Apex

Quick rant thread.

8 minutes ago, eliongater said:

@M3AN m parallels to vanilla e60 wheels with the wrong tyres on them...

Okay, accepted.

You are not allowed to swap out iconic BMW wheels for anything vanilla!

• Like 1

Norway doesn't have the same social or cultural structure as New Zealand and as a result doesn't have to solve the same types of problems. It's a seemingly comfortable but ultimately unreliable comparison. If you've spent any time there that's plain to see.

For example their poor and/or uneducated people don't beat up their own families like ours do.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

Norway doesn't have the same social or cultural structure as New Zealand and as a result doesn't have to solve the same types of problems. It's a seemingly comfortable but ultimately unreliable comparison. If you've spent any time there that's plain to see.

For example their poor and/or uneducated people don't beat up their own families like ours do.

I work with the Nordi's quite a bit.  Embassy chef is a mate of mine here.

The two Embassy's blend very well.

He was mentioning that Norway has a massive wealth fund that buys up property all over the world as investments.  It does very well.

He has also invited us over for Gatebil at some stage.

• Like 1

Diff oil... to somewhat misquote star wars, it's "irritating and it gets everywhere"

29 minutes ago, eliongater said:

Diff oil... to somewhat misquote star wars, it's "irritating and it gets everywhere"

And it smells. If you get it on your clothes, it doesn't come out.

Aka 'that nice LandRover-y smell.' ;)  :) 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, M3AN said:

I guess you could compare further, and ask a few more questions, 

does Norway have rampant entitlement culture that is too common in this country, largely fuelled by the media and vote grabbing politicians? 

Is personal responsibility a thing of the past in Norway, where anyone’s failings can be blamed on someone else? 

Is there a section of society/demographic of Norways population who have no regard for the law, no respect for the police and are repeatedly in/out of  the courts, bringing no gain or productivity to society? 

Does Norway have generational welfare breeders, living off the tax payers for decades? 

Does Norway place more value on the family unit? Do they value fathers more than we do here, where fatherhood is trivialised while solo mothers are paraded as something to be looked up to. 

Does Norway have rampant issues with mysoginistic drug dealing gangs, hooking vulnerable people and teenagers on meth, with the tax payer left to bear the costs of these huge spin on effects, while the media and politicians are too scared to do anything about. 

Edited by coop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gjm said:

And it smells. If you get it on your clothes, it doesn't come out.

Aka 'that nice LandRover-y smell.' ;)  :) 

I am a bit of an odd-ball here in that I love the smell of diff oil, for some strange reason. Maybe my sense of smell is completely buggered from working with diesel, heavy oils and chemicals for most of my adult life?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I am a bit of an odd-ball here in that I love the smell of diff oil, for some strange reason. Maybe my sense of smell is completely buggered from working with diesel, heavy oils and chemicals for most of my adult life?

I don't mind it, but I suspect we're in a minority.

Can't see Chanel bringing out 'Eau d'EP90' anytime soon!

• Haha 1

Fresh diff oil ain't too bad, but old used oil stinks, and that's usually what I get down my arm and into my armpit. 

I am pretty much a prisoner in my own apartment today.  George H W Bush funeral over the road at the National Cathedral.

All streets are blocked.  I had to prove I live where I do to get OUT of the area.  It is a media circus right in front of my building.  They are even in the garden.
The Faux News reporter is pretty hot though.

Shutting down Wisconsin Ave is pretty nuts though.  That is like shutting down Great North Road x 20.

WTF is it with people who are incompetent enough to 'forget' for months to sort rego on their cars, or at least put it on hold?

To be fair NZTA don't help... You may be surprised just how many people don't know 'rego on hold' is a thing, and of those that have heard of it, most have no idea how to sort it. And then, most who do know about it, appear to think it will cost money!

Let's straighten that out. Rego on hold is ***free***. Provided there is no lapsed back-rego due.
It takes moments to sort online, or in a Post Shop.

Hmm... Not sure if this is a rant about people who don't try to sort these things themselves, or NZTA who appear to not want people to know about it...

lol @ Graham, why does that even bother you?

I often forget to renew my rego for up to months... 

22 minutes ago, gjm said:

WTF is it with people who are incompetent enough to 'forget' for months to sort rego on their cars, or at least put it on hold?

To be fair NZTA don't help... You may be surprised just how many people don't know 'rego on hold' is a thing, and of those that have heard of it, most have no idea how to sort it. And then, most who do know about it, appear to think it will cost money!

Let's straighten that out. Rego on hold is ***free***. Provided there is no lapsed back-rego due.
It takes moments to sort online, or in a Post Shop.

Hmm... Not sure if this is a rant about people who don't try to sort these things themselves, or NZTA who appear to not want people to know about it...

they dont want people to know about it esp motorcyclists with multiple bikes

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

lol @ Graham, why does that even bother you?

I often forget to renew my rego for up to months... 

Had a couple of opportunities to acquire decent-ish cars which turned out to have lapsed rego... And then find that they'd had some sensible mods which strictly require cert. No rego and no cert makes it uneconomic.

• Like 1

To be fair NZ's rego system is awful and doesn't have a good reason to exist. No consideration for how much you actually use the car and unfair if someone owns a second vehicle they might use occasionally. 
It's only purpose is fee collection, which could have been part of fuel costs/road user charges instead. That would spare a bit of admin work, the threat of $200 fines and other associated hassles from millions of people's lives.

• Like 1

gopro 7 silver

hard to set up with updates every 4 days and it takes hrs if not days for the camera to update

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

To be fair NZ's rego system is awful and doesn't have a good reason to exist. No consideration for how much you actually use the car and unfair if someone owns a second vehicle they might use occasionally. 
It's only purpose is fee collection, which could have been part of fuel costs/road user charges instead. That would spare a bit of admin work, the threat of $200 fines and other associated hassles from millions of people's lives.

rego system.I recently sold the Pajero and following NZTA own process adised the buyer that he should fill out the change of ownership form and hand over the recepit to me when i gave him the car so i knew he had done so.This was about 9 am on a Saturday morning (email) When i went to get a new warrant about two hours later he was already listed as the "registered owner".Surely that should be triggered when i tel them i have sold it!

22 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

rego system.I recently sold the Pajero and following NZTA own process adised the buyer that he should fill out the change of ownership form and hand over the recepit to me when i gave him the car so i knew he had done so.This was about 9 am on a Saturday morning (email) When i went to get a new warrant about two hours later he was already listed as the "registered owner".Surely that should be triggered when i tel them i have sold it!

he can do it on-line, it's all pretty speedy!

41 minutes ago, Olaf said:

he can do it on-line, it's all pretty speedy!

yes less than 2 hrs later it was "his"

Pretty happy with my 80per year including parking. 

I also take my own responsibility for the safety of my vehicle by an emissions check only once every two years. 

If I crash due to the safety of my vehicle I'm liable. And will likely be sued.

No hand holding by the government. It can be both good and bad. 

I probably end up paying more through insurance to protect my liability than the fee system NZ has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Pretty happy with my 80per year including parking. 

I also take my own responsibility for the safety of my vehicle by an emissions check only once every two years. 

If I crash due to the safety of my vehicle I'm liable. And will likely be sued.

No hand holding by the government. It can be both good and bad. 

I probably end up paying more through insurance to protect my liability than the fee system NZ has. 

TBH I am glad for NZ's WOF system, most people can't be trusted with car safety, some will skimp to save money and others are just ignorant. Grew up in South Africa and you get all kinds of s**t on the roads. The liability and consequences don't stop people taking the risks in the first place.
It's not just cars, but trucks from companies skimping on maintenance to save money, and some have killed 20-30 people in a single crash from faulty brakes
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/fields-hill-accident-faulty-truck-should-not-have-been-on-the-road-20161123

Also I find it strange that they implement emissions testing but not safety testing over there, you'd think safety would be the first priority ?

3 hours ago, Matth5 said:

TBH I am glad for NZ's WOF system, most people can't be trusted with car safety, some will skimp to save money and others are just ignorant.

Also I find it strange that they implement emissions testing but not safety testing over there, you'd think safety would be the first priority ?

Errr, given our current disarray with WoF testing, I'm not certain your trust/confidence is somewhat misplaced!

Equally, I'm stunned that having returned from one of the most polluted cities in the world more than 20 years ago, where we had annual emissions testing, that NZ has shied away from this.  We badly need laws protecting emissions control systems, and ensuring vehicles used on the roads conform to emmissions standards. 

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

surprised they check the emissions on the gas guzzling V6/V8 fleet (that somehow the giant trucks that are everywhere are not included in the calculation for)