Apex

Quick rant thread.

1,363 posts in this topic

Same, kept our UK bank account for same reason.

Finding old school mini parts cheap at the moment.ūüėÄ

Straight cut drop gears next on list !

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14 February 2017 at 4:58 PM, gjm said:

Frickin' PayPal...

I sent USD35 to a guy in the US. No problem - he received USD35.

Someone in Oz wants to pay me for something a little more valuable, and he gets stung AUD30 for currency conversion fees, and I get over NZD40 of fees deducted before the money gets to me.

I wouldn't be bothered if I was making anything out of the deal!

Any suggestions for a better way? International bank transfers are reliable in that money gets from account A to account B, but the vagaries of bank exchange rates and bank charges mean that you rarely have an exact idea of how much money will be received.

Unless Paypal have recently changed their fees, doesn't cost the buyer anything to use the service, charge goes to the seller?

I have increasingly been getting customers wanting to pay by credit card instead of the rig moral dealing with their corporate finance system, so have been using Stripe since Xero launched it, i assume anyone can set up an account. used it a handful of times and seems to work fine, user interface could do with a bit of work but hey.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Unless Paypal have recently changed their fees, doesn't cost the buyer anything to use the service, charge goes to the seller?

I have increasingly been getting customers wanting to pay by credit card instead of the rig moral dealing with their corporate finance system, so have been using Stripe since Xero launched it, i assume anyone can set up an account. used it a handful of times and seems to work fine, user interface could do with a bit of work but hey.

Interesting... I'm not a business - can/does it work for private individuals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay family or friend = you pay the fee

Pay for goods or services = receiver pays the fee

 

Been like that for years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, HaNs said:

Pay family or friend = you pay the fee

Pay for goods or services = receiver pays the fee

 

Been like that for years 

It's been quite a while since I used PayPal to receive a payment... And when both I (as recipient) and the sender got stung, I was a bit surprised.
Ho hum. Live and learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting my boot stuck closed. With things I need in it :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen a few Aussie companies selling their goods on TM lately, especially in the MB parts section, they list about a thousand of the same item (eg three pages full of brake pads), same picture and description, only thing that differs is the "model" they put in the header. Clogs up the entire section. Browsing on the TM app is near impossible, used to be able to file a complaint about it, but that options been removed now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dn540 said:

Seen a few Aussie companies selling their goods on TM lately, especially in the MB parts section, they list about a thousand of the same item (eg three pages full of brake pads), same picture and description, only thing that differs is the "model" they put in the header. Clogs up the entire section. Browsing on the TM app is near impossible, used to be able to file a complaint about it, but that options been removed now.

TradeMe is an Australian company now, only place to complain is amongst themselves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dn540 said:

Seen a few Aussie companies selling their goods on TM lately, especially in the MB parts section, they list about a thousand of the same item (eg three pages full of brake pads), same picture and description, only thing that differs is the "model" they put in the header. Clogs up the entire section. Browsing on the TM app is near impossible, used to be able to file a complaint about it, but that options been removed now.

Try browsing the "Seats" category in general parts. Now full of holden seat covers from an Aussie company. Went from 200ish listings to 450+ overnight, makes browsing for race seats a pain in the arse!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

indeed, that's something that TradeMe has lacked for more than a decade:  a decent search engine.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's turned into eBay... except everything costs more, and the range isn't there!

The search engine at Bidbud.co.nz is better, and has more options. After searching, you can exclude categories etc, but it's still got the trademe backend, and has to comply with their API's, but it far cleaner and better laid out, same trademe auctions though.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2017 at 9:05 PM, Olaf said:

indeed, that's something that TradeMe has lacked for more than a decade:  a decent search engine.

The live searches are terrible. And the expired listings searches are all-but non-existent. Absolute rubbish.

Nothing some more search filtering, or filtering of search results wouldn't cure.

And the results... Search for something valued up to (say) $5k, and get results for things starting at $17k. Kinda defeats the object.

Filtering older car searches by year is terrible too, with 10-year brackets to select. Looking for something between 1985 and 1995 means you have to trawl through everything from 1980 to 2000. Assuming the seller has been bothered to advertise something correctly...

Right. That's enough for today. Sunday morning, the sun is shining. Wife and daughter are out for a while. I'll get something useful done, then perhaps we'll pop out and enjoy the sun for a while. :)

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling your latest purchase to bits to find-

Genuine BMW water pump. Plastic impeller. Bad.

No coolant. Only water. Since at least 2014. Bad.

Corrosion setting in between said water pump and block due to lack of antifreeze. Bad.

Power steering fluid is brown. Bad.

Brake fluid is milky. Bad.

The toolkit was in with the spare wheel because otherwise the tired old struts won't hold the boot open. Sigh...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now