Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

Fenix radiators- Quality issues?

Hi team. I have a leaking radiator again in my car. (540i 99 auto)

This is the second one leaking within 16 months.

First FENIX radiator installed:

@ 136k km - November 2013,

to replace the original factory one. At the same time new thermostat and belts and hoses.

Radiator only lasted until:

@140k km - August 2014.

FENIX replaced it within warranty.

Second radiator installed and the system was flushed. Also new radiator cap (original bmw) installed.

Radiator lasted until today:

@143k km - March 2015.

I called Fenix, they say something wrong with your car, blown gasket etc. Nothing wrong with our radiators.

I call other people in the industry, they all say Fenix is bullshiting you. They are crap radiators.

I am stuck. Any similar experience?

Just to add I always use green nulon coolant (ready to use)

Car has no signs of blown gasket.

Thanks heaps.

Edited by dkonsta1

No experience with them but from what you state - certainly they are fobbing you off.

Has it failed the same way as the first replacement did?

Take them to task over it.

Both have failed between the aluminium core and the plastic tank (crimbed)

We have never used any of the imported aftermarket radiators. We only use the German or SA built Behr radiators and genuine BMW coolant

• Like 1

Interesting. One thing that stands out is the failure within 3-4k kms.... 136k-140k-143k

Sounds like a systematic type issue - not just random.

I work for Fenix and recall seeing one of the failed radiators, it was severely bowed out signaling an over pressurized cooling system. Not sure who replaced it, as under those conditions it wasn't a warranty failure.

We sell a number of these radiators and they have a very low failure rate due to quality issues. When they fail it's typically down to engine related issues with the car.

If its definitely not the head gasket it could be some other small issues causing such a problem.

If the cooling system is like a 540i E34, they have a small bypass line that circulates coolant back to the top of the expansion tank - if this is blocked it's going to increase pressure somewhere in the system, typically the radiator.

The radiator cap too must be functioning correctly, if it's not it's not going to maintain cooling pressure and over pressurise the system. After many drives such an overpressurization is going to fatigue parts in the system gradually, such as the radiator.

Has the expansion tank or cap been replaced / check they're in 100% working order?

• Like 1

Yeap. System was checked by bmw jerry Clayton. New radiator cap also as already mentioned. I have no offense for Fenix but most people gave me negative feedback when I mentioned the name. Made in China product etc etc.

I will call you to discuss. Thanks for your input.

I have had no luck with Chinese radiators either, problems with not being able to keep engine cool under load. Funny they claim 35% better cooling than oem radiators. I have no problems with a 20 year old second hand oem radiator.

I bought a Fenix Alloy radiator off Mike and i can only say good things, The design is awesome, the car is running cooler now ( Checked via aftermarket vdo temp gauge )

I personally know that my cooling system is up to date as i have replaced every thing and anything there is to do with the system and therefore hope to have a long life with this radiator :)