Apex

Quick rant thread.

1 hour ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Does your insurance company not allow you to get a dealer to do the repair Chris?

WIll call them in a second, but yes it'll be going to BMW now.... In fairness I tried Novus for a windscreen on the 130 a few years ago and they didnt bring the right windshield (same deal, no rain sensor) and cancelled it. Shame on me for trying them again I guess...

I cant believe the hack job reinstall of the cowl around the wipers, there is a literally a inch between the seal and glass. Dude must have been on another planet. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

WIll call them in a second, but yes it'll be going to BMW now.... In fairness I tried Novus for a windscreen on the 130 a few years ago and they didnt bring the right windshield (same deal, no rain sensor) and cancelled it. Shame on me for trying them again I guess...

I cant believe the hack job reinstall of the cowl around the wipers, there is a literally a inch between the seal and glass. Dude must have been on another planet. 

Smith and Smith in Albany did what sounds like an equally as bad job on my old E30.  Was an utter sh*t job.

Novus and Smith & Smith are as bad as each other. Under-paid staff, poor quality glass (when it fits) and barely adequate (if you're lucky) fitting. Attention to detail is often lacking, care of vehicle similarly disappointing.
Yet they get lots of positive feedback...?

A friend has an Isuzu Gemini TC coupe. Great little car - GMs 'world car' from the late 70s. Opel Kadett, Holden/Isuzu Gemini, etc. Went to get a screen for it and was categorically assured these cars never came with a top tint - which is b*ll*cks. Of course they did. It's just that the cheap glass suppliers don't make one.

Unfortunately glass supply is some of the issue. My Merc W126? I'm looking for a good used front screen as they are no longer made. And that's going to become an increasing problem for may vehicles in years to come.

Edited by gjm

14 hours ago, Jacko said:

Be very careful doing this, I took the M5 to BMW for a replacement screen after being told by my insurer that I could, only to be told after the repair was done that they would only pay the value of an aftermarket screen, leaving me with a $1500 bill. I managed to argue the point and get them to pay it but it was a massive hassle!!

Insurance companies are being tough on dealers doing windscreens and often only accept it if genuine glass is fitted currently. We don't do anything unless we have confirmation in writing from the insurance company that all costs are approved because it causes to many headaches

Try some of the smaller guys.  We have a local bunch down here (Wairarapa Glass).  They were awesome recently when I replaced the screen on my oddball Daihatsu F78.  I just stood around drinking a beer and yarned to the guy.  He actually gave a sh*t about installing it correctly so as not to damage the frame and cause more rust.

The systems incorporated in the windscreen glass these days are very complicated and need expert repairers and not cowboys repairing them. I would not go outside the dealer to replace mine on the Kona. It has Auto lights, Auto wipers, radar and a recognition camera built into the center screen module. Just to add. It recognizes the difference between a lamp post and a human  coming close to the vehicle while driving

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

15 hours ago, gjm said:

Novus and Smith & Smith are as bad as each other. Under-paid staff, poor quality glass (when it fits) and barely adequate (if you're lucky) fitting. Attention to detail is often lacking, care of vehicle similarly disappointing.
Yet they get lots of positive feedback...?

Pretty sure both Novus and Smith & Smith are franchised? So it basically comes down to the local operator and their staff. Some will be good, others not so.

Word of mouth on who to trust is always helpful, found a really good guy in Palmy but not got one in Aucks yet.

And on top of the quality of the installer is the quality of the glass they have access to. I had glass replaced 3 times, the final time by (what was then) Team McMillan BMW, in my M3 in around 2005 ish. Neither of the first two (alternative market) screens sealed perfectly and one was even installed crooked ffs. State insurance eventually gave in and paid the full cost at BMW, the result has lasted nearly 15 years.

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Pretty sure both Novus and Smith & Smith are franchised? So it basically comes down to the local operator and their staff. Some will be good, others not so.

Word of mouth on who to trust is always helpful, found a really good guy in Palmy but not got one in Aucks yet.

Novus Adelaide Road, Newtown, Wellington are very good.  Reuben is a BMW enthusiast and sometime contributer on here.

NZPost. Again...

Parcel took 3 days to get from sender (in US) to Auckland airport. USPS tracking updated up to 3 times a day with progress, including clearing disembarkation at Auckland.

1.5 days later, NZPost acknowledged arrival in Auckland.
Another 1.5 days, and they tell me it's held 'for processing'.
Another day (up to yesterday) and it's up for "Import Duty and Tax Assessment".

So it's already taken NZPost longer to get a parcel from a plane and into a warehouse than it took for a US company to get it from a US-based business to the aircraft door in Auckland.

Could be another 5 days before I hear what the results of the 'assessment' are.

For reference - stated value on the parcel is (US) $197.50 + $105 p&p, so it's not like I've got a box of camshafts coming in as a gift, or even with a massive undervaluation!
(As a side note, it'd be interesting to know how NZPost decide whether something is for "business or commercial use" or is a personal import, and what difference this might make to duties, etc.)

Things may have changed regarding business vs personal, but i'm pretty sure zero flying fricks are given. 

Same rule, they will collect If the GST/Duty/Charges exceed NZ$60 on the entire purchase (Value of goods AND freight (I think the last part is bullshit)) at the time of landing. 

They tried to frick me on the last part one time, as my USD$WHATEVER was NZ$398ish charged to my card, but by the time it arrived the NZD had dropped in value and my goods became worth NZ$405ish.

I sent them a copy of my credit card statement showing NZ$398ish deducted by the vendor and basically told them to get fricked, and they let it through.

Edited by EUROLESS
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EUROLESS said:

Things may have changed regarding business vs personal, but i'm pretty sure zero flying fricks are given. 

Same rule, they will collect If the GST/Duty/Charges exceed NZ$60 on the entire purchase (Value of goods AND freight (I think the last part is bullshit)) at the time of landing. 

They tried to frick me on the last part one time, as my USD$WHATEVER was NZ$398ish charged to my card, but by the time it arrived the NZD had dropped in value and my goods became worth NZ$405ish.

I sent them a copy of my credit card statement showing NZ$398ish deducted by the vendor and basically told them to get fricked, and they let it through.

I'm not fussed about there being duties due - that's a given. One of those suck-it-up things. Still half the price of buying here.

It's just that it takes them so

bloody

<tumbleweed>

long...

to get things sorted. They seem completely useless and totally incapable of getting something very straightforward sorted. If I wasn't saving hundreds of $$$ I'd've bought locally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gjm said:

NZPost. Again...

Parcel took 3 days to get from sender (in US) to Auckland airport. USPS tracking updated up to 3 times a day with progress, including clearing disembarkation at Auckland.

1.5 days later, NZPost acknowledged arrival in Auckland.
Another 1.5 days, and they tell me it's held 'for processing'.
Another day (up to yesterday) and it's up for "Import Duty and Tax Assessment".

So it's already taken NZPost longer to get a parcel from a plane and into a warehouse than it took for a US company to get it from a US-based business to the aircraft door in Auckland.

Could be another 5 days before I hear what the results of the 'assessment' are.

For reference - stated value on the parcel is (US) $197.50 + $105 p&p, so it's not like I've got a box of camshafts coming in as a gift, or even with a massive undervaluation!
(As a side note, it'd be interesting to know how NZPost decide whether something is for "business or commercial use" or is a personal import, and what difference this might make to duties, etc.)

I think I’ve recommended this before.  Use FedEx.  And if your supplier in the US doesn’t, sign up with MyUS.com, so you can control how and when.  And you can choose FedEx.

NZPost, UPS, USPS, all largely dysfunctional as soon as customs charges are concerned.

• Like 1

Shes not a good week for the 130. f**ken asswipe is a white au falcon, if ya hit someones car, sh*t happens, but be a f**ken man and sort it. 

71203578_10156177697152693_6237502491978629120_o.jpg

70925842_10156177697087693_1521673846019588096_n.jpg

• Sad 1

Did the guy just drive off? Did you see it happen?

32 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I think I’ve recommended this before.  Use FedEx.  And if your supplier in the US doesn’t, sign up with MyUS.com, so you can control how and when.  And you can choose FedEx.

NZPost, UPS, USPS, all largely dysfunctional as soon as customs charges are concerned.

USPS I've never had a problem with. They pick up, they deliver, they report and update.
The problem is the carrier handover to NZPost... Of course, that's where Fedex scores. ?

2 minutes ago, zero said:

Did the guy just drive off? Did you see it happen?

Nah parked next to it at the gym. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, gjm said:

USPS I've never had a problem with. They pick up, they deliver, they report and update.
The problem is the carrier handover to NZPost... Of course, that's where Fedex scores. ?

I’m looking end-to-end.  Outcomes.

UPS are okay - a little haphazard - until you get to their customs/brokerage.

As you say, USPS hand off to NZ Post.

I think the new changes - eliminating IETF in favour of GST - will improve some aspects of the process.

I’ll continue to reward FedEx for their service excellence for Joe Punter.

NZPost has always been the worst and I avoid them wherever possible.

My orders from Schmeidmann come straight to my door from Europe within a few days - its pretty impressive.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I’ll continue to reward FedEx for their service excellence for Joe Punter.

I wonder how FedEx deal with "the New Zealand border assessment requirements".

NZPost assure punters these are necessary, in line with legislation, and there's nothing they can do to speed things up. Yet other carriers don't seem to need the "up to 5 days" to issue a notification, get items into the delivery network faster than "within 2 working days", and typically deliver next day and not with a "delivery target [of] up to 3 working days nationwide."

Assuming I respond instantaneously, that could be 10 days before delivery, and that's after finally acknowledging something the overseas carrier knew about nearly 2 days earlier!

OK. Where do we complain?

(And yes - I'll have a word with the supplier about FedEx... Only issue with FedEx has been the sometimes extraordinary charges they seem to have applied to shipments, when asked.)

Graham, NZPost is government owned so complaints wont get you anywhere.

If they perform badly (which they do) then they lose customers but they still have a job because they are funded from the taxpayer.

If a private company performs badly then they lose customers and eventually close, so they are incentivised to perform better.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, zero said:

NZPost has always been the worst and I avoid them wherever possible.

My orders from Schmeidmann come straight to my door from Europe within a few days - its pretty impressive.

Oh yes of course, I was forgetting DHL!  And - they hand off to PO Boxes, which is awesome.

Props to DHL.

12 hours ago, gjm said:

I wonder how FedEx deal with "the New Zealand border assessment requirements".

NZPost assure punters these are necessary, in line with legislation, and there's nothing they can do to speed things up. Yet other carriers don't seem to need the "up to 5 days" to issue a notification, get items into the delivery network faster than "within 2 working days", and typically deliver next day and not with a "delivery target [of] up to 3 working days nationwide."

Assuming I respond instantaneously, that could be 10 days before delivery, and that's after finally acknowledging something the overseas carrier knew about nearly 2 days earlier!

OK. Where do we complain?

(And yes - I'll have a word with the supplier about FedEx... Only issue with FedEx has been the sometimes extraordinary charges they seem to have applied to shipments, when asked.)

They do it all before your package has left the US, proactively contact you, email you the details, and advise that if you pay before x date, there will be no delay at the border.  Service, really.  They make it work.  Hooray for service, and processes that work.

FWIW I've never had any questionable charges on FedEx, as they source it all from the shipping information.  FCP always get this right.  MyUS always get this right.  Garbage in, Garbage out.

Hint:  FCP Euro use FedEx as a shipping option, and it's usually the cheapest option.  HTH

• Like 2