Apex

Quick rant thread.

19 hours ago, gjm said:

Prices.

Just seen a near mint E28 535iS 5-speed manual for sale (in the US). Seller is dropping his price from $5000 because it's not selling...
Dinan chip, LSD, near-new Bilstein shocks and H&R springs, new tyres...

Where abouts in the US?  Not Houston I hope.  Don't mind holding something for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Driftit said:

Where abouts in the US?  Not Houston I hope.  Don't mind holding something for you.

Do you have tax-free status in the US? :)

I can facilitate US sales too, in New Hampshire, where there is no sales tax. Reach out if you're keen.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Driftit said:

45 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Do you have tax-free status in the US? :)

I can facilitate US sales too, in New Hampshire, where there is no sales tax. Reach out if you're keen.

It's in Washington...
Not going to be pursuing that one - aside from it being LHD, my comment was just a reflection on the difference in pricing.

At some point though, once I get things sorted here, it may be interesting to explore the tax-free aspect.

4 minutes ago, gjm said:

It's in Washington...
Not going to be pursuing that one - aside from it being LHD, my comment was just a reflection on the difference in pricing.

At some point though, once I get things sorted here, it may be interesting to explore the tax-free aspect.

Washington state, or DC? :)

My brother works at a large Audi/BMW dealership and has a lot of experience exporting from the US. Can hook anyone up who's keen (and serious.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Washington state, or DC? :)

I'd forgotten that Washington State is (literally) the opposite side of the country to DC!

Issaquah, WA.

14 minutes ago, gjm said:

I'd forgotten that Washington State is (literally) the opposite side of the country to DC!

Issaquah, WA.

Indeed. That's a wee bit out of the way, alas. ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gjm said:

Issaquah, WA.

Ah yes WA is a little further away from me.  My old HR lady got excited when i told her I was moving to Washington.  They had work for me.  Everyone got excited until I mentioned it as DC.

• Like 2

Ripco. How do they get away with their exorbitant prices?? 

For example, they're selling this filter for $27!! The Mahle filter, for comparison, costs just ~$6.40 (converted to NZD) on FCP euro. The Repco junk has about 1/3 less filter material than the Mahle and is made in Indonesia. Mahle is made in Austria. The holes on the thread side of the filter are also larger on the Mahle, I can only assume this helps the oil flow better. 

Repco also tried to charge me $40 for 1m of fuel line, what a joke. Went to Supercheap, $12 per metre. 

I'm sure this kind of thing doesn't only exist in the automotive industry. And people wonder why they're losing business to online sales from overseas...

36638843060_905378f772_z.jpg.cf86d3431d776008570fdd90732667bd.jpg

36894671301_08066dae3e_z.jpg.d50f49df6fe40c669e8e3e05e50ce466.jpg
Ignore the sawdust on the used Mahle, it's been sitting in the workshop.

Needless to say I will be returning the Ripco filter.

/rant

Edited by Kepes
  • Like 1

Auto Super Shoppes are similarly priced.

BNT are better but may not have the brand choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, musccoo said:

@Kepes is that for a m20? kinda looks like you've been given the wrong one from Repco..

Yeah it's for the M20. I think it's the right one as it has a Ryco part # on it too which matches what I took off the car when I bought it. The Ryco unit is the same size as the Mahle

Edited by Kepes

The one on the left is half the size of an M20 one, its definitely not the 'correct' one.  You can use it and it wont have any problem, but just sayin..

Z88A as it says on it, is the full size one

Edited by musccoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kepes said:

Ripco. How do they get away with their exorbitant prices?? 

For example, they're selling this filter for $27!! The Mahle filter, for comparison, costs just ~$6.40 (converted to NZD) on FCP euro. The Repco junk has about 1/3 less filter material than the Mahle and is made in Indonesia. Mahle is made in Austria. The holes on the thread side of the filter are also larger on the Mahle, I can only assume this helps the oil flow better. 

Repco also tried to charge me $40 for 1m of fuel line, what a joke. Went to Supercheap, $12 per metre. 

I'm sure this kind of thing doesn't only exist in the automotive industry. And people wonder why they're losing business to online sales from overseas...

Ignore the sawdust on the used Mahle, it's been sitting in the workshop.

Needless to say I will be returning the Ripco filter.

/rant

FCP Fanclub checking in!

There was someone new to the forums recently asking if it was hyperbole when we'd write things like "300% markup on parts in NZ sometimes" alas, no...

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 1

I assure you, I only mark up the pricing by 200% ... someone has to ensure the boss gets his 6th rental mortgage paid and boat serviced.

• Like 2

On 31/08/2017 at 4:35 PM, gjm said:

Prices.

Just seen a near mint E28 535iS 5-speed manual for sale (in the US). Seller is dropping his price from $5000 because it's not selling...
Dinan chip, LSD, near-new Bilstein shocks and H&R springs, new tyres...

And... a 1988 Euro-spec M535i in NY state for US$2500.
Actually, it's not in great condition, but the gearbox could be useful!

What software? If you're in Auckland I have it all here. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pldubs said:

Waiting in line for 2 hours at VTNZ 

I left VTNZ the other day due a the queue that wasn't moving as I saw staff pack up their bags and end their shift.

Went to the Post Office, took <5 mins.

Just now, M3AN said:

I left VTNZ the other day due a the queue that wasn't moving as I saw staff pack up their bags and end their shift.

Went to the Post Office, took <5 mins.

Happens all over the place - supermarkets, banks, government offices... Dozens of people queuing, but it's time for my break - see ya!

I kinda sympathise, but it does look bad.

4 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

What software? If you're in Auckland I have it all here. 

All of it! INPA, SSS Progman, NCS Expert, DIS, EDIABAS, the TIS... there's a whole fruit salad of abbreviations

Very kind of you to offer but I am in the Bay of Plenty

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

How do I tell if I've got the internet?

Open up your computer and see if there are any megabytes left in the tank. 

• Like 1