Apex

Quick rant thread.

Get the sorted and replace it tomorrow.  No matter how unlikely due to current state etc, you'd never forgive yourself if the fruit of your loins was injured as a result.  Hopefully in-stock in Napier or Hastings? 

52 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Get the sorted and replace it tomorrow.  No matter how unlikely due to current state etc, you'd never forgive yourself if the fruit of your loins was injured as a result.  Hopefully in-stock in Napier or Hastings? 

I'm working tomorrow and Tuesday.... :(
I'll be calling around to find somewhere that has one, or can ship overnight (for delivery Christmas Eve!)

You can wrap it for her present.

Then tell her you'll help her fit it ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gjm said:

I'm working tomorrow and Tuesday.... :(
I'll be calling around to find somewhere that has one, or can ship overnight (for delivery Christmas Eve!)

Hawkes Bay BMW, surely?

22 hours ago, gjm said:

In the time honoured tradition of going wrong at just about the worst possible time, Miss M has come to visit us in our idyllic corner of NZ.

No - that's not the problem. :) We love to see her.

The problem is that her car has decided now is the time to need a new wheel bearing. Firmly grasp and wriggle the n/s/f front wheel, and you can feel and hear movement. I suppose we might get lucky and find some piece of suspension is slightly worn, but let's be realistic - what are the chances of that?

So, two days before Christmas, she needs a new wheel bearing. And she has to drive back to Hamilton on the 28th.

It's going to see a Very Nice Man who will hopefully be able to achieve what I haven't had time to do - diagnose what is wrong. Further thought and discussion (with the Very Nice Man) suggests it might not be a wheel bearing... That could just be my knee-jerk guess at the issue. Might be a tie rod. Or a mount. Or... Well, it is definitelysomething. And it needs sorting.

Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

Good idea. You'd likely hear a bearing before play.

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

Good idea. You'd likely hear a bearing before play.

The Very Nice Man has confirmed it is a bearing. No noise, even smooth noise, when the wheel is spun, but it is definitely there under load, especially on right hand turns (it's the left front bearing).

Described as not being as bad as it could be, and that it'd probably pass a WoF. ? Still, that's not good enough. It needs to be sorted.
Which leaves me in a bit of a muddle. Do I try to sort it myself, with (I suspect) insufficient tools to do the job properly (I've done a bit of research and there are pullers involved that I don't have), or do we accept 'she'll be a'right' a while longer and get it sorted after 6th January when the world starts turning again? Olaf makes an excellent point - I don't want to - won't - run a risk of Miss M having problems on the way home.

Edit: replacement part ordered. After discussion I'm getting 'more' than just the bearing - I've seen how the bearing is replaced and it looks like it could be a PITA.
So I'm getting the bearing and bearing housing. Should be a unbolt, bolt-up job. 

I hope.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Good outcome!  Sounds like it's not bad yet, then.  You didn't order the puller as well?

14 hours ago, Olaf said:

Good outcome!  Sounds like it's not bad yet, then.  You didn't order the puller as well?

Well, maybe...

NZ Couriers have noted on the tracking that 'the office is closed' (there are people here - I was here!) and invite me to contact my local branch. Phoning the local branch goes through to an after hours message... Office is open from 7am through to whatever time.
The local drop-off point (Caltex) tell me that service has been terrible lately...

Edit: I take it back.

IMG_20191224_094937.thumb.jpg.4a4238a9d66d793eba04adaad21ea27d.jpg

This has to be easier to fit than just a new bearing!
That said, anything I should be watching out for...? Not done one of these. On a BMW. Yet.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Fronts are easy Graham, especially if you're starting with a new hub/bearing assembly.

Remove wheel, remove caliper, remove rotor, pull hub, anti-seize the bearing interface on the spindle, wack on new hub (rubber mallet), replace rotor, replace caliper, replace wheel, drink beer.

The hardest part will probably be getting the old hub off, it could range from easy through to PITA so be prepared for either or anywhere in between. In the worst case the bearing will separate and leave the inner race stuck on the spindle. The easiest way to get it off in that case is probably with a Dremel.

Edited by M3AN
spelling
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Fronts are easy Graham, especially if you're starting with a new hub/bearing assembly.

Yippee! :D

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Remove wheel, remove caliper, remove rotor, pull hub, anti-seize the bearing interface on the spindle, wack on new hub (rubber mallet), replace rotor, replace caliper, replace wheel, drink beer.

The hardest part will probably be getting the old hub off, it could range from east through to PITA so be prepared for either or anywhere in between. In the worst case the bearing will separate and leave the inner race stuck on the spindle. The easiest way to get it off in that case is probably with a Dremel.

It's about time my slidehammer got some use... ;) 

Now I just need the weather to play nice, and stop raining.

Be aware Graham, when you put the new hub onto the spindle, do not hit the hub. The outer bearing inner race can come out..... end of bearing assembly. Find a large socket that goes over the spindle and matches the inner race and make sure when you hit it on it is square to the spindle.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More rant.

46mm socket needed, and my collection/accumulation of sockets goes as far as a 41mm. Boxing day. Engineers Merchants all closed 'til the 6th.

What's the chances of Repco a. being open (OK - 9-5.30 today) and b. having what I need?

absolutely.  REPCO in Napier have usually had what I need, when I needed it.  Yes they're pricey, in some respects.  But they're open every time nobody else is, and that's worth something.  Hopefully it works out for you.

There is not a 46mm socket, on its own, in the country. And if there was it'd be $45+. ?

So I bought a 21-piece 3/4" drive set for $129. 

New tools. Happy Christmas to me. ??

• Like 1

result!

Nice @gjm, a 3/4" set is a must-have IMHO although I'm amazed you found one with a 46mm socket in it!

Went to the Whanganui Cemetery circuit race on Boxing Day. It was great.

However all the wankers on their lame Harley style bikes riding like utter f**k wits ruined the trip there and back. And the cops did nothing. Because they were most likely gang members whom wouldn't stop anyway. 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Went to the Whanganui Cemetery circuit race on Boxing Day. It was great.

However all the wankers on their lame Harley style bikes riding like utter f**k wits ruined the trip there and back. And the cops did nothing. Because they were most likely gang members whom wouldn't stop anyway. 

A few years ago a mate and I went to an all bike day at meremere organised by a bike club. 
It was pretty much an all Harley day, full of small cock syndrome insecure Harley riders walking around with an attitude as if they were ready to king hit someone. 

Perhaps they were butt hurt that of the few jap bikes there, an R6 was quicker than the fastest Harley. 
I ran a 10.7 on my Duc, my mate ran a 10.6 on his ZX10, the R6 was high 11s and from memory the quickest Harley was low 12s. 

27 minutes ago, coop said:

... from memory the quickest Harley was low 12s. 

Not bad for a Harley.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, coop said:

A few years ago a mate and I went to an all bike day at meremere organised by a bike club. 
It was pretty much an all Harley day, full of small cock syndrome insecure Harley riders walking around with an attitude as if they were ready to king hit someone. 

Perhaps they were butt hurt that of the few jap bikes there, an R6 was quicker than the fastest Harley. 
I ran a 10.7 on my Duc, my mate ran a 10.6 on his ZX10, the R6 was high 11s and from memory the quickest Harley was low 12s. 

It's bloody annoying that these type of people turn up to Bike Racing which is all Jap/Euro bikes and proceed to act like superior assholes.

Can't stand their frilly tassel man bags or their sh*t attitudes.  And sadly the majority of people I have met whom ride these bikes all act the same way.

31 minutes ago, Driftit said:

It's bloody annoying that these type of people turn up to Bike Racing which is all Jap/Euro bikes and proceed to act like superior assholes.

Can't stand their frilly tassel man bags or their sh*t attitudes.  And sadly the majority of people I have met whom ride these bikes all act the same way.

Harleys are not made for racing. They are made from cruising the interstate in your American flag bandanna (no helmet) with your “old lady” on the back. All because “it’s my goddamn right, man” on the way to your dive bar to drink a Budweiser.  

On 12/29/2019 at 2:42 PM, gjm said:

Not bad for a Harley.

Hah. It was one of those dohc Porsche developed powered one. 
a quick google search says they are good for a flat 12. 

39 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Yeah, the typical Harley rider has put me off ever owning one. 

Not that I can see the point. I also have a 2018 Ducati Multistrada 1200S and along with the half of the BMW range, the KTM 1290 Adventure, Honda ST1300 etc, you’d struggle to find better all round bikes, especially suited to NZ roads/conditions or even eating up miles down the yank interstates at 80-100mph all day. 
You could do 1200 km around NZ in one day on any of them and want to get back on and do it all again. 
Good luck doing the same on a Harley. It would be like choosing to do a lap of the north island in a new M5 or an HQ Holden 202 with no exhaust and a lot of chrome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Harleys are the iphones of the bike world. 

Edited by zero