 6 speed manual for a daily.

Buy NZ new with FSH and you should be OK with the manual. Most a Jap imports. VASK is worth checking out, you will learn they are much like BMW's in the way you get what you pay for and preventive maintenance is the defence between a good car and a bad car.

My only experience with one was as a traded in "courtesy car" from the Renault Dealership and it was not a nice car, the DSG kept going into limp mode and it was literally falling apart, this was a NZ new car with under 100,000km on it. was slow and dumb after what I am used too but would be an O.K daily driver.

On that note, the RS Megane is way better to drive, but a little stiff for a daily use for some, and you may get hooked on how well they drive like I did and go crazy and turn into a road warrior with a warped sense of social perception..

• Like 2

My friend just sold a real tidy mk6 gti 2010 for 20k only 49ks

it was not a nice car, the DSG kept going into limp mode and it was literally falling apart, this was a NZ new car with under 100,000km on it.

That sounds JUST like a car maintained by a normal kiwi owner.

• Like 2

TBH. I know a few people who had them as company cars (Coke) and they told me they are on a constant rotation with the dealership being fixed... they dealership's are generally very good though.

I think 99% of people do not look after cars properly. Hence they sell so many Toyota's, you can run them into the ground.

yeah but the non-GTI golf uses a different, 7 speed, prone to failure DSG box to the GTI.

I have a MK5 GTI with DSG. 161,000KM jap import. has service history, including DSG and runs like clockwork. There are some things to keep an eye on, like the HPFP cam follower and turbo diverter valve as they like to fail, but other than that if its fully serviced youre good to go.

Keep in mind with imports though that dealers are shifty c**ts and often wont do the cambelt and waterpump on the low KM ones.

This is mine. Highly specced, heated leather, auto everything, HID, Shadow Blue. Has some mods from japan. I love it.

DSC06681_zps0t3gob5m.jpg

DSC06684_zpsx3bvmvyb.jpg

• Like 2

very nice! cant say i like the taillights (looks like its copied from the newer model?) but still looks great regardless. the only thing i always disliked about mk5 golfs is the black bumper/side trims. why cant it be body coloured?

I just picked up a Mk5 wagon with the same engine and gearbox as a GTI, cant complain for the money.

DSG is smooth as in this one, its my 2nd DSG

yeah but the non-GTI golf uses a different, 7 speed, prone to failure DSG box to the GTI.

I have a MK5 GTI with DSG. 161,000KM jap import. has service history, including DSG and runs like clockwork. There are some things to keep an eye on, like the HPFP cam follower and turbo diverter valve as they like to fail, but other than that if its fully serviced youre good to go.

Good to know - my mate had a diesil golf that had a 15k repair bill on its DSG gearbox (work car thankfully). This one I'm looking at is an import and has a mechanical warranty which if I do buy it, I'll get it transferred over. Cambelt etc has apparently just been done but will check it all out in due course.

I'd just buy a Corolla if I wanted a beige eco box. Can't fathom buying a Golf which is essentially the same thing with some leather and a tonne of problems :P

Its not at all the same thing. Like saying a BMW 5 Series is essentially a Holden Commodore.

The Golf GTI is a fine car, nice to drive etc.

I think they are the consummate all rounder.

• Like 3

the golf GTI is a hell of a lot of fun to drive. its also built and drives better than any corolla.

very nice! cant say i like the taillights (looks like its copied from the newer model?) but still looks great regardless. the only thing i always disliked about mk5 golfs is the black bumper/side trims. why cant it be body coloured?

oh, the general consensus is that the tails look better in person than in photos. i didnt like them when i saw the photos but theyve grown on me a lot. also helps the car stand out in the sea of golfs with red, round tails.

The edition 30 and pirelli models, other than having more power and various other cosmetic differences, have body colored lower trim. Its an interesting choice being unpainted, makes the golf look a bit cheap really. I might color code when i can be bothered and have some spare cash.

Ahhh... that's you...

apparently you read too many forums too :lol:

oh, the general consensus is that the tails look better in person than in photos. i didnt like them when i saw the photos but theyve grown on me a lot. also helps the car stand out in the sea of golfs with red, round tails.

The edition 30 and pirelli models, other than having more power and various other cosmetic differences, have body colored lower trim. Its an interesting choice being unpainted, makes the golf look a bit cheap really. I might color code when i can be bothered and have some spare cash.

I still have a new spare Cam follower if you want one cheap

The edition 30 and Pirelli Models have a bigger turbo etc, in fact the same engine as the S3 of the same year, with a simple remap they make 220kw.

But that said, a simple remap will take yours to 188kw and 411nm of torque, having driven one with this done, I highly recommend it.

http://www.goapr.co.nz/products/ecu_upgrade_8golfgti.html

ah nuts, already have a cam follower on the way from the states. cheers though.

Yeah its easy to retune them. Will be looking to get a stage 2 revo tune done after i replace the intake and downpipe.

The edition 30 and Pirelli Models have a bigger turbo etc, in fact the same engine as the S3 of the same year, with a simple remap they make 220kw.

But that said, a simple remap will take yours to 188kw and 411nm of torque, having driven one with this done, I highly recommend it.

http://www.goapr.co.nz/products/ecu_upgrade_8golfgti.html

And an Edition 30 with a Remap = Mental. Drove one back in the day, went hard... but needed Perfohub and LSD, no chance of keeping with the best. All that power needs to be put down properly.

Qualitat's bread and butter. And the sauce for that pudding. RS4's.

Not surprising when there are so many around, and nz has such a great culture of looking after things properly.

• Like 1