Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

mini-rant - some f$#kpig swiped my mirrors

well bugger me. we've been back in niu zild for what, 13 years. our own little bit paradise. house (mortgage), kids, even scraped together coin enough to get a modern replacement for the e30 touring I had to sell leaving blighty.

yesterday morning, the minister for war headed down to the car with our offspring in tow, while I fumbled with shoelaces and alarmed and locked the house. got to the street, admiring the beautiful orientblau metallic, and the faces of my family. only, my significant other is not looking as cheerful.

"notice anything different about the car?" she asks me

hmmm. "errrrr, there's some birdshit on the bonnet"

"no"

"errr I dunno"

"look at the mirrors"

"eh? what... where are the mirrors?"

yes folks, some miserable twunt stole the door mirrors from our e46 overnight.

BROKE them off, rooting the brackets.

not to be outdone, the cut all of the wires.

Fekkers.

thoughts of 'paradise' abandoned; we're actually living in a third world country, where idiots are thieving parts from 13 year old cars.

There must be Karma. I imagine the NZ Herald...

"Dateline Wellington. Man arrived in the early hours of this morning at Wellington Hospital A&E, with funny gait. Doctors later removed car mirror that had been rectally inserted. When interviewed by this reporter, the man claimed he had no recollection of how the mirror - or the boot marks on his posterior - got there. Medical staff were suppressing their guffaws. Police said they were steeling themselves to look in to the matter, but were waiting until breakfast had settled."

So, can anyone explain: is there a new market for e46 mirrors? A black market? Modders - are they great on e36's or Familias? I just don't get it.

I know they're (my touring mirrors) are only for the sedan and wagon; the coupe and convertible have different units; the Ti are unique; the M3 different again. I figured they're pricey. Called insurance, filed police report.

If anyone can help me understand what someone would use my beautiful, orientblau, now-broken, e46 touring mirrors for? Answers on a postcard please.

Meanwhile, if this scumbag needs more mirrors, I have a spare 850 door mirror in my workshop. I'd be very happy to 'introduce' the two of them. Perhaps he'd make the papers. 'wearing' a mirror might give him a new perspective. Choose a more useful direction in life.

Hmmm, direction. It's not like we can see what's around us when we change direction, at the moment. Did I say earlier, this person must be a right koont.

Off to a couple of insurance co nominated repairers tomorrow, to get this underway. Our insurer was great.

/rant

Olaf

• Like 4

That sucks mate. Strange indeed.

Good luck with the claim process.

WTF. Sorry to hear man!

I work in parts for a BMW dealer in Auckland and not even I can explain the demand on wing mirrors.

You are indeed correct that pretty much all of them are different (well the part numbers in our catalogue differ every time so it might be an electrical difference e.t.c), but the uneducated f*$k that stole them will surely figure out that they won't work/fit on whatever piece of crap that they drive.

Simple as that.

Many (many) moons ago, when I was troubled youth, my friends and I used to bike through the streets of Cambridge (UK) on (usually) 'borrowed' push bikes under the influence of this, that and the other. There are lots of narrow residential streets in Cambridge with cars parked the length of them on both sides all day and night. We'd ride down said streets, legs akimbo, booted-feet aimed perfectly at wing mirrors. 5 points for bending it back, 25 for breaking it off.

Not proud of it, but just pointing out that said theft was more likely plain old vandalism. Have a look in your hedge or nearby bins and you might find your busted wing mirrors.

Apologies to anyone whose mirror I broke 25+ years ago.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 4

I feel for you....

18 odd years ago i had my motorsickle parked at Auckland university (on the street with about 200 other bikes). Got to the bike 5pm friday after my last exam of the year to find that some lowlife f**king pondscum had nicked the left side foot peg. Made the ride home on the motorway interesting.....

Found out why it had been nicked the week after when no wrecker had one & i priced one from Shaft......

Not proud of it, but just pointing out that said theft was more likely plain old vandalism. Have a look in your hedge or nearby bins and you might find your busted wing mirrors.

The strange part that sort of points to more than just mindless vandalism to me, is that they cut the wires. didnt pull them out or snap them, cut them. Weirdos.

We shell a shitload of mirrors through work. Usually people driving down narrow streets clipping them and breaking the glass or housing.

I have had four beautiful cars stolen and ended up driving an Alfa Romeo for 7 years, cos no f**ker would still one of those.....now, I have a BMW and preying some dumb sh*t don't steal that now. So feel your pain and most of the time, you will never understand why some f**ker thought your hard earn stuff is better off with them.....

Good luck.

• Like 3

thanks all.

unlikely the vandalism thing - parked against a fence on the side of the street with no footpath, next to a drop onto the street below; they really had to want to get to the left door. no other cars in the street touched on this occasion.

it's just the hassle factor. hey ho.