Apex

Quick rant thread.

Agree, agree, a million times agree.

I ditched Facebook months back, I retained messenger for convinience, and made a ghost profile for a couple of local buy/sell groups that benefitted me, but this account is without friends, photos or information about me.

facebook is nearing supercession I think, it may one day join the ranks of bebo, MySpace, MSN messenger, altavista, metacrawler, kiwi online, eBay New Zealand and everything else that died despite seeming indispensable to many people.

I totally agree with you Dan. Most of the facebro pages are crap

• Like 1

I got myself banned from most of em :D, facebook is definitely killing the forums of old, mostly due to the forum software getting out of date really quick. Bimmersports one is pretty slick in comparison to many.

9 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I got myself banned from most of em :D, facebook is definitely killing the forums of old, mostly due to the forum software getting out of date really quick. Bimmersports one is pretty slick in comparison to many.

Facebook wins out simply because of exposure. So many people use that and for so many purposes, one FB post gets you thousands of views, as compared to an enthusiast site like this, where you might get hundreds.

Forum software, the good ones, tend to be maintained quite well. What happens is forum admins tend to not update their forums very often, which is actually a big problem in software security circles. Wordpress is a classic. People run old Wordpress versions, have their website broken into, queue tears.

Driving through Manurewa as I was looking at some open homes. Come across a group of about 30 Maori and/or Islander kids on bikes taking up the road, some on the bike lane and some riding the median.

As I pass through, carefully, the little f**kers start hitting on the car (so I thought), then they pull a door open. Trying to steal stuff? Wish I side-swiped the f**kers right there, because I have zero faith in the police being helpful here.

Is this normal there? Must be scary as hell for people who aren't very capable of defending themselves. Made me pissed. 

Will be sure to lock doors next time and be ready to ram them. Makes me think it's not worth looking at places there, what kind of s**thole has that going on. 

• Like 1

Scammers. Maybe we need a minimum post limit before selling something to stop scammers?

• Like 3

There is one, but it doesn't appear to be automatic, so has to be enforced by Admin, which is a bit of a pain in the arse. If you have details of a particular scammer please pm them through.

• Like 1

I reported the thread, and I pm'd an admin.

I also strung the spammer along and got his full name, bank account number and reverse searched his phone number and address.

I just didn't want anyone to get scammed.

• Like 2

Was that the gearbox?? That's a real shame! Sucks, sorry to hear

• Like 1

Yes

I didn't pay him any money because I was suspicious from the start. Using a photo from someone elses ebay listing was the first red flag.

Not letting it be picked up and paid on delivery was another red flag, as was the constant pressure for money.

• Like 2

Yep, he seemed dodgy-as.  Not subtle.   Where was he based in the end? 

Auckland.

I reverse searched his physical address, so if anyone was scammed by him we know where the money is.

Also, hopefully it puts him off making another account and trying again.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

oh well.  hopefully he ends up on all the scammer's phone lists and now feilds hundreds of inconvenient calls from folks abroad convincing him he has a virus and to pay them money, or they want to buy his car and have it shipped abroad, or they have millions he canb collect from Nigeria.  Karma's a bitch that way.

32 minutes ago, zero said:

Yes

I didn't pay him any money because I was suspicious from the start. Using a photo from someone elses ebay listing was the first red flag.

Not letting it be picked up and paid on delivery was another red flag, as was the constant pressure for money.

No response from that seller with regard to any other items, either.

• Like 1

It was actually quite entertaining (in light of the fact we didn't get scammed, I'm assuming) how pissy he was getting that we weren't willing to play by his rules. I even tried to be nice lol 

• Like 1

Sounds like i've been sleeping on the job and missed something...

• Like 1

I live in Rewa, Only place the wife and I could afford (first) home. Its pretty funny sometimes, but in all honesty we have never had anything pinched/broken/tagged etc. Wifes car was broken into 3 times in central Auckland... Unfortunately the drop kicks are the most visible around these parts, but plenty of normal people around here too (and its increasing as the number of first home buyers get pushed south and the "winz renters" get pushed out). Got a house with a section big enough for the big dog (he may influence security..) and unobstructed views of the water out to the waitakeres, could never afford anything like it anywhere else in Auckland. 

23 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Driving through Manurewa as I was looking at some open homes. Come across a group of about 30 Maori and/or Islander kids on bikes taking up the road, some on the bike lane and some riding the median.

As I pass through, carefully, the little f**kers start hitting on the car (so I thought), then they pull a door open. Trying to steal stuff? Wish I side-swiped the f**kers right there, because I have zero faith in the police being helpful here.

Is this normal there? Must be scary as hell for people who aren't very capable of defending themselves. Made me pissed. 

Will be sure to lock doors next time and be ready to ram them. Makes me think it's not worth looking at places there, what kind of s**thole has that going on. 

• Like 6

On 8/7/2017 at 4:57 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Sounds like i've been sleeping on the job and missed something...

No I dealt with it.  Deleted his post.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 5:11 AM, Jacko said:

I live in Rewa, Only place the wife and I could afford (first) home. Its pretty funny sometimes, but in all honesty we have never had anything pinched/broken/tagged etc. Wifes car was broken into 3 times in central Auckland... Unfortunately the drop kicks are the most visible around these parts, but plenty of normal people around here too (and its increasing as the number of first home buyers get pushed south and the "winz renters" get pushed out). Got a house with a section big enough for the big dog (he may influence security..) and unobstructed views of the water out to the waitakeres, could never afford anything like it anywhere else in Auckland. 

My only issue with South Auckland is the Southern Motorway.  Unless you work out South you are going to spend much of your day travelling to and from your job.  And it is so hard to predict how much time each trip will take.

BMW's with Beige, Cream, White Interiors.

You have no idea how many E46's I struck off my list when I was looking for one over the last few weeks.
Great car, great specs, great mileage, great price, F'n BEIGE interior!

It dates the car badly IMO.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who hates cupholders/cupholder mods/cuperholder this/cupholder that.  Call me the cupholder grinch

Edited by musccoo
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, musccoo said:

Am I the only one who hates cupholders/cupholder mods/cuperholder this/ cupholder that.  Call me the cupholder grinch

I'm kinda with you there.  I hate the E46 cup holders.  Way to make the center console the ugliest outside of American cars.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, mynbmr said:

Also the Hamilton expressway by the new Cambridge extension is one lane,

and at night when we get back to Auckland the F#*@en motorway is closed

every night and we have to detour 

And now we will have 5 weeks of detour on top of the bombays as well at night, o joy live is getting better

29 minutes ago, mynbmr said:

And now we will have 5 weeks of detour on top of the bombays as well at night, o joy live is getting better

Next week? Looks like it might be 'just' the entire northbound SH1 from Bombay to Ramarama... I suppose they could have decided to both sides at the same time.

Prices.

Just seen a near mint E28 535iS 5-speed manual for sale (in the US). Seller is dropping his price from $5000 because it's not selling...
Dinan chip, LSD, near-new Bilstein shocks and H&R springs, new tyres...