Apex

Quick rant thread.

The hardest part about home ownership is the saving of the initial deposit, having to pay rent AND save for it is very hard. once you are in, it is cheaper than renting if you put it over 30 years, or better is to put it over 10 years and pay down same amount you were paying in rent and saving.

We all know the baby boomers had it good. thats the past, can't go back there. so anything relating to that is moot.

However what is still relevant: its very easy to whinge and complain about why one can't get something. These people won't buy their first home until they are in their 40s, then put it over 30 years and still be paying a mortgage on the pension. Not my idea of a life.

My opinion is the best time to save for a house deposit is when you finish high school, still live at home (no or little rent to pay) and work full time. Unfortunately, currently the education system is setup that Uni is the only way forward after leaving school. this sets people up for failure, and you know that yourself, everyone has read the most successful people in monetary terms never went to uni. sure, you can go to uni and come out the other side with a 6 figure job, reality is in most industries you don't get those jobs until you are in your 30s at least (see buying a home at 40 above)

Do you really need that flash car, the sky TV connection and the holiday to the islands every year?

Nice things to have, but being mortgage free in your mid 30s is much better.

I first ran in to Robert Kiyosaki's ideas in 1993 when he was on Radio Active in Wellington touting his book "If you want to be rich and happy, don't go to school". Which was basically "forget the US university treadmill financial con, and here's some ideas for financial independence".

I'm not sure I understand?

All I meant was that a house that costs you 300k elsewhere might cost you 600k in Auckland.

If I can save up for and service a 300k mortgage on a modest single income, what is stopping a couple on 2 modest incomes doing the same on a 600k mortgage?

If I can save up for and service a 300k mortgage on a modest single income, what is stopping a couple on 2 modest incomes doing the same on a 600k mortgage?

All situations are different?

I think the lenders use a number of factors in their calculations. It all looks rosey until one of the couple goes off the pill, puts on weight, stops work and spits out a bairn. Then "hello single income" oddly tempers the shock and mystic awe of parenthood ^_^ with the deights of "breadwinner servicing over-extended mortgage". :unsure:

Good on you for acquiring property, Gaz. Can't argue with your logic, continue on the road less-travelled!

Trade Me people that want shipping charges refunded for certain reasons. Like stuff off you cheap sod!

• Like 2

New car prices.

I've never bought a new car and probably won't be about to start now.

Mrs M is experiencing some difficulties getting in and out of a 'normal' car, so a small SUV or similar might be in order.

Details of the "new" Jeep Renegade popped up and while it wasn't the first thing that sprang to mind, it looked interesting enough (Fiat platform and all) to warrant a quick look.
They are new to NZ, but were released in the US in a number of guises, last year.

Price: in the US, "from" $18000 (US). In NZ, the only model anyone will talk about is the Trailhawk (the most expensive model in the range), "from" $50000 (NZ). Well, US$18k is about NZ$26k. And you can't even speak to someone who might be able to arrange a test drive.

(Prices are MSRP, and don't include ORC.)

Oh well. It was just an idea. I'm not sure I can be bothered to be upset about this. The flip side is, of course, that I could well have been wasting someone's time had the model we might have been interested in been available! :ph34r:

Finally get E30 on the road and go to my goto WoF guy, didn't realise i have aftermarket concentric(?) bushes up front, he won't pass them.

It needs certing anyway for adjustable shocks, motor swap, manual conversion etc... but I'm getting over the endless list of sh*t this car needs...

Thinking about throwing the towel in and either getting a better quality of E30 that's already had the work i want finished or just a 335 wagon... or brents E34 544iT... or i just don't know, i want all the cars.

• Like 3

Weddings. Why the sh*t would you hold your Wedding on New Years eve. Now I have to fly back to NZ for Xmas and New Years of which I had planned an epic trip around NYC and Chicago.

I expect it will cost me around 8k to get there and back.

Mrs best friend trapped us by making her a bridesmaid.

Oh and it's in Napier. I really don't like Napier. Boring.

• Like 2

"I'm really sorry, we're not able to make it".

We live in DC, it's not the middle of the summer holidays; it's just a short break around xmas.

Edited by Olaf

"I'm really sorry, we're not able to make it".

We live in DC, it's not the middle of the summer holidays; it's just a short break around xmas.

I wish.

Weddings. Why the sh*t would you hold your Wedding on New Years eve. Now I have to fly back to NZ for Xmas and New Years of which I had planned an epic trip around NYC and Chicago.

I expect it will cost me around 8k to get there and back.

Mrs best friend trapped us by making her a bridesmaid.

Oh and it's in Napier. I really don't like Napier. Boring.

Just got back from one in Brisbane, stag do on a Sunday, wedding on a Wednesday. Da fuq?? Obviously worked for them anyways.

Aussie strippers got nothing on nz strippers when it comes to embarrassing the stag, they kinda seemed like they didn't know what to do.

Still, good fun though.

the Aussie strippers will know where those koiwees have been mate, and won't go near them. they acheive this by kinda not knowing what to do. sounds like it worked worked out just as they planned.

Either that or they simply didn't understand foreigners.

Muppet car dealers who have no idea how to deal with online sales enquiries - especially those that simply don't respond.

I'm going to develop a training course for them and help them make all the money (whilst making a bit for myself too of course). And yes, I'm serious - that's what I do for a living... and probably why it frustrates me so bluddy much!!!

Muppet car dealers who have no idea how to deal with online sales enquiries - especially those that simply don't respond.

I'm going to develop a training course for them and help them make all the money (whilst making a bit for myself too of course). And yes, I'm serious - that's what I do for a living... and probably why it frustrates me so bluddy much!!!

Can you branch this out to tradespersons, or just basically anyone in NZ with a web enquiry form on their website? I've stopped using them now and just ring, even though e-mail is far more convenient, as my success rate with web forms and getting a response is about 5%

• Like 2

the Aussie strippers will know where those koiwees have been mate, and won't go near them. they acheive this by kinda not knowing what to do. sounds like it worked worked out just as they planned.

Either that or they simply didn't understand foreigners.

Mate I had my best aussie accent on, I learnt it all from Trent, there is no way they could of known.

A dingo ate my baby!

• Like 2

^ You can take the man out of hamilton but you can't take the chlamydia out of the man?

:P

• Like 1

^ You can take the man out of hamilton but you can't take the chlamydia out of the man?

:P

Mate, tauranga is chlamydia central now, either way I spend most my time in both Hamilton and tauranga just to be sure.

• Like 1

Let me see if I've got this right.

1. Taxi industry over-regulated

2. Industry de-regulated

3. Mayhem ensues - passengers at danger from dodgy drivers

4. Better regulation introduced - passengers safer

5. Cameras introduced for the safety of Taxi drivers

6. Uber arrives - better, safer, more convenient service for the modern age, at a lower price. Customers still safe - drivers need Taxi license.

7. Dinosaur taxi model continues - drivers up in arms as they can't compete with Uber

8. Today: Government answer to the Taxi companies whining: relax the rules.

I use Uber, and rarely use Taxis these days as the service is normally pretty sh*t, and pricey with it.

Relaxing the rules in an industry that has rules as a result of poor performance may be a way of accelerating it's demise.

• Like 1

I use Uber wherever I go. DC is great for Uber. Cheap and the cars are new and drivers really strive for quality of ride. I marked a guy as a 3/5 for not listening to the way I wanted to go and Uber support were straight onto it trying to refund me for any inconvenience. Sort of expect that for a 1 star.

NYC was great for Uber too. We got Uber Black cars everywhere to fit in 5 of us. Escalades, Suburbans and all the other junk/flash yank tanks. But comfy and so cheap.

Don't forget you can split your rides with Uber too. Not pissing around with cash or multiple cards. Just get out and walk away.

Edited by driftit

Yeah uber is mean. Be good when it's more wide spread through nz

been using uber a lot when going out for drinks etc. very happy overall and really have nothing bad to say about it.

they were very helpful when emailed for support for various little things - i had a discount coupon code for my first ride that didnt get automatically deducted so they sorted that out. another time a driver took a weird route and i didnt realise at the time as I was half sleeping and didnt care but realised in the email that i got the next day so they sorted that out by providing a partial refund.

they have apparently just reduced the price by a further 20% so its getting really good! drivers are all quite friendly and have lots of positive things to say about it too which is nice to hear

Uber is pretty simple really; if an individual driver provides poor service or is dodgy, he/she will generate poor ratings. Enough poor ratings and if you get assigned that driver you'll decline in the app, and get another based on poor rating. Business fizzles out. Simple, really.

The contrast between Uber drivers (generally) and your average Cabbie is significant.

And as the Uber driver notes, I only pay when I'm earning. With a Taxi, he's paying the company whether he's working or not.

If you're too bloody scared to drive your shitbox at more than 70km/h don't drive it down the middle of the motorway.

In fact, don't take it anywhere near the bloody motorway, for safety's sake, especially your safety.

On second thoughts if you are that useless at driving dont go near a car at all. It's not just tourists that need to have their keys taken away!!

• Like 3

Bloody houses. Not house prices...

Found a house we like. Been on the market for 11 months. Over-priced at the admission of the sellers - they've nowhere to move to, so thought they'd see what the market had to say and if it sold, they'd take time off and find a rental.

Went to look on Thursday evening. Not perfect, but that wasn't expected. Nice bit of land, nice outlook, nice neighbourhood, good community.

Spend the weekend doing due diligence.

Call on Monday and... They'd just received a full asking price offer. (Seriously - not a seller put-on.)

11 fu^%%* months, we look, and that happens!

Wouldn't mind quite so much but it is the 5th or 6th time this situation has come up in 9 months. The first place we looked at had been on the market for 18 months, we looked at it, and the very next day an agent approached the owner saying they had a buyer.

<sigh>

Good job we don't need to move.

In the meantime, I think I'll advertise our services to anyone who is having problems selling.

• Like 6

BMW needs cooling system redone as has coolant leaks. (as of last weekend)
No sweat, I'll do that this weekend and use my daily.

Daily crapped out yesterday.

F&*$#&*&*$*#$#@*

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 3