Apex

Quick rant thread.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:53 PM, Jacko said:

Stupid tax rules are about all that has been achieved.

Payday filing stupidity has just resulted in me not paying myself, as it was best option. 

I've found payday filing okay.  The changeover was not well executed (change managed).  

My payroll remains monthly, I can pay whenever I like.  I must file within two business days of payroll (easy with a small payroll to use their online tool), and it includes two addition pieces of data:  employee start date (of course this is static), and the payroll date.  Only includes a third piece (end date) if it's employee's last pay.  The PAYE is then due 20th of next month.  Easy.

Calling IRD helpline netted me good - detailed - advice when I was in the middle of changing over from old system to new.  I was concerned I'd gotten out of sync when I elected to change to payday file ahead of the deadline.  Give them a call, they're very helpful.

16 hours ago, KwS said:

Ouch, bet that was an ugly fine. One thing I liked about the late model cars I rented overseas was that they could say the current speed limit in the nav or cluster. I believe waze can do this too, but who needs nav in nz? 

Actually as I have said before. Most people use Waze in the US as a crowd sourced info app. Bad traffic. Speed Traps. Couches and mattresses on the road (fitting for West Auckland). 

And yes it displays the speed limits. And an accurate gps speed of the vehicle. I run it just for the info. I wish more people did. 

• Like 1

New UCSR rankings out. E39 gets one more star than VE Comodore. E36 makes deathtrap status. X5s of all ages considered safe as. @Driftit's favourite car the Suzuki Swift picks up a mere 1 star all the way through to 2017, that'll be those real world results coming through then...  

On 9/6/2019 at 4:01 PM, M3AN said:

Speeding tickets...

Just got pinged for 104 in an 80 when I thought the limit was 100. F**k it, I pride myself on not speeding.

City-bound on the north-western motorway, all the electronic signs said 100 but I missed the physical sign that said 80 somewhere around St. Lukes (apparently, I rarely use that motorway). I did however slow down for the very next 80 sign but too late.

And for the first time in ~16 years I got pulled up on my (German) license plates. Cop wasn't a dick, didn't try to take them, gave me compliance instead of a fine but I'll only get away with that once.

Funny thing - he thought the 'D' was for 'Denmark', then the Netherlands ('D'utch) and only clicked to 'D'eutschland once I explained it to him. He thought it was a fitting plate.

He told me he pinged someone for 40km/h over just before... and losing your license is at 41km/h over (I thought it was 50!) so whoever that was was quite lucky I'd say.

Same as myself today, just got the letter.

92 in an 80 zone, so I thought I was a good boy playing it safe in a 100 zone coming back from Tauranga to Auckland.

Looks like I missed the sign for 80 ?

First ticket in 15 years.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

Actually as I have said before. Most people use Waze in the US as a crowd sourced info app. Bad traffic. Speed Traps. Couches and mattresses on the road (fitting for West Auckland). 

And yes it displays the speed limits. And an accurate gps speed of the vehicle. I run it just for the info. I wish more people did. 

yep.  not great for actual navigation (found myself more than a km away in the Hutt Valley when I trusted it to actually navigate for us), but very good for the speed limit/current speed (that my GPS also displays); most useful for that crowdsourced stuff that you mention, and for finding a better route across Auckland in Friday Afternoon Congestion traffic it's excellent.  It was funny to listen to Waze speaking with Siri's voice arguing with the Garmin voice, each telling us to take a different direction at the next intersection.

4 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

New UCSR rankings out. E39 gets one more star than VE Comodore. E36 makes deathtrap status. X5s of all ages considered safe as. @Driftit's favourite car the Suzuki Swift picks up a mere 1 star all the way through to 2017, that'll be those real world results coming through then...  

Makes sense given the Commodore was always a decade behind the 5 series. These days i wouldn't to have a decent crash in anything older than BMW E38\E39.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, Olaf said:

yep.  not great for actual navigation (found myself more than a km away in the Hutt Valley when I trusted it to actually navigate for us), but very good for the speed limit/current speed (that my GPS also displays); most useful for that crowdsourced stuff that you mention, and for finding a better route across Auckland in Friday Afternoon Congestion traffic it's excellent.  It was funny to listen to Waze speaking with Siri's voice arguing with the Garmin voice, each telling us to take a different direction at the next intersection.

I find the Wellington directions are all quite odd. Same for google maps. After a few runs in the wairarapa it seems to be learning the more efficient routes now. I leave it running even when I don't set a destination. 

On 9/8/2019 at 7:57 AM, Driftit said:

I find the Wellington directions are all quite odd. Same for google maps. After a few runs in the wairarapa it seems to be learning the more efficient routes now. I leave it running even when I don't set a destination. 

I've been running my updated Tom Tom in the UK and it is a complete waste of space. Takes you through every stupid rat run (most with speed humps) and even single track roads - and it's set for main road priority. It got thrown into the back of the car and squaked "in 500 yards..." as a last shot at getting me lost. I converted to Google maps with the in car screen (the rental is a Citroen C3) but it's just as bad.

Was told about Waze - what a star performer! M25 it shows congestion , cars on the side of the road, police etc. and has sensible alternative routes. I notice that the setting "avoid difficult junctions" is a default - perhaps this is how it gives sensible routes. Can't wait to try it back in NZ.

• Like 2

Downloading Waze now, let's see if it can get to and from work quicker than Google Maps.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:46 AM, M3AN said:

Downloading Waze now, let's see if it can get to and from work quicker than Google Maps.

Well Google Maps gets most of it's data from Waze and Google owns Waze.

$150 bucks for driving in a buslane with 10 mins remaining . Does Waze have bus lanes in it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, richard said:

$150 bucks for driving in a buslane with 10 mins remaining . Does Waze have bus lanes in it.

No. But will tell you if the entire road is a bus lane at certain times of the day. Rich you should be on that bus. It only costs $7 each way and goes nowhere near where you would want to be. When it arrives is also a complete surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Public transport is the future, don't you know. Also f**k what you plebs want, you need to be told by your betters in your district council what you want. And that is, empty cycle lanes and empty busses.

• Haha 1

Even better, your district councilors are just supporting whatever the coalition transport ministers deny they’ve ever instructed the mayor with doing.  And they’re denying they had conversations with councilors, or received direction from government.

Oh, and for good measure, screw the official information act you serfs, and while you’re at it here’s a double helping of my ten years of roading delays to keep your bellies full.  It’s cheaper than cake.

David Copperfield doesn’t have slight of hand like this.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Even better, your district councilors are just supporting whatever the coalition transport ministers deny they’ve ever instructed the mayor with doing.  And they’re denying they had conversations with councilors, or received direction from government.

Oh, and for good measure, screw the official information act you serfs, and while you’re at it here’s a double helping of my ten years of roading delays to keep your bellies full.  It’s cheaper than cake.

David Copperfield doesn’t have slight of hand like this.

Not all councillors are like that...
I know our Mayor has been having stand-up battles and arguments with folk from central transport agencies over their nonsensical "it's safer" bullshit.

• Like 1

you're lucky.  In Wellington we've been f#%ked.  Our Mayor is pushing political party politics ahead of the ratepayers, briefing councillors and then denying any such briefings happened.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12255888 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2019/08/julie-anne-genter-denies-claim-greens-used-leverage-over-let-s-get-wellington-moving.html 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/114795409/ombudsman-to-investigate-julie-anne-genters-refusal-to-release-letter-to-transport-minister-phil-twyford 

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/08/the_truth_emerges.html/comment-page-1 

Election time next month.
Vote for a new Mayor.

• Like 1

yes indeedy.  Hopefully the rest of the flock down here will realise there's something smelly in Welly, and it's time to clean house.  Still, they did vote in the last one twice ? so we can't expect too much.  

The hypocrisy of Jacinda claiming she is all about being caring and compassionate, while she covers up sexual assault to protect her political future.

All the while she claims to be the most open and transparent government ever.

He Trumped it!

Edited by M3AN
  • Haha 1

f**ken Novus. How are they so big and so sh*t at what they do.

Turned up, pulled trim apart, scratched bonnet, realised didnt bring the moulding to replace windscreen, and then put the trim back incorrectly so I have a inch gap at the base of the screen now. 

Thats just what I wanted! A cracked screen, a scratched bonnet, and a gap that'll let birds make a nest in. Fantastic job. 

• Sad 1

Does your insurance company not allow you to get a dealer to do the repair Chris?

31 minutes ago, Jacko said:

f**ken Novus. How are they so big and so sh*t at what they do.

Turned up, pulled trim apart, scratched bonnet, realised didnt bring the moulding to replace windscreen, and then put the trim back incorrectly so I have a inch gap at the base of the screen now. 

Thats just what I wanted! A cracked screen, a scratched bonnet, and a gap that'll let birds make a nest in. Fantastic job. 

I made this mistake once, first windscreen didnt allow or didnt have rain sensor. 

Novus pulled it out and did it again but appeared to install with black RTV and some shitty universal gasket that didnt fit so had them pull that out and put a genuine windscreen in. 

Lots of mess and lots of hassle, wont do that again.