Sign in to follow this  
Mark312

Mk5 golf gti?

I hear all the horror stories of VW ownership from a friend who works there.

VAG's brands must attract the owners who fail to maintain them correctly.

been out driving mine again tonight, runs like bloody clockwork. Love it.

Im a bimmer fan for way back, but damn these golfs are a lot of fun for the money.

• Like 1

Im a bimmer fan for way back, but damn these golfs are a lot of fun for the money.

Hmm think I've had as many VW's as BMW's

2x Mk2 Gti 8v, 2x Mk3 VR6, 1x Mk4 Gti, 1x Mk5 GTX (same engine as GTI)

Even the old Mk4 Gti is more fun than my E39 in all honesty, but its manual and seems to be at 18-20psi boost, which i assume is better than usual

They boost really hight.. then catch fire! haha

Mk4 has got to be the lamest GTI of them all IMHO, could have been much better with some red stripes and a 2.0T.

You can't say that. RWD is best. It has to be RWD, even an Automatic open diff luxo barge is better because its RWD. FWD's can not be fun because most people are drifters and prefer to initiate every corner... when I drive a RWD its sideways everywhere, even at traffic lights I just sit there and swig O's.

Also.

https://youtu.be/N2IWxqvsSY8

• Like 3

They boost really hight.. then catch fire! haha

Really? I can't find much on google about this happening, found more about E39's catching on fire found one video of a Golf on fire, but have you seen this happen first hand?

Even the old Mk4 Gti is more fun than my E39 in all honesty

Not surprised, two completely different style vehicles!

Really? I can't find much on google about this happening, found more about E39's catching on fire found one video of a Golf on fire, but have you seen this happen first hand?

Nope. Only a Passat with the same engine.

All cars like to burn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the cam follower on my GTI today. Cheap ($30 off ebay) and took me half an hour to do. Easy. Mine wasnt too worn but there are some horror stories out there.

DSC06741_zpsu52apuwc.jpg

Did the cam follower on my GTI today. Cheap ($30 off ebay) and took me half an hour to do. Easy. Mine wasnt too worn but there are some horror stories out there.

30 Minutes isn't bad... I've been contemplatinng it for a while on the Touran... just haven't got to it yet. I don't need the engine to last too long... but I'd like to be able to sell it after the conversion is done and recoup some $$$

If it's only 30 minutes, I'm going to have to give it a go soon. It does sound a bit like a diesel (euro, not a jap one!)... though I hear that's sorta normal at idle - but I worry it's the lifter poked too :wacko:. The Thermostat is a bit knackered too... But I can't be arsed doing that - especially since I brought the wrong replacement.

I've got one of the typical NZ New ones - Dealer serviced except for 1 oil change before I got it... and nothing on it is quite right! Just the minimum done to justify a dealer stamp in the book...

• Like 1

lol and people wonder why NZ New doesnt really mean a lot in terms of servicing. typical kiwis.

Yeah i was surprised how easy it was to do. Just need a 17mm spanner, 13mm spanner and a T30 torx bit. Apparently the older pumps had another pipe that requires a big triple square driver bit, but mine had the rubber hose.

The direct injection is bloody loud on the Golf, no rattles but lots of ticking/clattering at idle. Seems pretty normal from the ones ive looked at.

• Like 1

The misses bought the Audi version 2.0T,its done 130kms, NZ new with DSG. Runs a stage 2, big FMIC, intake, full exhaust no cats, coil overs, it goes well with about 16lb.

Lacks traction generally, so not a canyon carver really. Needs as usual a LSD. But all very stealthy...

224197.jpg

Hey Kelvinator ;) ... stalking you on another one now... saw your "pivot thing" for "earthing your raizins" :lol:

• Like 1