Apex

Quick rant thread.

Funny I live in Upper Hutt and that's Bogan Harley territory. I have a 1150GS and I have no black Leather. They all look at me like I am an alien or something. Sorry but I like my twin cylinder motors to BOX!

• Like 1

My father in law loves showing up to bike events on his RD350 and RD400.  That 2 stroke rasp is a real head turner.

Sadly a few weeks ago a lady in an oversized SUV took a racing line into her driveway.  Moved to the center line to take and unnecessary wide line into her drive way.  Didn't indicate.  FIL thought she was going right.  Locked up and went into the side of her car.  Freshly restored...

DSC_1088.JPG

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

In the "What did you do..." thread I mentioned Mrs Ms Baur failed the WoF. Fair enough - it happens.

Reasons for fail - one front wheel bearing, wiper blades worn, and seat belts faded.

Seat belts. Faded only.... WoF manual says faded and one (or more) of several other things, none of which are even the tiniest bit evident. The guy who does rewebbing said the fail was an especially harsh call, made purely on the basis of discolouration and not related to any indication of wear or lack of integrity.

Wiper blades - it's been dry lately. Cleaned the screen and blades - they're fine. (Yes - should have done this before going for the WoF.)

Wheel bearing. I left the fail sheet at work so couldn't clearly recall which was the problem. That's important, as having stripped both I find they are identical. Identically worn, or identically not worn. They both spin smoothly with no rattling, hum, groaning, grating or any signs of wear. (There could be something under load which I'm not hearing/seeing.) Grease looks clean. Spinning the bare hub on the spindle (nut in place) both will rotate for two full turns after I let go.
Based on this, either they both need doing, or neither of them. At $200 each.

I'm probably being unfair, but Mrs M commented that maybe they saw a woman with an older car...? The guy I spoke to did look a little uncomfortable when I was discussing the issues raised.
We'll sort it. But we won't be going there again.

Was a month ago now but a weeping $7 mechatronic connector O-ring required my whole DCT box to be removed in order to get to it....i guess the plus side is the gearbox got fully serviced once again so is very healthy. 

• Sad 1

Silly old fools, who should know better, having accidents at the beach!

Yes I was that fool, slipped and cut my foot open on a rock. After a bit of a panic due to the amount of blood coming out, made it to the medical centre and had six stitches put in the cut.

No driving a manual for a few weeks..

4DB996CA-F65E-4CD9-8D5D-00FED9674A7B.jpeg

• Like 2

No, luckily they only had to go halfway up the shin to clear the dressing.

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

No, luckily they only had to go halfway up the shin to clear the dressing.

Was it a Eastern Suburbs beach?  If so I'm sorry to say you will probably lose that leg.

• Haha 1

Was down in the Hawke’s Bay, so less chance of pollution / infection I hope.

19 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Was down in the Hawke’s Bay, so less chance of pollution / infection I hope.

You'll be sweet then, they'll only need to take the foot. ?

• Like 1

Hey Jon @E30 325i Rag-Top hope you heal well, and soon.  And get back into the shed onto your racecar!

• Thanks 1

Hahah other comments a bit harsh? a good wash cut and some polish should fix that.  sit back relax have a beer take all the love and attention you get with open arms take care and heal well.

• Like 1

Being such a silly way of hurting myself I was expecting a bit of ribbing on this one, thanks. The hard part is the frustration of not being able to do things like work on the racecar, even though I probably wouldn't be if I could (if that makes sense).

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:52 PM, M3AN said:

You'll be sweet then, they'll only need to take the foot. ?

Now on the anti-biotics just in case there is any infection, so fingers crossed it will only be the foot and not anything else.

Creaking polyeurethane sway bar bushings, eibach flavour with the cloth impregnated surface. Got about 2 months out of the eibach grease before started creaking, replaced it with superpro silicon based stuff, wihich lasted about a year before creaking again, so I went to copper based anti-seize,... creaking again 6 weeks later.

Is there any grease that actually works for these things? I have no issues with the rest of the polybushes in the car, which are just straight Superpro PU, but these eibach ones for the swaybars are a pain in the ass.

I've not had a problem with the Eibach poly bushes and supplied grease on my M3 sway bars, three years now and counting I think. Are you taking all of the preload out of the bars before you tighten the bush mountings? Both wheels on the same axle need to be at ride height when you tighten them up... you really need ramps or a drive on lift.

Anyway, the answer to your question is heavy duty marine grease. ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I've not had a problem with the Eibach poly bushes and supplied grease on my M3 sway bars, three years now and counting I think. Are you taking all of the preload out of the bars before you tighten the bush mountings? Both wheels on the same axle need to be at ride height when you tighten them up... you really need ramps or a drive on lift.

Anyway, the answer to your question is heavy duty marine grease. ?

Your bushes red with the cloth inner surface? yeah I do it on ramps, not that big a deal with the sway bars as they can rotate even when tight, so no preloading. 

My front swaybar is 28mm, wonder if E93 M3 bushes will fit. 

Edited by Jacko

Red, I don't recall a cloth surface though and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't forget that. They came with the bars.

Ha, I faffed around getting the 328 up and level before I did the swaybar, duh.

M3 bushings, have you seen this, might help? https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=109115

Edited by M3AN

Emailed birds, who recommended using BMW brake lube, handily enough I have a bunch :)

What's BMW "brake Lube"? A fancy name for expensive copper grease? ?

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

What's BMW "brake Lube"? A fancy name for expensive copper grease? ?

Nah its silicony anti rattle stuff. 

And that is why we have a cert system... Looking at the nuts still chilling in the holes for the spacers, i'd say there wasn't sufficient thread engagement to the hub.

Although, i am also curious about the two rusty studs that still appear to be attached. Long since broken off, and relying on the other 4 studs?

Edited by KwS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Found this beauty in the roadside paddock. Bet that woke them up when it exited stage left...

Any sign of the rest of the ute / 4x4..?

You've got it, Kelvin- the studs are heavily corroded at the break and the other holes are out of round, indicating plenty of oportunity for someone to notice something before it happened. Jon, no sign of a vehicle or any debris... Or I'd have painted them a C&B on the windscreen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:13 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Now on the anti-biotics just in case there is any infection, so fingers crossed it will only be the foot and not anything else.

That's e30 race-series dedication for ya, if a little extreme in terms of committment to racing weight loss!