Apex

Quick rant thread.

Hang on a sec, did the seller not include the specification of the wheel in the listing?

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Hang on a sec, did the seller not include the specification of the wheel in the listing?

This. 

And the post above, is exactly why I removed my number from my listing when selling the BMW. So many stupid texts. 

10 hours ago, gjm said:

People who claim to have 'good' cars but who evidently cannot be bothered to do the most basic of research, like actually looking at the advert.

Guy selling Style 23s. One of the pics shows '7 1/2J x 17' stamped on the rim - first question asked is "Size and width?" I stopped reading (I don't want a set of 23s) but I suspect the next question would have been "Offset?" assuming the time-wasting question-setter actually knows about things like that.

Of course, the answer is et41. All genuine Style 23s are et41... As the simplest bit of investigation would reveal.

Selling stuff these days is more like a war of attrition than a chance to recoup some funds.

the flipside to this is that not all purchasers are experts/trainspotters/BMW Nerds, and a motivated seller will produce a listing that saves not only the lazy purchasers time, but their own as well!

Is it really so hard to list rims with clear photos and a clear text description?

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

the flipside to this is that not all purchasers are experts/trainspotters/BMW Nerds, and a motivated seller will produce a listing that saves not only the lazy purchasers time, but their own as well!

Is it really so hard to list rims with clear photos and a clear text description?

I don't recall if the rim spec was mentioned in the listing - it is a Style 23, how hard is it to find specs for someone genuinely interested? - but there were a series of very clear photos displaying all the info anyone could ever want.

It's simple sheer laziness that leads to questions like the one mentioned. Listing the detail in the text as well would probably help, but then you'd get the question "will these fit my xyz123?" (which would have the wrong stud pattern).

It's Sunday. May the good Lord protect us from f**kwits.

After my above rant about Trademe I no longer have to worry about these muppets messaging stupid questions to me.

I no longer use Trademe to sell items.  Yes it reduces the audience and in turn my chances of selling an item quickly.  But I am not in a hurry to sell anything.  Forums are just fine.  And usually the people are like minded.

As for Facebook market place.  The muppet questions you get on there are on another level.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gjm said:

I don't recall if the rim spec was mentioned in the listing - it is a Style 23, how hard is it to find specs for someone genuinely interested? - but there were a series of very clear photos displaying all the info anyone could ever want.

It's simple sheer laziness that leads to questions like the one mentioned. Listing the detail in the text as well would probably help, but then you'd get the question "will these fit my xyz123?" (which would have the wrong stud pattern).

It's Sunday. May the good Lord protect us from f**kwits.

Don’t enter sales. If you were to view people who wanted to spend money with you as lazy f**ckwits and treated them as such, you’d go hungry.  You want to make it easy for them to part with their cash.  This takes a little effort, and a measure of patience.  

If you want to sell on-line , whether it’s TradeMe, forums, or FB marketplace, you can’t assume people can see the detail in images.  They may be viewing in a hurry on a small phone with a broken screen, in bright light... whereas the words will net you the sale, no questions asked.  Some don’t really get your words initially, and need first the pictures and then the words to verify.  Some are only viewing your pictures and can’t see or don’t have time to read your words.

When you list something, you’re hanging out your For Sale slate... part of the territory is inviting in the oddball buyer, the browser, the tyre kicker, as well as your ideal buyer.   The better your advert - copy and images - the lower the noise.  You can help the oddballs self-select out, if it matters to you; you just need to tailor your listing.  It’s that simple.

”it’s all here, read the listing, look at the photos, don’t ask me stupid f#*king questions, ‘kay?”     Does that sound helpful and inviting, or grumpy and arrogant?

I find it amazing that folks list a car for sale with some pics and “e46 Ci, lows, serviced, leather, PM me offers”.  If the expectation is that I’m going to search rego on CarJam to find model details and VIN, figure out the mileage etc... they’re dead wrong.

cheers

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Don’t enter sales.

Abs'lutely no chance of that! ?

Some salesfolk are genuine, stand-up people. Many are not - they seem to have checked their souls and morals at the door and will do literally anything to gain a sale; customer service is a distant second to commission. 

16 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Some people are dumb as sh*t. I have my house advertised for rent. All the basic stuff is listed. Some person phones and proceeds to ask how many bedrooms there are (on the ad), how much the total upfront bond is (1 week rent in advance + 3 weeks bond, they couldn't do the maths on this) and the start date (on the ad).
This is why I hate having my number on ads, easier to ignore emails from idiots. 

I think there is a good reason for this.Not knowing you they dont actually know how to "open" the conversation,so they start by asking trivial questions,just like we talk to aquantances face to face re weather etc before the real conversation starts.They are sounding YOU out as much as you are trying to sound them out.

a good example of this is the converation we had re your touring...the first few qyuestions i asked were stuff i already knew the answers too.....

Edited by kiwi535

3 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

I think there is a good reason for this.Not knowing you they dont actually know how to "open" the conversation,so they start by asking trivial questions,just like we talk to aquantances face to face re weather etc before the real conversation starts.They are sounding YOU out as much as you are trying to sound them out.

They didn't ask anything else though. Was more like they just wanted the ad read to them. 

Second paragraph.. I wasn't selling any tourings... I think you're thinking of someone else there :)

Oh man speaking of Trademe stupidity, I have another great example.

Just got this question on my ad for a ladder - "How high is the ladder pls? Thanks"

This is the ad:

image.thumb.png.598baf6106aeaa414d33ae1b5b8147a5.png

Lol. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Oh man speaking of Trademe stupidity, I have another great example.

Just got this question on my ad for a ladder - "How high is the ladder pls? Thanks"

It's about 1/44527778th the circumference of Earth?

That should clear it up immensely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, gjm said:

Some salesfolk are genuine, stand-up people. Many are not - they seem to have checked their souls and morals at the door and will do literally anything to gain a sale; customer service is a distant second to commission. 

TT_TT I work in sales. and don't get a commission. and yes My soul was sucked away. but dealing with idiots for customers really makes one misanthropic and lose hair too. I wish I could get out, but this is all I have now. Be nice to your sales guys please :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

TT_TT I work in sales. and don't get a commission. and yes My soul was sucked away. but dealing with idiots for customers really makes one misanthropic and lose hair too. I wish I could get out, but this is all I have now. Be nice to your sales guys please :D 

We'll be nice to this ^ sales guy ! :D

• Like 1

Idiots driving in fog, with NO lights on. I'm not even asking for you to be lit up light a Christmas tree with every single bulb possible lit up, all I would like is just some small inkling of brightness so I can see your silver econobox coming for a little bit further than 20metres away from the intersection. Even a side light would be a start - or an interior light, I don't care, just something, please.

Luckily it's the school holidays at the moment, so there is much reduced traffic around in the mornings and as a result there was not the usual chaos caused by these dumbasses having an accident on a crowded road network. Did make it seem even weirder in the fog though, was like some post-apocalyptic dystopian future.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

was like some post-apocalyptic dystopian future.

Great discription of New Zealands roads at any time I would say. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Idiots driving in fog, with NO lights on. I'm not even asking for you to be lit up light a Christmas tree with every single bulb possible lit up, all I would like is just some small inkling of brightness so I can see your silver econobox coming for a little bit further than 20metres away from the intersection. Even a side light would be a start - or an interior light, I don't care, just something, please.

Luckily it's the school holidays at the moment, so there is much reduced traffic around in the mornings and as a result there was not the usual chaos caused by these dumbasses having an accident on a crowded road network. Did make it seem even weirder in the fog though, was like some post-apocalyptic dystopian future.

Yeah. For those familiar with Cambridge, I saw a highway patrol at the start of the 50kmh zone on Cambridge Rd one foggy morning (coming into Cambridge from Te Awamutu, common/easy spot for them to sit and catch people going over 50kmh).

I pulled over and asked him why he wasn't worried about people driving at open road speeds with no headlights on in heavy fog, and pointed out a couple of cars going past with no lights on.

He spun some bullshit about people speeding in urban areas. And people wonder why the standard of driving is f**ked in this country. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, coop said:

I pulled over and asked him why he wasn't worried about people driving at open road speeds with no headlights on in heavy fog, and pointed out a couple of cars going past with no lights on.

He spun some bullshit about people speeding in urban areas. And people wonder why the standard of driving is f**ked in this country. 

Too hard basket. Guidelines from 'management'. Unshakable belief that speeding is the work of the devil incarnate, and will lead to the extinction of humans as a species.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gjm said:

will lead to the extinction of humans as a species

the quicker the better I say. 

Flights cancelled due to "engineering requirements"

• Sad 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I’ll flip this one around on you: People driving with rear fog lights on when there is no fog so it’s difficult to see when they hit the brakes. 

• Like 4

Yup, agree, tends to be the day after it’s been foggy, forget to turn them off.

not sure if some other brands have only one switch to turn on fogs, so when they put the fronts onto look cool they also turn on rears?

41 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

I’ll flip this one around on you: People driving with rear fog lights on when there is no fog so it’s difficult to see when they hit the brakes. 

I got pulled over for some education from a cop for having my rear fogs on in the E30...tbh...I didn't know I had rear fog lights ? The irony was it actually was foggy, even the airport was closed ?

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yup, agree, tends to be the day after it’s been foggy, forget to turn them off.

not sure if some other brands have only one switch to turn on fogs, so when they put the fronts onto look cool they also turn on rears?

The Mercedes solution works best.

Sidelights, headlights and foglights are on one rotary/push-pull switch.

Turn one position right, sidelights on. And having turned the knob, you can pull out one position for front fogs, pull out further for rear fogs.
Turn to second position right and headlights come one. (Main beam is on a column stalk.)
You cannot turn the fogs on unless the sidelights or headlights are on.

When you stop, turn off side/headlights, and it turns off the fogs - the knob moves back to the 'fogs off' position.

And it makes a helluva beeping if you forget to turn the lights off.

So simple. So not used by other manufacturers.

both of my BMW have been similar.Fog lights would not go on unless at least park lights were on.E34 cant quite recall if the rear fogs were on a seperate switch or second position on the same switch,there was a seperate "warning" light for front AND rear fogs.

e36 fogs can also only be on with other lights, I'm pretty sure that's standard across most vehicles.

Actually fogs+mains in one switch isn't the best in my mind, it lends itself to confusion. Headlights on a rotary switch and a separate fog on/off switch that de/activates fronts and rears at the same time plus a dash light is perfect. You can't screw that up.

The e36 nearly gets this right but it has separate front/rear fog switches which is stupid, there should be only one, there's no circumstance where you need one without the other.

Edited by M3AN