Apex

Quick rant thread.

56 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Just suck it up Nathan. Be grateful that you were actually able to get a flight back to NZ. Allot can't get back now from all over the world. Two weeks self isolation is bugger all to complete and please do the right thing with this. Many will rely on your actions.

I think you’ve missed the point - I am in isolation and having been in the US as everything started to shutdown around me, I have more idea than most as to the reality and the importance of our own actions. 

Even more reason to just suck it up ?

The inconvenience of having to do certain things to comply with the situation we now find ourselves in is just something we all just have to suck it up and do our very best to comply. And I too understand what I need to do in my situation which is now been made worse by Covid-19. My wife has stage 4 TC and has to have chemo every 3 weeks for the rest of her life here with me. No visitors and brief visitations by family at a distance. I can now only go out for absolute necessities. 

• Like 10

89768745_10222034417636397_2755264349797875712_n.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry Chris, but I don't think the situation NZ & the World are now in is a joking matter. The time for jokes another time please. This is now really serious sh*t we are now all in. Stay safe everyone and please comply. 

• Like 1

Which is exactly why its time to smile at silly stuff, while everyone's stuck at home worrying about the end of the world as we know it :)

There are going to be some really shiny cars on the road in 4 weeks time..

• Like 4

Was given three options at work: -

1. Work from office some days, and use annual leave for some

2. work at office some days and use govt paid leave (which doesn't cover rent)

3. take entire 4 weeks off but either annual leave or govt paid. 

so, am I screwed or what? this is still early days, will hash it out tomorrow and hopefully sense will prevail, not the greed for money (HAH) 

• Like 1

Im self employed, doing mostly engineering consulting work and face to face training, so its essentially game over and I live on savings and the governments payout for 4+ weeks... and then we spend the next few years paying it all off. 

Could be worse, we could be in the US. 

• Like 1

...or Italy.

I don't even get that meme, I used to watch TWD (before it became intolerable) and I understand the Eptsein saga but what, is it just because he's already dead? So the meme could equally be Kenny Rodgers (for example)? If so, it's not a particularly good meme. But I've probably missed a subtlety.

@lord_jagganath - depends, how many employees at your organisation? Are you union aligned? Can you work from home (even partially)?

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Sorry Chris, but I don't think the situation NZ & the World are now in is a joking matter. The time for jokes another time please. This is now really serious sh*t we are now all in. Stay safe everyone and please comply. 

Humour is what’s going to get a lot of people through this. Even if I don’t get the meme. ?

• Like 1

Its OK, it is a high level meme. 

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

@lord_jagganath - depends, how many employees at your organisation? Are you union aligned? Can you work from home (even partially)?

family owned, same number of employees as there are owners. not union. and in theory I can work from home.

that is what puzzles me. will update once we have a sit down tomorrow. 

32 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

family owned, same number of employees as there are owners. not union. and in theory I can work from home.

that is what puzzles me. will update once we have a sit down tomorrow. 

there is nothing to understand.Unless you are essential industry or service you go home and stay home from wednesday midnight at the latest..You only go out for food,medicines etc.The idea is if we are forced to stay away from each other we will virtually stop the spreadof it.,otherwise every one that gets infected infects three others.Its fairly simple maths what happens if that is allowed to happen 1>3>9>27>71.......In no time at all our health system is full .We gotta stop the spread of it.

• Like 6

So important for everyone to play their part in this. Wife's a GP and it's so crazy hearing about how lightly some are taking this. 

• Like 1

this is serious.Some models say that if the US doesnt get their sh*t together there could be 10 million dead.Thats crazy stuff,esp for someone with a daughter in Boston.

They may learn the hard way that a little governance is actually a good thing.

i will look for that paper re the figures above

4 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

this is serious.Some models say that if the US doesnt get their sh*t together there could be 10 million dead.Thats crazy stuff,esp for someone with a daughter in Boston.

They may learn the hard way that a little governance is actually a good thing.

i will look for that paper re the figures above

And the presidunce is talking of relaxing stay-at-home reqs in order to boost business. 

Bear in mind that's in a country where uninsured ill people go bankrupt with medical bills. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gjm said:

And the presidunce is talking of relaxing stay-at-home reqs in order to boost business. 

Bear in mind that's in a country where uninsured ill people go bankrupt with medical bills. 

Its going to be "interesting" times, we might see a very rapid shift in world powers. If China is on the mend, and Russias instant heavy border lock down and resulting low covid 19 cases, are to be believed. 

The US is screwed, the tipping point for most states to lock it all down was a few days ago.. its inevitable the system falls over there now.

• Like 1

Considered essential as we service the dairy/wine industry. (that is how my boss interprets it)

Edit: What is pissing me of now is that they (owners) are now talking about doing DIY stuff when they will be staying at home and we are still unsure on how things are going to work for us, the "workers" .

Edited by lord_jagganath
pure distilled rage

My business is online run from home and couriers are still running so I am essentially still in business.  

we have bought our computers home so we can work from home.We have new vpn logins to be able to access the work intranet.What we do is a,most perfect for work from home,except they really need one of on the actual factory site to deal with "issues"

i feel for the bosses in some ways.They dont really know whats going on .Out top tier management is changing things every half day.Some of the boys in the factory are very very unhappy when they are told two different stories in one day

Consider yourself lucky you can work from home. A lot of unfortunate people have no work at all, im sure there will be a fair share of people that have no job to return to once this is over as well.

• Sad 1

Not sure if I've understood this right but employers can request for $585 times x 12 weeks = $7K PER number of staff (working over 20 hours) then get paid a lump sum in their business account. Then they can choose to pay the staff per week/4 weeks worth/staggered/whatever they want???

I heard rumours/stories of employers getting this payout then immediately laying off staff or forcing them to use annual leave (even in advance if they dont have enough).

?????

18 minutes ago, qube said:

Not sure if I've understood this right but employers can request for $585 times x 12 weeks = $7K PER number of staff (working over 20 hours) then get paid a lump sum in their business account. Then they can choose to pay the staff per week/4 weeks worth/staggered/whatever they want???

I heard rumours/stories of employers getting this payout then immediately laying off staff or forcing them to use annual leave (even in advance if they dont have enough).

?????

Yeah Ive heard the same, its pretty bad. Im self employed, and my boss is a prick, but some people are real pricks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, qube said:

Not sure if I've understood this right but employers can request for $585 times x 12 weeks = $7K PER number of staff

was under the impression you need to prove that you would lose more than 30% of your turnover to qualify for that? 

https://www.business.govt.nz/news/coronavirus-information-for-businesses/#e-20169

and then laying off staff would be bad juju imo. the employment office would probably come down hard on them. 

Edited by lord_jagganath
added link

Wouldnt most businesses that are closing down for a month have $0 turnover during this time whilst having certain fixed expenses still outgoing?

Unless your business was not affected somehow by the situation, I would imagine a majority of businesses will automatically fall under this 30% reduction in turnover for that month at the very least. For example our cafe will have 100% loss in turnover, and even a big loss if we have to continue paying the lease.

I am hearing that from a legal standpoint, employers can force(?) employees to use up their annual leave if they want to be paid during this 4 week period if they cannot work from home. 

Isnt it better for the individual to take a 20% cut and get 80% pay over the 4 weeks (and potentially longer) with the help of the govt subsidy of $585 per person? e.g. if I was earning $1000 a week normally, the govt will pay $585, employer pays $215 so I get $800 per week pay.