Apex

Quick rant thread.

On 1/6/2017 at 1:08 PM, huff3r said:

When people ask a question on trademe offering substantially lower than the buy now, but, wait for it... "Cash".

What else do they think they can pay with?! Their McDonalds toy collection? I am a private seller, I don't do finance, therefore every sale is "Cash"!!!

Are you saying you don't have an eftpos machine at home? :P 

3 hours ago, Michael. said:

Are you saying you don't have an eftpos machine at home? :P 

Even if I did, EFTPOS is considered a "Cash" payment as it is not Credit or otherwise. Which only makes those who offer "cash" sound even more stupid. (Plus actual cash requires far more handling than eftpos or bank transfer anyway!)

• Like 1

So true though eh, I used to get it all the time on Trade Me.

Even worse when you try sell certain models of cars that attract those types of 'cash' buyers. 

• Like 2

Air New Zealand's US partner is United Airlines.

United is one of those airlines where you have to fight the urge to jump out the entire flight.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kopua Cowboy said:

95% of lawyers give the other 5% a bad name

What about giving love a bad name?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eliongater said:

What's love got to do, got to do with it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eliongater said:

Be nice to f**k a lawyer for a change instead of being on the receiving end...

• Like 1

On 6 January 2017 at 3:21 PM, M3AN said:

I occasionally offer bricks of hash or coke instead of cash, you need to pick your sellers though! ;)

i have an E30 here with your name on it

• Like 2

^ So that's why you travel the north island in a big van...

• Like 3

Frickin' PayPal...

I sent USD35 to a guy in the US. No problem - he received USD35.

Someone in Oz wants to pay me for something a little more valuable, and he gets stung AUD30 for currency conversion fees, and I get over NZD40 of fees deducted before the money gets to me.

I wouldn't be bothered if I was making anything out of the deal!

Any suggestions for a better way? International bank transfers are reliable in that money gets from account A to account B, but the vagaries of bank exchange rates and bank charges mean that you rarely have an exact idea of how much money will be received.

16 hours ago, gjm said:

Frickin' PayPal...

Graham, have you sent them an email? I once had sent over a grand for some goods and was stung for fees but got it refunded as I sent them a very angry email demanding an explanation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

Graham, have you sent them an email? I once had sent over a grand for some goods and was stung for fees but got it refunded as I sent them a very angry email demanding an explanation.

It's worth a go. :thumbs-up:

On 1/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, M3AN said:

I occasionally offer bricks of hash or coke instead of cash, you need to pick your sellers though! ;)

come on Mr Asia, you'll be fine.  Your horoscope may suggest you avoid quarries, though.

• Like 1

Bank charges in general...

One months interest on savings of thousands of dollars - $1,40 less tax, go a dollar overdrawn for six hours ovenight - $10 charge plus interest...

• Like 3

Mind you there is also my UK bank account... month's worth of interest in a SAVINGS account, with over a thousand pounds in it.... 1 penny. Yup, thats right, one whole penny.

I suppose I could move the money over to NZ to earn higher interest in an account here.... :blink:

Just now, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I suppose I could move the money over to NZ to earn higher interest in an account here.... :blink:

Only really worth it if you don't do anything in the UK anymore...

Hard choice to transfer at the amount with the uk pound dropping of late. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the problem, worth 3 tenths of sweet FA if I transfer it over now. I have found it makes more sense to transfer the money by spending it on car parts in the UK and then shipping them to NZ to use here, a much better exchange rate that way!!

Plus it's always very useful to have a few spare bank accounts around the world to tuck things away into. Will still need this account in the future when my pension(s) start paying out...

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Same, kept our UK bank account for same reason.

Finding old school mini parts cheap at the moment.?

Straight cut drop gears next on list !

• Like 1

On 14 February 2017 at 4:58 PM, gjm said:

Frickin' PayPal...

I sent USD35 to a guy in the US. No problem - he received USD35.

Someone in Oz wants to pay me for something a little more valuable, and he gets stung AUD30 for currency conversion fees, and I get over NZD40 of fees deducted before the money gets to me.

I wouldn't be bothered if I was making anything out of the deal!

Any suggestions for a better way? International bank transfers are reliable in that money gets from account A to account B, but the vagaries of bank exchange rates and bank charges mean that you rarely have an exact idea of how much money will be received.

Unless Paypal have recently changed their fees, doesn't cost the buyer anything to use the service, charge goes to the seller?

I have increasingly been getting customers wanting to pay by credit card instead of the rig moral dealing with their corporate finance system, so have been using Stripe since Xero launched it, i assume anyone can set up an account. used it a handful of times and seems to work fine, user interface could do with a bit of work but hey.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

48 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Unless Paypal have recently changed their fees, doesn't cost the buyer anything to use the service, charge goes to the seller?

I have increasingly been getting customers wanting to pay by credit card instead of the rig moral dealing with their corporate finance system, so have been using Stripe since Xero launched it, i assume anyone can set up an account. used it a handful of times and seems to work fine, user interface could do with a bit of work but hey.

Interesting... I'm not a business - can/does it work for private individuals?

Pay family or friend = you pay the fee

Pay for goods or services = receiver pays the fee

Been like that for years 

36 minutes ago, HaNs said:

Pay family or friend = you pay the fee

Pay for goods or services = receiver pays the fee

Been like that for years 

It's been quite a while since I used PayPal to receive a payment... And when both I (as recipient) and the sender got stung, I was a bit surprised.
Ho hum. Live and learn.