Apex

Quick rant thread.

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hint:  FCP Euro use FedEx as a shipping option, and it's usually the cheapest option.  HTH

Sadly FCP Euro would have cost nearly twice as much (in this instance) - lots of research went into my purchases. Normally does... When there's hundreds of $$$ to be saved, I'm happy to spend some of my own time finding where those savings are!

Pelican are also good on parts. sadly, I've found that 'x'tensioner is cheaper at FCP, while 'y'pump is cheaper at Pelican. And they don't typically price match (even for identical items) - I asked.

For something as relatively simple as this (requesting payment for duties), there really is no excuse for such shoddy service. I just keep reminding myself that I've saved money!

Edited by gjm

Graham, another option could be to split your order so your cost is less than $400nzd per order and then you avoid the customs delay.

32 minutes ago, zero said:

Graham, another option could be to split your order so your cost is less than $400nzd per order and then you avoid the customs delay.

Only catch here, the $400 amount isn't a per consignment thing, its actually a daily thing, if you have multiple show up at the same time you're screwed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Side note, BMParts are often in the ballpark of FCP/Pelican + Freight for some items. Pays to check. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EUROLESS said:

Side note, BMParts are often in the ballpark of FCP/Pelican + Freight for some items. Pays to check. 

On this occasion it was Mercedes parts I'm after. To give an idea of the price difference, one part (from a significant NZ-based supplier) was listed (with discount) at NZ$110. To buy from the US or UK, the same part (by possibly a different/better manufacturer) lists at (equivalent) NZ$35. Plus shipping, of course.

As Charlie says - NZ Customs are cracking down on multiple shipments now, and (I'm advised) keeping records. So even if you place 3 sub-$400 orders at FCP, if they arrive in a timeframe considered to make them the same consignment, tax and duties will be levied.

The secret is to plan well ahead, and/or order from different suppliers.

I tried Pelican, found that saving a few bucks on a few parts wasn't worth the hassle.  Overall FCP work out cheaper/better, particularly when you factor in how much time you spend clearing packages from other providers.

Hint 2:  Use nzcustoms website 'what's my duty' tab.

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hint 2:  Use nzcustoms website 'what's my duty' tab.

Been using it for years! :)

• Like 1

I recently ordered $1000 worth from FCP and whilst I split it into sub-400 dollar lots (including shipping) and ordered over several days some items still arrived in country on the same day, even delivered to me in the same van, and I wasn't pinged.

As it turns out, for that $1000 I ended up paying $120 more for shipping but saved over $500 in duty, taxes and administration fees. The new rules will mean I'll pay $120 less for shipping and about $200 more for duty and taxes, a net $80 extra, on $1000 worth of goods.

The goods, if purchased from BMW NZ would have cost me $2286.

No chance I'm going to start buying locally, it's just a tax grab by the Government, it's not going to help local companies at all.

• Like 5

Went to buy some Castro 5w30 from Repco who has it for $55 a bottle. Thought I might as well get an oil filter too. $50 for a Ryco filter. A cheap paper cartridge filter. $50.

FCP Euro. $5usd and it comes with all the new seals of which the Ryco did not. 

Actually the whole oil change kit from FCP is only $60usd.  So f**k Repco. I will order it from FCP. 

I'm done with buying sh*t from Supercheap, Repco and the like. It's not even worth it for the small cheap stuff. 

• Like 2

Try BNT for oil filters, I was pleasantly surprised 12 months or so ago.

4 hours ago, Driftit said:

Went to buy some Castro 5w30 from Repco who has it for $55 a bottle. Thought I might as well get an oil filter too. $50 for a Ryco filter. A cheap paper cartridge filter. $50.

FCP Euro. $5usd and it comes with all the new seals of which the Ryco did not. 

Actually the whole oil change kit from FCP is only $60usd.  So f**k Repco. I will order it from FCP. 

I'm done with buying sh*t from Supercheap, Repco and the like. It's not even worth it for the small cheap stuff. 

Those ryco filters are garbage too, I had one that had chunks of hotglue falling out of it, took it back.

"bulk" packs of 6 or so genuine ones pop up on amazon/ebay often for the same price as one "preschoolers art project" ryco one. 

Yup, I just ordered a sh*t tonne of hengst filters (the best) from fcpeuro for the equivalent of about $10nzd each including shipping. The Ryco ones are rubbish and more than three times the price.

• Like 1

BM Parts has the hengst oil cartridge filters for my E90 for around $12 trade. The ryco are rediculous. $40 or some sh*t. 

6 hours ago, EUROLESS said:

BM Parts has the hengst oil cartridge filters for my E90 for around $12 trade. The ryco are rediculous. $40 or some sh*t. 

They are what we used on all Euros unless they were still under new vehicle  warranty

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

They are what we used on all Euros unless they were still under new vehicle  warranty

Good to know.  Will grab a few of them.

Been a month of waiting on items from the USA.

Decided to give Youshop a go again after a break from them. Big mistake.

They send me a notice that customs fees and gst are due, won't tell me how much or how to pay. For an additional $60 they will gain you that privilege, by being your 'broker' LOL LOL get f u c k e d !

Or, you can do it your self. So I did. Send through the required info, then get the automatic reply saying they are a week behind in processing. Wait a week, and still nothing. Grrrrrr.

So as we know 1st of December is the 'cut-off' date from avoiding gst and other fees for items < ~$400. So yep, understandable, lots of orders coming in.... 

No issues with paying the gst, but waiting for 2 weeks for some c**t to process some fees is pretty piss poor.

• Like 1

I really think all the GST palaver being lobbied by the cry baby new Zealand shops collective won't be as effective as they imagine to get people to shop locally. 

A 15% increase? Things I import are sometimes half the price of local. If the price is within 15% I tend to just buy locally anyway to avoid the delay and simplify returns or warranty issues. Plus I often put things through my business and I get the gst back anyway. 

If they streamline the process, and drop the $60 broker fee, which often is damn close to the GST being collected I'll give zero f**ks. 

• Like 4

Kid in a slammed E46 nearly wiped himself out trying to follow me over the Remutakas today. Little damp. Poor lines. sh*t suspension (prob cut springs).

sh*t there is some bad drivers on that hill. 

44 minutes ago, Driftit said:

On these islands... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Kid in a slammed E46 nearly wiped himself out trying to follow me over the Remutakas today. Little damp. Poor lines. sh*t suspension (prob cut springs).

Certainty not limited by area. I've seen many people cause some hefty damage in my rear view over the years. When they hit someone else is when it becomes a bit unpleasant.

It's my first time living semi rural. Usually the speeds the bad drivers are going in city environments are a little lower.

• Haha 1

The Mandalorian FTW!

Such a great show for Star Wars nuts.

In the time honoured tradition of going wrong at just about the worst possible time, Miss M has come to visit us in our idyllic corner of NZ.

No - that's not the problem. :) We love to see her.

The problem is that her car has decided now is the time to need a new wheel bearing. Firmly grasp and wriggle the n/s/f front wheel, and you can feel and hear movement. I suppose we might get lucky and find some piece of suspension is slightly worn, but let's be realistic - what are the chances of that?

So, two days before Christmas, she needs a new wheel bearing. And she has to drive back to Hamilton on the 28th.

Being the kinda guy I am, I always sort this stuff before it gets to the catastrophic failure stage - how bad does it get before it collapses completely?