Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E46: M3 struts & springs into other models?

Simples. Will the E46 M3 springs and struts fit (our Touring)?

Working on the car earlier int he week revealed that there is a bit of a lean left to right, as viewed from the rear. Nothing disastrous, and quite possibly nothing that wouldn't be expected from a 400000km+++ car running on probably original springs and struts/shocks. (I've checked the comprehensive service history, but didn't see any mention of replacement bouncy bits.)

I know the M3 has much wider track courtesy of longer arms and suchlike, but I'm not after those parts. I'm also aware that the M3 strut tops are different to standard, and that using them in a non-M3 body results in some "interesting" positive camber! Swapping the strut tops side-to-side isn't an option, either - the negative camber becomes ridiculous.

So... Could I retain the stock strut tops and lower arms (etc), and fit the M3 springs and struts to lower and stiffen out Touring? I understand that the struts have a different top mount (as well as strut top) but I don't know the details.

I've read of someone using CSL struts and springs with 320d top mounts, but don't know if M3=CSL in the bouncy bits department.

OK... Scrap that.

Anyone know the difference in ride height between stock E46 suspension and M-spec?

OK... Scrap that.

Anyone know the difference in ride height between stock E46 suspension and M-spec?

I seem to recall it was 15 or 20mm???

I'm not good with E46, but on the E39, the springs and shocks are different (= more expensive) on the "M technic suspension" option.

You might find some new OEM shocks, and bushes might tighten it up a LOT (I went powerflex on the E39, and like it so much, I'm doing some of the Touran with them too!)

I've written off the idea of fitting M3 bouncy bits to a non-M3... As far as I can tell, it cold work, but it's too uncertain to take the chance.

The next best option, from my perspective and to ensure I don't buy old and knackered kit, is to look at something like the H&R Touring kit. The shocks on our E46 look fine and bounce correctly, so it is likely that the springs have become 'tired'. The economic option is to buy a set of the H&R springs which will give a 35/20mm front/rear drop in ride height. The stock shocks should be able to cope with that, and I'll change them later.

What I was hoping to find out is the 'look' this will give (I've not found found any pictures that help) and comparing to M-sport kit seemed an alternative place to start.

^ Damn. That's more expensive! Lol

This was something that had occurred to me but the seemingly correct bounce characteristics took my eye off the shocks.

It is a relatively recent slight 'settling' on one side, and after 440000km (most on the same NZ roads) replacing suspension probably isn't unreasonable.

I was also thinking about spring pads yesterday evening. Mercedes have a fairly wide range of these and I was wondering if BMW did the same. Thanks.