Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Alignment Specs for an E36

So I have finished installing the new springs and shocks in my E36 coupe and it is ready for an alignment.

Now reading a post in a US BWM site the OP said that up front he runs 0 Toe and between 2-3 degrees of negative camber. His rationale was that 0 toe helps with directional changes and is still stable at highway speeds. He also said that with 0 toe he gets much better tyre wear considering the camber he runs. He made quite a point about this stating camber plus + toe = wear, but camber with 0 toe = a lot less wear.

Out back he has 0.20 Toe (Not sure if this is degrees?) and 1.5 degrees camber. He said toe in on the rear was essential for straight line stability.

Now added to that I run M3 offset bushes to gain a little caster. Does anyone run alignment specs like this?

I am also tossing up on tyres but have considered a directional tyre so I can remount them if I choose to run higher camber levels and wear the insides. I couldn't do that with an asymmetrical tyre. As usual I am keen on peoples real world experiences here.

I used to run pretty much exactly that, 2.5 odd degrees camber and 0 toe at front. Great for the track and fanging it in the twisties. Absolutely bloody shocking for wear.

So if you're like I was and use the car for weekend blasts and track work, go for it.