Apex

Quick rant thread.

9 hours ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Sorry to hear, hope it works out ok in the end - or better than :)

Oh it will.  I did learn one important lesson.  NEVER work for the Government.  It feels like every department is full of people who failed at what the actually wanted to be.  Yet they still scramble over each other to get the next shitty role.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KwS said:

I hope your kid is OK and all that, but this is why we have ambulances. Just because you have a "situation" doesnt give you permission or the right to exceed the speed limit.

You are familiar with the 110kmh speed limit up here on certain roads, yes?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KwS said:

I hope your kid is OK and all that, but this is why we have ambulances. Just because you have a "situation" doesnt give you permission or the right to exceed the speed limit.

Kelvin

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

Kelvin

Mark

12 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

You are familiar with the 110kmh speed limit up here on certain roads, yes?

No, but my comment stands.

2 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I own a BMW. I'll do the f**k what I want?

Cmon man, its not an Audi :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Driftit said:

Oh it will.  I did learn one important lesson.  NEVER work for the Government.  It feels like every department is full of people who failed at what the actually wanted to be.  Yet they still scramble over each other to get the next shitty role.

can say most sales jobs are the same. May you get a far better position in the next. 

On 6/28/2018 at 10:21 PM, KwS said:

Ambulance take time, hours sometimes. If I needed to get someone I knew to the hospital urgently, I wouldn't care about the speed limit either. Anyone else's opinion on that wouldn't be a concern. 

I don't care much for slightly exceeding the limit though. Going 120 on a motorway doesn't instantly make you a terrible person. 
Obstructing traffic by needlessly sitting in the right line sure does though! There's a special section in hell for them :)

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

f**king solicitors (in the Uk, but this may be an accurate generalisation).

Selling mother-in-law's house following her passing away earlier this year. Have a keen buyer. House ckeared - a traumatic experience. Buyer has finance and is keen to move.

Solicitor notices there is a 3' high wall directly on the boundary, separating the two driveways. It's been there 26 years and is regarded as, and described as, a party wall meaning shared responsibility between the neighbours.

Buyers solicitor refuses to complete until they receive written documentation from the neighbour... Who is away until mid-August. Buyer is livid. We're livid. Solicitor is running up a bill with phone calls and letters.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Buyer is livid.

Is there provision for the buyer to withhold payment due to said solicitor behaving like a dick? Sounds like a fantastic make-work scheme!

34 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Is there provision for the buyer to withhold payment due to said solicitor behaving like a dick? Sounds like a fantastic make-work scheme!

'Make work' is exactly what this is. We've seen it before, with the sale of my grandfathers house.

Payment to the solicitor may be withheld but more worrying for us is the buyers desire to move quickly. We could lose our buyer.

Are you able to contact the keen buyer and come to an agreement between your selfs. Surely if both partys agree the legal side of this could be sorted with a trip to the local court house or such. Their has to be more than one way to skin this lawyer no doubt he will get paid one way or the other.?.

Edited by allan

10 minutes ago, allan said:

Are you able to contact the keen buyer and come to an agreement between your selfs. Surely if both partys agree the legal side of this could be sorted with a trip to the local court house or such. Their has to be more than one way to skin this lawyer no doubt he will get paid one way or the other.?.

I'd like to think so, but with the neighbour being uncontactable at present, it wouldn't get far.
the situation is very similar to that experienced by some buyers in rural NZ - boundaries exist, but are somewhat fluid. The issue in this case has arisen because the wall was built *on* the boundary, and not on one side or the other. the solicitor is being an overly judicious arse and demanding formal representation and agreement, and doing so in the name of making more money protecting their client.

In what weird parallel universe is it not the client that instructs the lawyer what to do and not do?

5 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

In what weird parallel universe is it not the client that instructs the lawyer what to do and not do?

I know.

Unfortunately we're 12000 miles and 12 hours shifted from them.

The lawyer maintains they are acting in the interests of their client. Their client may be happy to believe that, of course.

It's called covering your arse.. a very popular habit with legal beagles in the Uk. Should something arise with the wall down the line, if it has not been picked up during the sale then there is a slim chance of their being some comeback to the solicitor that did the work on the sale.

Unfortunately 80% of the solicitors working with house sales in the UK are complete muppets, it takes a long time to find a good one, and when you do keep their details!

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It's called covering your arse.. a very popular habit with legal beagles in the Uk. Should something arise with the wall down the line, if it has not been picked up during the sale then there is a slim chance of their being some comeback to the solicitor that did the work on the sale.

Unfortunately 80% of the solicitors working with house sales in the UK are complete muppets, it takes a long time to find a good one, and when you do keep their details!

Conveyancing in the UK is rarely done by solicitors. It is done by firms of solicitors, but it's legal clerks, aides and similar who do the work. (And they still charge solicitor-level fees for it.) This means no-one actually thinks - they just parrot the rules in the book.

I genuinely don't see the problem. It's a 50/50 wall. Half each. which means we can't even knock it down without the neighbour's agreement!

12 hours ago, gjm said:

Conveyancing in the UK is rarely done by solicitors. It is done by firms of solicitors, but it's legal clerks, aides and similar who do the work. (And they still charge solicitor-level fees for it.) This means no-one actually thinks - they just parrot the rules in the book.

must be something in the water up in that part of the world, I have a couple of them (fire engineers) on a site. can't or wont think outside of the box.

people don't seem to comprehend what "fully loaded" means, watched a you tube review of an i3, first paragraph "this car is fully loaded" one paragraph later "this is the base model with no range extender" can they not hear what they are saying? does it mean different things in different countries? Have i got it wrong? ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, richard said:

must be something in the water up in that part of the world, I have a couple of them (fire engineers) on a site. can't or wont think outside of the box.

It's not the water, it's the "Where there's blame there's a claim" mentality which means the first thing people go for is "compensation" and this puts everyone into the back-foot cover your arse mentality.

20 hours ago, gjm said:

Possibly true of the bigger firms, but in my experience those are the ones to avoid for the reason you state - get the monkey to do it and charge big $$$. The one we used quite a bit was a very small one man with a couple of support staff, knew his stuff and was on the ball. So many things manage to get "lost" in these big legal companies...

just a quick shout out to the muppet that did this to my M5, whoever and wherever you are, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits! ?

DSC_0470.thumb.JPG.22e3a0762202c4993ed1dfe9f6e56f4c.JPG

Same guy that worked on the Blue Touran ;-).

20 hours ago, aja540i said:

just a quick shout out to the muppet that did this to my M5, whoever and wherever you are, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits! ?

DSC_0470.thumb.JPG.22e3a0762202c4993ed1dfe9f6e56f4c.JPG

What's wrong with that shows the  New Zealand number eight wire fix it all has now moved to using plastic cable ties. Thats thinking outside the box for sure ?