Apex

Quick rant thread.

The cost of the integrated transmission filter/pan BMW now uses... :blink:

When the coolant in the e46 decides to exit stage left :angry: (Yes I pulled over straight away)

And then AA roadside can't send someone because "they don't carry fluids" and then want to charge me $110 for a tow... So instead I got my Dad to tow me home with a tow rope.

Not impressed.

And I'm supposed to be taking the car in tomorrow morning for some new rubber

Edited by eliongater

On 6/19/2017 at 8:51 PM, NZ BMW said:

The cost of the integrated transmission filter/pan BMW now uses... :blink:

I bought a genuine ZF integrated filter and pan recently for ZF6HP26 for under USD120.  includes drain plug, magnets, gasket.... I didn't think that was expensive.

40 minutes ago, eliongater said:

When the coolant in the e46 decides to exit stage left :angry: (Yes I pulled over straight away)

And then AA roadside can't send someone because "they don't carry fluids" and then want to charge me $110 for a tow... So instead I got my Dad to tow me home with a tow rope.

Not impressed.

And I'm supposed to be taking the car in tomorrow morning for some new rubber

WTF?  I thought that AA came with a tow if the serviceman can't effect a repair on the side of the road.  Didn't you get AA Plus?? 

It does... there's just an extra charge if you need to be towed out of zone or some bs, which is based on where the towy is and not where you are.

I'm not sure, but I'm seriously questioning the value of AA. In the meantime though I've still got to find where the coolant went...

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
previous post quote

AA got my E30 back from Taupo no qurstions asked, a $750 tow. I have AA plus and it's definitely been worth it for me. Odd that they couldn't help you out!

They could, I just had to pay $110, which is more than my "regular" towy would have charged.

And it's looking like the expansion tank has made like a banana 

Yeah, that's the bit that's odd. I paid nothing for the $750 tow, and the car was at my house no more than an hour after I got home!

quoting previous post

pulling into a servo and all the pumps full . they waiting for their coffee fix.

17 hours ago, Olaf said:

I bought a genuine ZF integrated filter and pan recently for ZF6HP26 for under USD120.  includes drain plug, magnets, gasket.... I didn't think that was expensive.

I honestly don't know what my transmission is but everything I see online and what I paid is in the $400NZ range.

So by the time you add labour and proper fluid you're up to around a grand for the service. Still, guess it's good for a while now and I certainly noticed an improvement. Even with only 85k on the car. 

Edited by NZ BMW

That's right, look on the bright side!  Preventative maintenance for a grand, or a rebuild for $4-5k after it sh*ts itself (rebuild, cooler and hoses, fluids, parts, sundry items, labour).  

On 6/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, eliongater said:

They could, I just had to pay $110, which is more than my "regular" towy would have charged.

And it's looking like the expansion tank has made like a banana 

:cry:

1. 130 170
  2. 130 140
  3. 130
  4. 130
  5. 100 100 110 105
  6. 160 160

Unless I'm really bad a compression testing...

I guess the real test is fitting a new expansion tank and seeing how it runs.

Edited by eliongater

On 2017-6-24 at 3:14 PM, richard said:

pulling into a servo and all the pumps full . they waiting for their coffee fix.

Selling coffee at bp is the worst thing to happen ever. I dont give a fukk about coffee , but it grinds my gears when i wanna get gas and there is 2-3 attendants making coffee and no one to be seen serving the till for gas. Stand around waiting for kents to finish making coffee before theyll take my gas money.

• Like 2

Take your business else where surely their must be more than one petrol station in HAM town  that sells gas u want. OH let the manger know what your doing and he's loosing custom over a cup of beans sure that will makes his day. Plus tell your friend as well

Edited by allan

In road cars people hardwire relays to fuel pumps so they are switched on and off manually, so when the engine stalls or is just set to 'on' the fuel pump is still flowing. Potentially dangerous if a crash occurs and fuel is leaking pumping all over the place. 

Simple solution is an oil pressure sensing relay setup or tacho signal relay.

But oh no, apparently it's a cool mod to bypass any factory fuel pump control for a dangerous constant 12v setup.

• Like 2

Can we please have some decent fY%$% weather for a couple of days?

This morning was nice down this way, but instead of getting on with some car-related work which I'll have to do outside due to the garage being full, I chose to head north, planning to meet with some other BMW folk at Kyu's.

Not only did a broken toe (which I've been nursing this week) mean I stopped halfway, had a coffee, then drive home very carefully, but when I got back the morning, and the good weather, had gone. :angry:

I want to get the turbo on the 320d swapped. Don't want to be doing it in the rain.

• Like 1

Orrr  Graham you don't want me to play you a tune on my violin do you? :P:lol: . It's  July what do you expect or maybe  just maybe you could have a garage sale to  make room so you could work on the car in the garage. Or build another shed:wub:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, allan said:

Orrr  Graham you don't want me to play you a tune on my violin do you? :P:lol:

Yes.

Yes, I do.
I want an entire string orchestra! :P  :D 

There's two cars in bit in the garage. Project work... The E46 is running maintenance! (Or supposed to be, if it wasn't for the bloody weather!)

On 6/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, allan said:

Take your business else where surely their must be more than one petrol station in HAM town  that sells gas u want. OH let the manger know what your doing and he's loosing custom over a cup of beans sure that will makes his day. Plus tell your friend as well

the margin on coffee will far outweigh the margin on fuel.  fuel is what they sell to get you in the door, the high-margin stuff is what makes their profit.  the manager won't be too fussed if you weren't a coffee customer!

Why not flip it on its head then make it a coffee shop that sells petrol on the side after all kiwis love to drive and cars do need fuel as do humans need fluids ie coffee.As you say theirs more profit in selling coffee so why not open one. Or provide parking for the bean drinkers so those who wish to fill up can do so with out being inconvenienced. Really though its human nature consider your own needs first to hell with who you inconvenience in the process getting your morning fix.

huge overheads selling fuelYou dont have to by tonnes and tonnes of coffee in advance!

quote previous post

All they need to do is hire 1 or 2 more people to serve the fuel tills.

You don't need to go inside to pay for fuel. Use the BPME app ;)

Or go to Z if you don't need 98, and pay at the pump. 

9 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

You don't need to go inside to pay for fuel. Use the BPME app ;)

Or go to Z if you don't need 98, and pay at the pump. 

Funny how cellphones used to be banned on the forecourt. Now they encourage it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, polley said:

Funny how cellphones used to be banned on the forecourt. Now they encourage it.

Only inside the car though, shouldn't be any fumes there ;)